• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sous VIde Thread

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cooked John Dory sous vide and the flavor was unbelievable. Though, I probably prefer cooking fish in a more traditional manner, the flavor and texture you get from cooking this way is just not possible otherwise; it keeps the taste of the fish very pure. I imagine some fish work better than others, but I thought this turned out great and figured I'd share the results.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8rXMpl.jpg

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a circulator and simple chamber vac and am starting off on sous vide. I've done oxtail - fantastic and have just started some beef short ribs. Love it so far. The ability to plan ahead and segregate the work is a really cool thing, IMO. Can't wait to do scrambled eggs this weekend as well as custard.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up a circulator and simple chamber vac and am starting off on sous vide. I've done oxtail - fantastic and have just started some beef short ribs. Love it so far. The ability to plan ahead and segregate the work is a really cool thing, IMO. Can't wait to do scrambled eggs this weekend as well as custard.

Just curious which model did you get? The Sous Vide Supreme, the Polyscience or something else?

markdudley

Reaction score
Ideally I'd get one, but vacuum sealers can be pretty pricey so I was hoping I could get by without one.

I'm in the same boat you seem to be in: price is very much an object. A lot of the advice I have taken has come from Nathan Myhrvold, once CTO of Microsoft, now avid sous vide chef. What I have found, though, is that in most all cases I produce good results with a bags sealed by submerging them in my full kitchen sink and a sous vide machine made of a crock pot, a temperature controller, and a submersible water pump. I have friends with more expensive sous vide apparati, but it is hard at least for me to tell the difference. Sure, there's is somewhat more carefree, but also much, much more expensive.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on charring. I have tried the torch, but found the flavor to be underwhelming. I have recently been setting meat virtually on top of hot coals, but this seems a little unceremonious after a very long sous vide session.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in his new modernist at home book, coming in october, myhrvold details the crockpot/pid fix. for many things (chicken parts, steaks, fish), you can also do a completely acceptable job using a thermal ice chest ... most of those things will be cooked in less than 2 hours, and the ice chest can hold that temperature pretty well with only moderate tending.
whether you SHOULD or not is another question. i've got a PolyScience sous-vide set up that i've been playing with and while it's kinda cool, i find it less than compelling.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's lots of home brew sous vide how to's on youtube as well.

We'll see how I feel in a year, but I'm loving it right now. Made a really basic custard this weekend and then froze it. One of the best I've ever had. I'll probably make several more batches this weekend.

I think it fits my cooking style pretty well. To be able toprep so much in advance and have it stay fresh makes preparing big/special meals so much easier.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
anybody have success with the make.com schematics?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've offered it before and will again. I have a PID machine that's near mint that I'll let anyone borrow if they want to try out SV cooking. I haven't really thought in depth about trust or insurance issues but I guess we'll do a minimum post count or have a few members vouch for you. You just have to pay shipping both ways and I'll set some sort of time limit on it, I suppose. I have an IC so I never use the PID.

coop86

Reaction score
I bought the larger stainless size promo pack about 6 months ago. The Demi will work fine unless you are trying to cook massive amounts of food all at once. The air sealer is not fantastic but does the job, especially considering how much an industrial one costs.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I will just post here about sous vide. I noticed when making steak in my Anova when I take it out of the water bath/plastic it stinks until I sear it. Is this normal? I know the meat is fresh from the butcher I go to, but it has this really concentrated smell coming out of 135 degree water that turns pleasant when seared. Just want to be sure I am not killing myself.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharpro78