• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying shoes when your feet have differente sizes?

tuna roll

Reaction score
(I couldn't find anything related on previous posts so here we are)

Hi all! New member looking for advice.

So my right foot is a size 8 and my left is 8.5 (considering Alden sizes). I had them measured my different people and the difference is always the same (about 5-6mm in length).

This of course make trying and buying shoes a challenge. With laced shoes and boots I can get by with a 8.5 - the right shoe feels a bit roomy, I adjust the lacing, kinda works but not ideal. With loafers it's worse - it's either a 8.5 with heel slippage on the right shoe, or a 8 with cramped toes in the left shoe.

I'm looking at a few MTM / bespoke makers but also wondering if there's any way to make RTW shoes better for me. Could a cobbler take a 8.5 shoe and add something to the inside heel or toe area, making it fit like a size 8? I guess then I could use this for my right foot and wear the unaltered 8.5 shoe on my left foot. Any alternatives?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tuna roll

Reaction score
A google search suggests that unless the size difference is 1 1/2 sizes, just buy the larger size. However, split sizes are sometimes available. See here:
https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/blogs/blog-post/shoes-for-different-sized-feet-different-shoe-sizes#:~:text=If%20your%20feet%20have%20more%20than%20a%201%201%2F2,in%20the%20smaller%20foot's%20shoe.

Phillip
Thanks. I'll probably just buy the larger size and see how it goes. I just realized most of my shoes are sized to the smaller foot, which was probably a bad decision.

A 1 1/2 size difference sounds crazy, I'm already bothered by my 0.5 size difference...

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
(I couldn't find anything related on previous posts so here we are)

Hi all! New member looking for advice.

So my right foot is a size 8 and my left is 8.5 (considering Alden sizes). I had them measured my different people and the difference is always the same (about 5-6mm in length).

This of course make trying and buying shoes a challenge. With laced shoes and boots I can get by with a 8.5 - the right shoe feels a bit roomy, I adjust the lacing, kinda works but not ideal. With loafers it's worse - it's either a 8.5 with heel slippage on the right shoe, or a 8 with cramped toes in the left shoe.

I'm looking at a few MTM / bespoke makers but also wondering if there's any way to make RTW shoes better for me. Could a cobbler take a 8.5 shoe and add something to the inside heel or toe area, making it fit like a size 8? I guess then I could use this for my right foot and wear the unaltered 8.5 shoe on my left foot. Any alternatives?

Thanks!
I'm in a very similar situation. My right is (US) 8.5 and my left is 9. I usually end up with buying 9s and then either using an insole or heel pads in my right shoe. However, this doesn't work for loafers. I have been getting 8.5 loafers and that seems to work for *SOME* brands and lasts.

tuna roll

Reaction score
I'm in a very similar situation. My right is (US) 8.5 and my left is 9. I usually end up with buying 9s and then either using an insole or heel pads in my right shoe. However, this doesn't work for loafers. I have been getting 8.5 loafers and that seems to work for *SOME* brands and lasts.
Loafers are definitely the trickiest shoes to get a good fit for me. Mine are all 8’s (sized for my smaller foot, like you) but I hate feeling my crammed toes on the left foot.

Maybe I’ll go bespoke for loafers and RTW for other models.

Do you have a cobbler install the heel pads? Or buy the sticker ones and install yourself?

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I install them myself. They are a bit tricky at first. They are so sticky that if you don't position them correctly, you have to peel them off and usually throw them away. Once you do it a few times, it's easier.

Let's us know about your bespoke experience with the loafers.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Let's us know about your bespoke experience with the loafers.
Will do! I’d love to order one from Seiji McCarthy, love the design. Just need to figure out if I can visit Tokyo or one of his trunk show cities in the US in the right time frames.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things you can try: I find that adhesive tongue pads work better than heel pads to reduce heel slip. They push the foot backwards toward the heel cup. The next thing you can use is a thin insole to reduce volume in the shoe.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Two things you can try: I find that adhesive tongue pads work better than heel pads to reduce heel slip. They push the foot backwards toward the heel cup. The next thing you can use is a thin insole to reduce volume in the shoe.
I’ll try those, thanks.

bjornb17

Reaction score
My right foot is half a size bigger so I just buy the bigger size. I don't wear any pads or anything on the left foot to accommodate. Seems like once the shoes break in they fit just fine without any aids.

tuna roll

Reaction score
My right foot is half a size bigger so I just buy the bigger size. I don't wear any pads or anything on the left foot to accommodate. Seems like once the shoes break in they fit just fine without any aids.
Thanks, I'll try buying my larger size. I realized most of my shoes are either sized to the smaller foot, or somewhere in between, which was probably a bad decision. So apparently I have made the issue bigger than it really is, lol

bjornb17

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try buying my larger size. I realized most of my shoes are either sized to the smaller foot, or somewhere in between, which was probably a bad decision. So apparently I have made the issue bigger than it really is, lol

If it makes you feel better I bought a couple pairs of MTO shoes based on my left foot measurement. I learned the hard way that my right foot was bigger. Had to sell those at a loss and had to re-purchase at the larger size. Oops hahaha

tuna roll

Reaction score
If it makes you feel better I bought a couple pairs of MTO shoes based on my left foot measurement. I learned the hard way that my right foot was bigger. Had to sell those at a loss and had to re-purchase at the larger size. Oops hahaha
hahah I could see myself doing that. It took me a long time (and many shoe purchases) to realize the size difference. Actually someone from Alden Madison pointed it out while measuring my feet - he made sure to measure both, kudos to him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads