• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

starro

Reaction score
you are picking up on word selection and being offensive. Honestly I found this WRONG and TASTELESS.... and your arguments empty and close-minded. We have spent years researching the product and you can't even image the effort of realising a design concept with multidisciplinary approach. The fact that you might not like it doesn't mean that you have to disrespect the work of creatives. I guess there is a big age gap between us, hence, our different standpoints and approach to open communication. Nothing else to add.

Why so sensitive all of a sudden? If you really had a hot product why be so defensive about it? Is the little baby upset no one calls him a "creative genius" like his mommy?

A tasteless money hungry hack like yourself doesn't get to be the judge of anything. At this point the only skill you're showing us is spamming and trolling. Go pay up for Affiliate Vendor status if you really had confidence in your s**t.

starro

Reaction score
^ And also
crackup[1].gif
at the fact you think "resemble" (which you can't even spell) and "have" mean the same thing. Maybe before calling yourself a master-of-the-Universe creative entrepreneur you should take an ESL course at the local community college?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are picking up on word selection and being offensive. Honestly I found this WRONG and TASTELESS.... and your arguments empty and close-minded. We have spent years researching the product and you can't even image the effort of realising a design concept with multidisciplinary approach. The fact that you might not like it doesn't mean that you have to disrespect the work of creatives. I guess there is a big age gap between us, hence, our different standpoints and approach to open communication. Nothing else to add.

I'm under thirty and I also think your novelty ties are ugly. Don't think it's the age gap.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would a bow-tie made of baloney be acceptable for a black-tie wedding?

Only if the groom were a politician about whose veracity you wished to make silent comment. Or a wedding for which you lacked such confidence in the catering that you needed to be able to eat the tie if insufficiently fed.

palk

Reaction score
There is actually a more elegant and innovative way to break the rules of such flat events... What do you think?.

I think that stylistically, your ties miss the mark of the black tie dress code. The goal is to have every piece of your outfit compliment the others, together achieving something greater than the sum of the parts. Your ties would stick out far more than sore thumbs, rendering the rest of the outfit as nothing more than a frame around the tie. In general, the only thing worse than your clothes speaking louder than you do is when the message they deliver is counter to yours. Not only would your ties be a mockery of black tie in general, but anyone who donnes them after being conned by your salespitch will be assumed ignorant by anyone that can appropriately dress. So, I will reiterate the advice of other posters and recommend that you market them to the younger crowd before they have been educated to see the reason and wisdom behind the dress codes. Perhaps they'll take it up and create a hip / trendy "resemblance" of black tie, which I personally would support as at least a step in the right direction. But, I think you'll have trouble hawking your products here as this isn't a place to complain about black tie dress code but rather to celebrate it.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only if the groom were a politician about whose veracity you wished to make silent comment. Or a wedding for which you lacked such confidence in the catering that you needed to be able to eat the tie if insufficiently fed.

One takes the risk of pigeons, or dog ring-bearers, being present of course.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically enough, Google search of "ceramic necktie" produces not only the OP's website, but a competing one as well. Who knew?

However, it would seem that neither business will prosper if the reaction of the general public is anything like that of the readers of this thread.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on subject...

Now and Forever was shot in 1934, but I find Gary Cooper's fit quite modern:

(although, as mentioned previously, not a fan of the collar.)

I think it is the combination of high-ish lapel roll, a short-ish jacket, high armholes, and very wide lapels (almost wider than long) compensating for the somewhat lower gorge (coupled with almost flat peaks pointing slightly below the shoulder end). I would not mind wearing this despite being neither tall enough nor in shape enough to pull it off.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As it stands you have crashed the classical music meetup with the latest drum and bass album (is that what is "cool" nowadays?) and you are wondering why nobody wants to listen to it instead of all this boring conformist toilet music.

A week ago I had the great pleasure of attending a performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons in the church in Venice where Vivaldi was choirmaster some 300 years ago. If ever an event cried out for black tie, this was it. Alas, all I could muster was a suit and tie and my evening scarf.

The performance was by an ensemble called Virtuosi Italiani and the lead violin was Carlo Menozzi. I had never appreciated before just how difficult Vivaldi's music must be to play. If you find yourself in Venice, I can highly recommend these concerts as a wonderful way to spend an evening.

palk

Reaction score
A week ago I had the great pleasure of attending a performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons in the church in Venice where Vivaldi was choirmaster some 300 years ago. If ever an event cried out for black tie, this was it. Alas, all I could muster was a suit and tie and my evening scarf.

The performance was by an ensemble called Virtuosi Italiani and the lead violin was Carlo Menozzi. I had never appreciated before just how difficult Vivaldi's music must be to play. If you find yourself in Venice, I can highly recommend these concerts as a wonderful way to spend an evening.

I saw Interpreti Veneziani play some of Vivaldi's works in the Chiesa di San Vidal a couple years ago during Carnivale, and I too highly recommend concerts like it if you're fortunate enough to find yourself in Venice for the evening.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The trouble with much Baroque and early Classical repertoire is how familiar audiences are with common practice harmony, which means it is extremely obvious when you screw up. If you are unfortunate enough to be doing the continuo, you also have to contend with more expert ears that will detect non-Bach-like chord progressions (fortunately modern string instruments are so much more powerful than harpsichords that they cover you up to an extent, especially in a boomy church acoustic). For this reason, it is harder to play Mozart at auditions than Strauss or a contemporary composer. Vivaldi is probably the most extreme example because on top of a style that really adheres to the rules, everybody has heard his works a thousand times on the radio.

In this way music from that period can be compared to black tie, with both obvious and non-obvious rules and good ideas. There is considerably more liberty with late Classical and later repertoire as well as some more adventurous composers like Biber. There, as with "smart casual", you can ascribe errors to artistic creativity.

Personally, having performed in a few Venetian churches, I prefer more Northern countries for the simple reason that they are cooler. The Venetian summer is a killer for tuning and just trying not to drench your concert outfit...

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw Interpreti Veneziani play some of Vivaldi's works in the Chiesa di San Vidal a couple years ago during Carnivale, and I too highly recommend concerts like it if you're fortunate enough to find yourself in Venice for the evening.

I saw a concert in the Chiesa di San Vidal as well, and one in the Scuola di San Rocco, some six years ago, both with a Baroque repertoire, though the groups performing I do not remember offhand. Happily, meteorologically, I attended these concerts just prior to Carnevale, so being overheated was not a problem.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not really the time and place but I felt the need after your anecdote to click through to your Instagram and see Italy, and those are smashing outfits.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trouble with much Baroque and early Classical repertoire is how familiar audiences are with common practice harmony, which means it is extremely obvious when you screw up. If you are unfortunate enough to be doing the continuo, you also have to contend with more expert ears that will detect non-Bach-like chord progressions (fortunately modern string instruments are so much more powerful than harpsichords that they cover you up to an extent, especially in a boomy church acoustic). For this reason, it is harder to play Mozart at auditions than Strauss or a contemporary composer. Vivaldi is probably the most extreme example because on top of a style that really adheres to the rules, everybody has heard his works a thousand times on the radio.

In this way music from that period can be compared to black tie, with both obvious and non-obvious rules and good ideas. There is considerably more liberty with late Classical and later repertoire as well as some more adventurous composers like Biber. There, as with "smart casual", you can ascribe errors to artistic creativity.

Personally, having performed in a few Venetian churches, I prefer more Northern countries for the simple reason that they are cooler. The Venetian summer is a killer for tuning and just trying not to drench your concert outfit...

Agreed about cluttering up this thread, but this is an interesting diversion nonetheless. Happily, the Chiesa della Pietà was neither boomy (to my ears, anyway) nor hot. This was early April and both the evening and the interior of the church were quite chilly. I was glad to be dressed relatively warmly. Later in the evening, though, while listening to some more contemporary music in Piazza San Marco, I was rather cold.

Thank you for that explanation. I was simply referring to the dazzling finger dexterity on display by the lead violinist. I had no appreciation of the other considerations you mention.

This is not really the time and place but I felt the need after your anecdote to click through to your Instagram and see Italy, and those are smashing outfits.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads