• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I couldn't disagree more with this assessment. DBs are almost always more formal than SBs.

Perhaps this is covered by your "almost" qualification, but aren't DB dinner jackets considered less formal than SB?

--Andre

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the sportcoats.

p1010428pn0.jpg

p1010434bw0.jpg

cimg1442wk1.jpg

cimg1449fc2.jpg

cimg1448ye3.jpg

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice and very iammattish, but it seems like the shoulder on your jackets is slightly different. Is that right?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
Perhaps this is covered by your "almost" qualification, but aren't DB dinner jackets considered less formal than SB?

--Andre

Conventional historical wisdom would assert tht SB is always more formal than DB...because a proper SB had always included a vest. The vestless DB was the informal alternative to that form of...let's trot it out the phrase (groan)...lounge suit. This distinction persists most reliably in semi-formal wear, as you note. If you wear a vest with your SB dinner jacket, you will look and be more formal than a dude wearing a DB dinner jacket.

What informalized the SB lounge suit more than DB was the abandonment of the vest. Americans had a lot to do with this, and part the reason is practical since so much of the country is subject to tropical temperatures...as is true in the Northeast today as I type. Americans abandoned the vest quite gleefully.

So, the way I see it:

Most formal: SB three piece (and the rarer DB three piece)
Less formal: DB without vest
Less formal still: SB without vest.

- B

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really dig the cloth on both of those jackets. Beautiful lapel roll, too. I agree that the shoulders on your jackets seem slightly more structured that Matt's - perhaps this has something to do with differing body types?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Don't know about the differences in the guts (if any), but whnay's shoulders have more conventional open seams, whereas Matt's are nearly all shirtsleeves (or for you FNB trolls who giggle at the phrase ... SPALLA CAMICIA!).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Brunello C

BC's stuff is reliably nice.

I like the roped shoulders on you...I wouldn't change that. The way that your shoulders drop looks better with the roping than it would without.

- B

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Don't know about the differences in the guts (if any), but whnay's shoulders have more conventional open seams, whereas Matt's are nearly all shirtsleeves (or for you FNB trolls who giggle at the phrase ... SPALLA CAMICIA!).

For some reason I thought the shirt sleeve was Rubinacci's house style. Most likely, I am mistaken.

Btw, Bill, the capped sleeve looks very nice.

Aries

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Very nice and very iammattish,

+1, very similar to Iammatt's.

Whnay, love the DB as well as the second (olive) coat, which seems damn near perfect to me. The top of the sleeves on the sportcoats appear a little slimmer than on the DB, not sure if there's an actual difference or just the pictures.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
For some reason I thought the shirt sleeve was Rubinacci's house style. Most likely, I am mistaken.

It's an option. Mariano told me that he only prefers to do it on odd jackets or on informal suits, but he will do it on request on any suit. If you don't specify, you won't get it. He said that for certain customers who pick a certain informal cloth, he might raise it as a possibility. But if you go in there and order a dark gray worsted and don't specify, you will get a more typical open seam shoulder.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an option. Mariano told me that he only prefers to do it on odd jackets or on informal suits, but he will do it on request on any suit. If you don't specify, you won't get it. He said that for certain customers who pick a certain informal cloth, he might raise it as a possibility. But if you go in there and order a dark gray worsted and don't specify, you will get a more typical open seam shoulder.

That makes sense. I noticed Matt's dinner jacket is the more typical open seam.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We discussed this at my first appointment with him and he persuaded me to do the open seam shoulder. My next order is going to include a fresco which I will request specifically "shirt sleeves", just to see what it looks like on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads