The Sous VIde Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ehkay, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

[​IMG]

10 minutes/85 with about a teaspoon of Riesling Auslese vinegar, some sugar, and a squirt of saltwater.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Dat tweezer.

Looks good. I should stop visiting the SV thread or I'll get too jealous.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

LOL. It's good for pulling bags out of the water bath.

I think there are some cheap(er) Euro immersion circulators.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

That's what your hand is for, pussy.

Yeah, I'll have to think about it. But still, I'd need a vacuum thingy, too, so I'm most likely looking at least at 400-500€. If I'm in a really great mood and get my FullTiltPoker cash back, I might get one...

5. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

There must be something like craigslist by you? That knocked the price of my sealer down a bunch. I got it barely used from some deli that was going out of business. I'd buy a new circulator, however.

6. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

[​IMG]

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Other than ebay we don't really have much. And still, used chamber seelers cost 700€+ over there...

8. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Do you really need a vacuum sealer for sous vide? I've seen videos on the net where someone just shoves the ingredients into a ziplock plastic bag, squeeze as much air out of it by hand, zip it up and throw it into the water bath.

Anyone have any experience with the equipment sold on this website: Fresh Meal Solutions?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sous vide = under vacuum. Call me when someone created a vacuum by simple squeezing.

It technically works, i.e. cooking in a water bath. But if you get an Immersion Circulator, get a vacuum sealer, too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  10. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

Ideally I'd get one, but vacuum sealers can be pretty pricey so I was hoping I could get by without one. I'm just thinking about playing around with it at this point.

Anyone know what's the drawback of a DIY vacuum (via squeezing) to Sous Vide? Okay, stupid question alert, but what's the purpose of a vacuum in sous vide? Does it somehow aid in cooking the ingredients properly?

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yes it certainly helps to cook properly. Vacuum = no air, no place for liquids to leak out. Also, not having a vacuum and doing long SV sessions might not be the best idea health wise. In fact, it's quite dangerous.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. KJT

KJT Senior member

If you submerge a ziplock under water with the top open, it will evacuate pretty much all of the air. Much closer to vacuum sealed than just squeezing it.

13. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

My tap water happens to come out at about 130, so I fill up my dutch oven and cook my steaks sous vide and finish them in a skillet. Works very well.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Ziplock is fine. The vacuum is not definitional to the technique, it is just part of the name. IMO, a bit more air is safer when it comes to anaerobic bacteria, and less safe when it comes to spoilage. Probably a wash overall.

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i've done ghetto sous-vide this way and while i wouldn't recommend it for any of those 48-hour dishes, i've had good luck with fruits and veg by sealing them tightly in a double zip-lock along with some flavoring, then poaching them at a constant temp (sorry don't remember what it was). it's actually pretty easy to maintain a fairly steady low temp stove top for a relatively short time (30-45 min) by using a flame-tamer