• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Sous VIde Thread

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it was seemingly suggested yesterday, and since it would be nice if a lot of the questions were consolidated, I figured we should just have a nice thread to discuss this 40-odd year old fad.

I don't really have any questions or comments at the moment, so instead I'll just link this sweet video from Joan "living sous-vida" Roca.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

EDIT: If someone could edit the capitalization in the title, that would be good.

Last edited:

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll start - what are your favorite things to make SV? Also, post pictures of your setup.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want RAZR pics of my setup? Tomorrow when there's light. LOL.
I have a Vacmaster VP215, and a Julabo circulator. I think an older version of this one.

Anyway, favorites I'll breakdown a bit.

Meat: Veal Breast (62/18 hours or 72/8 hours, depending on the texture I feel like having.) Lately I haven't really done much short-time, cook to warm through cooking for meat, other than things like chicken breasts and pork chops during the week.
Vegetables: Baby Turnips bagged with smoked turkey wing; fennel; potatoes
Compressed: Strawberries (esp. with ginger syrup)

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vegetables are my favorite thing to cook sous vide. Turnips and fennel are great, and I am a big fan of sous vide artichokes. :devil:

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and pears are awesome.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, and pears are awesome.

You ever had a fresh grape? Huh? I've had fresh *apples*. Never had a fresh *grape*. Never had a fresh *cherry*. Never had a fresh *pear*. Never *seen* a pear. Never saw a pear outside of a fruit stand.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GOD DAMMIT EDINATLANTA FUCKING FIALS AGAIN

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to do some pickled apples today. Should've gotten pears also.
Please try the red beet pickles "recipe" I've posted. If you have rose water (and raspberry vinegar helps, too).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Please try the red beet pickles "recipe" I've posted. If you have rose water (and raspberry vinegar helps, too).

WHere is? I have all of these things.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WHere is? I have all of these things.
It's just a "recipe".
Slice red beets, IIRC raw ones. Vacuum with rose water and raspberry vinegar for ten, yeah just ten, minutes. Enjoy. You've got to figure out the ratios, but I can tell you that it's really nice.
Other "recipes" are: slightly cooked carrots with ginger honey; cucumber with dill. All vacuumed, all ten minutes. I prefer the beets though.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's just a "recipe".
Slice red beets, IIRC raw ones. Vacuum with rose water and raspberry vinegar for ten, yeah just ten, minutes. Enjoy. You've got to figure out the ratios, but I can tell you that it's really nice.
Other "recipes" are: slightly cooked carrots with ginger honey; cucumber with dill. All vacuumed, all ten minutes. I prefer the beets though.

I don't have rosewater or raspberry vinegar. Was probably going to quick pickle some carrots today in a similar fashion though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.