• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once black-tie events start opening up again, do you all have any fragrance tips? Any go-to colognes, or notes to hit/avoid?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once black-tie events start opening up again, do you all have any fragrance tips? Any go-to colognes, or notes to hit/avoid?
What's your budget, favourite type of scent...etc? I personally like Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba for 'that' special old world events..bit pricey and hard to fine though...it's a musky tobacco scent

Acqua di Parma Colonia for something standard but one of my all time favourite scents...smells like orange peels

On the cheaper side I quite like Versace dreamer (hard to find - smells like gin tobacco) and L'Occitane Cade (dry wood) and standard L'Occitane (lavender)...

If I'm feeling ballsy....Habanita Molinard...think french cigarettes scented with geranium + dads really old and musky smelling but favourite overcoat + a dominatrixes dungeon with aged leather whips and you start to get an idea. Probably the strongest scent I have with massive projection, most overpowering and lasts the longest...

There are many others but really depends on what scents you like, your appetite for adventure and how much you want to dish out.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent tips and enticing descriptions! Budget is not a huge deal, as I consider fragrances low-cost purchases compared to my suits and shirting! I picked up a couple Celine Haute Parfumerie fragrances recently, Black Tie and Reptile, which I'm finding extraordinary and will check out yours as well.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent tips and enticing descriptions! Budget is not a huge deal, as I consider fragrances low-cost purchases compared to my suits and shirting! I picked up a couple Celine Haute Parfumerie fragrances recently, Black Tie and Reptile, which I'm finding extraordinary and will check out yours as well.
Yeah I have many more frangrances to recommend but the ones above are my personal favourites for black tie

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What constitutes a remake? There's nothing inherently wrong with the jacket.
The lapel shape wasn't what I specified...I thought I could live with something different but if I'm being honest with myself I don't really like it

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More of a Tautz lapel, no? Which has some surviving relatives in France.

Not my first choice, but cream-colored jackets are already a little off-center.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Creed GIT whenever I wear a fragrance (used to be daily occurrence but when work dictates you’re in a hospital and in issued scrubs daily, I don’t wear anything). I wouldn’t wear a different fragrance for black tie versus any other scenario, though that might be a product of the one I chose (can dress it up or down)

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your budget, favourite type of scent...etc? I personally like Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba for 'that' special old world events..bit pricey and hard to fine though...it's a musky tobacco scent

Acqua di Parma Colonia for something standard but one of my all time favourite scents...smells like orange peels

On the cheaper side I quite like Versace dreamer (hard to find - smells like gin tobacco) and L'Occitane Cade (dry wood) and standard L'Occitane (lavender)...

If I'm feeling ballsy....Habanita Molinard...think french cigarettes scented with geranium + dads really old and musky smelling but favourite overcoat + a dominatrixes dungeon with aged leather whips and you start to get an idea. Probably the strongest scent I have with massive projection, most overpowering and lasts the longest...

There are many others but really depends on what scents you like, your appetite for adventure and how much you want to dish out.

My medicine cabinet is dominated by British scents - Trumpers, Floris, and Penhaligon's. For everyday usage, I wear, usually at least once a week, Trumper's Skye, and, in order to work my way through a very old bottle, Wellington. In Floris, I wear Floris Elite in the cooler months, and grander occasions, and Cefiro (not strictly a men's cologne, but there it is) for warmer months, as it's light, but long-lasting. In Penhaligon's, for special occasions, I wear Eau Sans Pareil, or L'Esprit de Roi - for more ordinary times, Hamman Bouquet (a base of fern), or Douro (with a lavender base), or an occasion in the dead of winter, I wear LP No. 9, a scent reminiscent of church incense that I use in tiny amounts, due to its strength.

Outliers in the collection are a very old bottle of Patou pour Homme (very heavy), and a bottle of Bernard Lalande, which hasn't been made in a quarter century at least, which I save for the grandest occasions, as it's a deep scent, and long lasting, and of which I am nursing the last droplets.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Floris, I wear Floris Elite in the cooler months, and grander occasions, and Cefiro (not strictly a men's cologne, but there it is) for warmer months, as it's light, but long-lasting.
I used to wear No.89 until it got difficult to get in the U.S in the '90s and I didn't get over to London much in those days. So I switched to Elite, which I've worn ever since. I have several Penhaligon's fragrances, but almost never wear them. I wear Elite year-round and for all occasions.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Axe. Because women can’t resist it.
1588350598074.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads