• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on 70/30 barathea wool-mohair blend vs. pure wool barathea? The mohair blend makes the tux a little lustrous, right? Does it have any other properties with regard to drape, wrinkles, breath-ability, etc?

I'm not sure if it comes into play, but I'm thinking about these options in regards to a midnight blue shawl dinner suit...
yes, it would be a SB shawl midnight tux. shooting for something that could work in all seasons, probably 310g range. I'm in the northeast US, so we have all 4 seasons with it getting relatively humid in the summers
My midnight blue dinner suit is a mohair blend. I'm not sure of the exact blend of mohair and wool, but the mohair does add a distinct feel to the cloth. I find it resists wrinkles more effectively than pure wool and possibly is slightly cooler, but not that I really notice. But I think a mohair blend is a good choice for a dinner jacket.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on 70/30 barathea wool-mohair blend vs. pure wool barathea? The mohair blend makes the tux a little lustrous, right? Does it have any other properties with regard to drape, wrinkles, breath-ability, etc?

I'm not sure if it comes into play, but I'm thinking about these options in regards to a midnight blue shawl dinner suit...
Feel will be grittier w/mohair, in my experience. Will wear a bit cooler as well. I prefer the drape of mohair. My pairs of mohair blend fresco feels about as rigid (mercifully tremendously more porous) than my 21oz denim.

Beyond that, I'd mostly focus on looks. You presumably won't be wearing BT enough for wrinkles to become a viable concern, so unless you run oven hot and/or have a pro-mo bias, just go with what looks better to you.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Crossposting this, since I don't think I've ever contributed to this thread.

Yesterday, I let our kids go through my drawers to pass some of this time at home. My daughter came across a set of cufflinks and studs and asked me what they were for. I told her it was for a tuxedo and explained that that was what I might wear for an event when her mommy wore a long, fancy dress. She had me dig up it up from storage and put on the whole rig, except for socks. Hadn't worn it, perhaps since before she was born (and possibly since before this thread was born). Shown with slightly long shelter-in-place hair.
View attachment 1368559
Looks great, man. You should wear it ‘properly’ again the first chance you get.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
img_2571.jpg

Caraceni DJ with Hermes lining...interesting piece from one of the greats to say the least

Attachments

• img_0032.jpg
    img_0032.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 53
  • img_0053.jpg
    img_0053.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 56
  • img_0054.jpg
    img_0054.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 73

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also would like to take a straw poll...for my new shantung faced single breasted shawl in dark navy mohair fresco, should I get covered silk buttons or black corozo?

Also debating whether I should put a buttonhole or not so I can wear a boutonniere (which I won't be wearing often but would like the option) it will be a milanese buttonhole if that factors in...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also would like to take a straw poll...for my new shantung faced single breasted shawl in dark navy mohair fresco, should I get covered silk buttons or black corozo?

Also debating whether I should put a buttonhole or not so I can wear a boutonniere (which I won't be wearing often but would like the option) it will be a milanese buttonhole if that factors in...
Here is my opinion (offered for free and worth every penny):

I would recommend buttons covered in the fresco, not the facing. And I think a buttonhole in a shawl collar looks wrong. It damages the sweep of the collar, to my mind.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And once again, for all dressed up, no place to go Formal Friday, featuring my Burma jacket and a little eye candy...
DJI_20200417_180733_137.jpeg

DJI_20200417_180813_752.jpeg

DJI_20200417_181110_150.jpeg

The non-regulation bow tie is a one-off by Le Noeud Papillon. The ruffled shirt was cut by James MacAuslen at Budd.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my opinion (offered for free and worth every penny):

I would recommend buttons covered in the fresco, not the facing. And I think a buttonhole in a shawl collar looks wrong. It damages the sweep of the collar, to my mind.
I like that idea...should I trim the hip pockets with silk or leave them be...I'm leaning towards the latter

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that idea...should I trim the hip pockets with silk or leave them be...I'm leaning towards the latter
That's a tough one. I'd go with your lean, probably. I might trim them in the silk, but I am not sure.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is the fourth formal Friday in a row, now. This is about as straight down the line as I get, with a black Dormeuil Amadeus peak lapel dinner jacket, marcella front shirt, and a cummerbund. The only variation might be to swap out the tie for a diamond-point version, or a larger butterfly, and exchange the cummerbund for a waistcoat (which is what I did for @UrbanComposition's Quarantine Karaoke this morning).

IMG_3533.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

The dinner jacket is by Hemrajani, the shirt by Emma Willis, tie by Le Noeud Papillon, cummerbund by Budd, and vintage linen pocket square by Simonnot-Godard.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is my screen wonky, or is that an ice-blue shirt?
Your screen is wonky. It's white.

It's not really your screen. It might be the iPhone, or it might just be that I'm standing in shadow that makes white shirts (not just this one) look blue.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is the fourth formal Friday in a row, now. This is about as straight down the line as I get, with a black Dormeuil Amadeus peak lapel dinner jacket, marcella front shirt, and a cummerbund. The only variation might be to swap out the tie for a diamond-point version, or a larger butterfly, and exchange the cummerbund for a waistcoat (which is what I did for @UrbanComposition's Quarantine Karaoke this morning).

View attachment 1377249

View attachment 1377250

View attachment 1377251

The dinner jacket is by Hemrajani, the shirt by Emma Willis, tie by Le Noeud Papillon, cummerbund by Budd, and vintage linen pocket square by Simonnot-Godard.
Almost all my bow ties are diamond points...personally I think that shape has the most character

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost all my bow ties are diamond points...personally I think that shape has the most character
I have a few but they always look wrong to me. After a drink or two I forget about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads