The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mobius5

Mobius5 Member

Well, you've all confirmed what I was suspecting! I guess I was hoping you'd not really see the collar behind the tie as I do like the 'Cresta fine pleat bib' as an alternative to Marcella.

Any alternative suggestions for something similar?

2. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

Buy it, have a tailor snip off the collar and modify the neckband to take a stiff detachable collar.

3. crdb

crdb Senior member

We've had a couple of exchanges already on the subject of the appropriate wing angle. I just came across this wonderful specimen illustrating the glory of only a slight bend. Behold, wearers of soft floppy triangles:

[​IMG]

(from Pinterest but a quick Google reverse image search was not helpful in determining the original author)

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Any thoughts on the rarely seen (though still correct, you snobs) white "black tie" waistcoat? Thinking of giving it a try next go 'round.

IMG_3324_D.jpg

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Go for it. It suits the wing collar.

6. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I wouldnt personally, but really only because it would leave me in the same effective position as not wearing a cummerbund or waistcoat. In other words, with my jacket buttoned I would have a bright white triangle at my waist and it would bother me.

7. palk

palk Well-Known Member

I was in a wedding party where white waistcoat paired with detached wing collar was requested of the groomsmen. With my jacket buttoned, no hint of the waistcoat could be seen, so I did not have the problem @bdavro23 had. I still recommend against it though, simply because I feel the black band of the tie around the collar sticks out in a bad way compared to the tidiness of the rest of the kit.
    white_waistcoat.jpg

8. Caustic Man

I'm not sure I care about the band of the tie being visible. I think you look great. Definitely makes me want to go the white waistcoat route. Where did you get yours?

9. crdb

crdb Senior member

Whether or not it was at one point correct, it will today look halfway between black and white tie. I've never seen anybody pull it off successfully, and this particular waistcoat is straight from white tie which does not help the impression.

If you want to get creative, there's always the boutonniere...

10. Caustic Man

11. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

It's a great look and if you can find a white waistcoat that looks good and fits you, then absolutely wear it. Suffice to say, I would. :bigstar:

12. Butler

Butler Senior member

13. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

An old book I read pointed out that a white waist coat with black tie was sometimes worn by old country families.

The type that when you come across them dressed in rags in town say, "It does not matter nobody knows me here" and when you cross paths again in the country with them wearing the same rags say, "It does not matter everybody knows me here".

Personally I would not try it as I do not like wing collars.