• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
Any suggestions for non-elongated toe tuxedo shoes under $275?

I have a strong negative reaction to the aesthetics of the elongated toe box that seems nearly universal now these days. Is there a decent, elegant, lace-up, tuxedo shoe without the elongation?

mianmannoi

Reaction score
Thank you. I hadn't heard of Meermin and they look great. It's taking a bit of a flyer to order from them with no way to try the fit in advance.

Is the Johnston and Murphy Fulcher Plain Toe a reasonably good option?

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats everyone's opinion on the Tux package from SS? Wedding in 2 months and about to pull the trigger...finally.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...P1109ae.html?start=1&cgid=Eveningwear_Package

I do have a black bowtie already, bought it years ago at a BB outlet...and my black captoes are pretty beat up so was thinking on pulling the trigger on this?
It looks ok, if you can use it all. From my quick observation, you will be receiving cheap shoes, another black bow tie (you said you already have 1), Incomplete Tux (no vest or waist covering included), and what appears to be a jacket that looks extremely short.

--
If you do decide to go with a traditional waist covering, you may want to reserve the purchase of yet another bow tie, then find yourself trying to match a covering with 2 different ties. I'd suggest purchasing your tuxedo, then if no covering is included to match the facing, purchase a covering & tie set together, that matches the facing you chose originally.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whats everyone's opinion on the Tux package from SS? Wedding in 2 months and about to pull the trigger...finally.

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...P1109ae.html?start=1&cgid=Eveningwear_Package

I do have a black bowtie already, bought it years ago at a BB outlet...and my black captoes are pretty beat up so was thinking on pulling the trigger on this?

I'd just buy the standalone tux. People here have had good luck with it, but I'd skip the rest of it. No cummerbund and I thought their shirt was annoying since it is meant to be worn w/o waist covering and therefore has five studs (which I guess is OK if you're going to use theirs but sucks if you want to use your own). Shoes look cheap and crappy. You'd be better off spending the extra money for a matching tie/cummerbund (if you can't find a cummerbund to match your tie) and having your shoes reconditioned.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome responses guys, much appreciated. I think I will just go for the tux then. Been searching around a bit, what is the state of the cummerbund? Im a young guy 25 (not sure if that matters), and been getting conflicting opinions on cummberbund vs none...

Last edited:

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
anyone that says none doesn't know what the **** they're talking about.

if you're very cummerbund averse there is good news. you can switch it out for a vest.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear a cummerbund or waistcoat. The cummerbund was introduced as a cooler wearing and slightly more casual option than the traditional lower cut black tie waistcoat. A waist covering is absolutely essential unless your tuxedo is double breasted. Otherwise you are just wearing a black suit with shiny (peak or shawl) lapels.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why one would eschew the cummerbund as it is the singular feature of BT that is most unique to menswear. When I strap on my cummerbund It signals a special evening in the offing. As I have several three piece suits the Formal vest carries nowhere near the same vibe.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see why one would eschew the cummerbund as it is the singular feature of BT that is most unique to menswear. When I strap on my cummerbund It signals a special evening in the offing. As I have several three piece suits the Formal vest carries nowhere near the same vibe.

However, the backless waistcoat / vest, cut low and rounded, is the traditional standard for both formal and semi-formal attire. Cummerbunds are a later alternative. The problem is that too many modern semi-formal three-pieces have the wrong kind of waistcoat (i.e. just a conventional style).

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the studs going down to the waist, what sucks about the shirt?

Also, what is the problem with the shoes?
I would assume the package as a whole cannot warrant lifetime items at the price given...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur