• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a Charles Tyrwhitt tuxedo and waistcoat. The waistcoat has self-faced shawl lapels. My understanding is that satin-faced lapels to match the jacket would be more correct, what are your thoughts? (I'm kicking around the idea of asking a tailor to add the satin, how absurd does that sound?)

Thanks.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a Charles Tyrwhitt tuxedo and waistcoat. The waistcoat has self-faced shawl lapels. My understanding is that satin-faced lapels to match the jacket would be more correct, what are your thoughts? (I'm kicking around the idea of asking a tailor to add the satin, how absurd does that sound?)

Thanks.
In my opinion, you're fine with self-faced lapels on the waistcoat. I don't think there's a stricture that the waistcoat must match the satin of the jacket's lapels. If it's any comfort, my own evening waistcoat has self-faced lapels. I wear it with both satin-faced and grosgrain-faced dinner jackets.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that explanation. I was simply referring to the dazzling finger dexterity on display by the lead violinist. I had no appreciation of the other considerations you mention.

How interesting. I was playing with this paragraph and it auto-quoted it. Someone is having fun with UI.

I have tried for a couple of weeks to resist temptation but as you know when one is passionate, the words just have to come out.

I think there are two dimensions of greatness in music performance: technical skills and musicality. It is rare and impressive to find someone able to knock out all 24 Paganini Caprices at an interesting speed without faults (see Perlman), or do La Campanella with the lightness it requires (see John Ogdon). Musicality is I think more widespread, people are naturally talented and the state of musical education is such today that most of the students that make it into professional training (let alone actual professionals) are gifted. Like taste however, it is the more interesting of the two dimensions and a performance that is very musical can be forgiven technical mishaps, because it expands your mind and you walk away somehow enhanced.

I would count as a technically flawed yet musically brilliant performance the recording of Shostakovich doing his own 2nd piano concerto () clearly, age was catching up with him and he could not quite knock out all the notes but he did not let this stop his spirit and the recording is simply the greatest exuberance of raw spirit in my memory, completely uncorked unlike, say, Rachmaninov's recordings of his own works whose complexity and polish subdue the giant Russian heart civilised by years of living happily in the United States. On the other hand, I bought tickets to a very famous Russian violinist I shall not name weeks in advance, queued dutifully for an hour or two, and left halfway through because whilst the playing was technically flawless, the man in question must have left his soul backstage.

Perhaps there is a parallel to CM. Sprezz, taste may be related to musicality, but what is technical brilliance? Is it well executed clothes, a body that lends itself to impressive tailoring, the right impression being made?

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Andy.

In my opinion, you're fine with self-faced lapels on the waistcoat. I don't think there's a stricture that the waistcoat must match the satin of the jacket's lapels. If it's any comfort, my own evening waistcoat has self-faced lapels. I wear it with both satin-faced and grosgrain-faced dinner jackets.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As promised, here was my decision between velvet slippers and opera shoes.

IMG_3485.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naturally, I approve.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see you have also made the right choice of collar this time.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tips for wearing a wing collar shirt so that the wing keeps tucked behind the tie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics