• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That just doesn't seem right in Texas.

It's true. You can carry handguns concealed. However, there are no laws/regulations on long guns (e.g. shotguns, rifles, AK's & AR's etc.) or where you can carry them. They just cannot be fully automatic.

CesarC

Reaction score
I have no idea how I only just discovered this thread, but as someone who jumps at every invitation that specifies black-tie, this is great! I love the style of the thread in how it manages productive commentary as well as pictorial contributions, very cool.

I am not yet fully caught-up on the thread, but one thing I have noticed is that it is extremely difficult to acquire formal-wear at a bargain, though tuxedos are perhaps more find-able than tails. This may be correlated with the traditional social status associated with formal dress and the descendent black-tie, that such garments are designed for occasions whose economic demands imply the means to furnish oneself in appropriate clothing. Nevertheless, over in the thrift/discount brag thread it does rarely happen that someone comes across something serviceable that ends up being worn, and much of it is of serious vintage and/or unique. Any of you have any experience with pre-owned or vintage garments / accessories?

P.S.
In the event that any of you have acquired either black-tie or white-tie or formal day dress items (jackets, tails, shoes, accessories, etc.) on heavy discount or at a steal (thrifted, e-thrifted on eBay and such-like, not your run-of-the-mill 20% off retail sales) -- I humbly request your pictorial and sartorial contributions. This thread is an outgrowth of the thrift/discount thread that showcases exclusively formal-wear and black-tie
bigstar[1].gif
:

spam[1].gif
Announcing:

Thrift Thread Fits: Formal Wear

CesarC

Reaction score
I am fully (ok mostly) prepared for the flack I'll get for this, but I have a question about pairing a bowtie with grosgrain lapels. For context, this is a DB flannel midnight blue tux from the 1940's with wide black grosgrain lapels. The grosgrain is quite different from any I've seen before, with the scale of the cords alternating between two different sizes (one normal-sized, and then one very fine, then back). I have not had any luck finding a matching fabric, so I have given up making a very-closely matching bowtie. Besides, even if I could get the scales right the color would likely be off, since the lapels are quite old and are not in their original deepest black.

So here is what I'm asking: In the event that black grosgrain lapels cannot be matched exactly or near-exactly, should one go for a satin bow or a different scale of grosgrain?

I have read elsewhere that maybe if the grosgrain lapels are in matching midnight blue that a black satin tie would be a nice contrast, but as both fabrics would be black I am not sure if the contrast would be ungainly.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear a black grosgrain bow. Have you asked Budd or Turnbull and Asser if they have any similar grosgrain ties similar to your lapels? I think that would be your best bet.

scotchman

Reaction score
The steady decline of the "black tie" formalilty is synonymous with the overall decline of suit-wearers in the workplace and therefore the general population. Now of course you can still find some Men's Wearhouse/Jos A. Bank shoppers buying one suit and getting three free or whatever, but overall sense of style has been declining since the 70's with an increased sense of informality in everyday culture. It's a real shame no one today knows how to dress, and that's why I'm so thankful there are forums like these that can educate people and bring together fans of "classic menswear" to discuss how suits, shoes, etc. should be worn.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would wear a black grosgrain bow. Have you asked Budd or Turnbull and Asser if they have any similar grosgrain ties similar to your lapels? I think that would be your best bet.

I'd go satin, but that's largely because it's so much easier to tie.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers was so proud of the details of their new Great Gatsby line that they focused on this:

:facepalm:

CesarC

Reaction score
Thanks all for your advice regarding the bow + lapel pairing. I will look into asking Budd and T&A. All of the grosgrain I found in stores was a terrible match, so I went with what I had since I was in a pinch. Only decided to go to the event about a week out, so not much time. It's a winter-weight flannel that will give me some more search time before I have to wear it again, so I'll try to do a better job on the next occasion.

Here was the result, cross-posted to the "Thrift Thread Fits: Formal Wear" thread

With the old-timeyness of the lapels and styling I thought a white linen square was too stodgy, and white silk clashed with the blue flannel. I went for a periwinkle silk, but wasn't sure how I felt about it. The color looks much better in person and is growing on me, but not sold on it yet. Thoughts?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The gatsby tux is really fantastic, but I dont like the vest or bowtie they pair with it.

If it makes you guys feel any better about the state of blacktie, one of my groomsmen has decided to buy a mainline brooksbrothers tux rather than renting. To further encourage this I've decided to pick up all of the furnishings for him.

They've also posed no objections to my rather draconian dress code for this event, in fact everyone is happy that we are not doing anything goofy like matching the bridesmaids or wearing neck ties.

johnvw

Reaction score

The gatsby tux is really fantastic, but I dont like the vest or bowtie they pair with it.

If it makes you guys feel any better about the state of blacktie, one of my groomsmen has decided to buy a mainline brooksbrothers tux rather than renting. To further encourage this I've decided to pick up all of the furnishings for him.

They've also posed no objections to my rather draconian dress code for this event, in fact everyone is happy that we are not doing anything goofy like matching the bridesmaids or wearing neck ties.

Good on you for your exercise of sartorial discipline and your choice to associate with like-minded friends! All the best for the wedding--and beyond!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads