• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sous VIde Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
highly doubt it, especially in the long term. I'm sure your doctor agrees.

I'm hoping the "nightly big steak and side of veg" wipes out a lot of hick towns and future Sarah Palins.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually I just had blood work done. He said my HDL's are extremely high, and I have very low LDL. No high blood pressure. Clean bill of health. I fail to see the issue with meat and vegetables. I eat artificial sugar probably 4 times a year. I rarely eat starch. Seems to work pretty well for me.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
of course you just had blood work done, you're constantly at the doctors for your digestive issues or your possible cancer and ebola

I can see an argument for veg + fish + some meat ... but not a steak and sausage diet.

Last edited:

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is a vacuum sealer completely worth it? I'm a bit of a science nerd so here is my take (I could be completely wrong). Tell me your thoughts, the snarkier, the better.

My opinion is that any vacuum created in the bag is counteracted by the atmospheric pressure outside the bag pushing in. In fact, put a marshmallow inside a vacuum bag and you'll have a compressed marshmallow, not a gigantic one. Again, I could be completely wrong.

I've been doing sous vide with a regular ziplock bag for about 2 months now. All have been pretty good.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had my butcher vacuum seal my steaks and I have used those in it. I have also done the water displacement method with a BPA free ziplock freezer bag with the same results. You essentially just want to get the air out so it doesn't float. Also, the plastic right on the food will warm it faster and more evenly than plastic - air bubble - food.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If you have your butcher vacuum seal your steaks does he pre-season them too?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They will if I ask them. I actually prefer the flavor natural. I find that cooking sous vide holds in so much more juice and flavor that a good piece of beef doesn't need much else.

Have you experience the weird smell post sous vide pre sear?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can't say as I have.

As regards seasoning, I lighten it for SV, but I don't eliminate it.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like getting a nice sear on my steak to seal in the juices.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will if I ask them. I actually prefer the flavor natural. I find that cooking sous vide holds in so much more juice and flavor that a good piece of beef doesn't need much else.

Have you experience the weird smell post sous vide pre sear?
I have never noticed a smell at all like the one you mention.

I usually cook with some kind of vinegar based marinade though, so that is the predominant smell when the bag is opened.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads