• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Iammatt's Rubinacci photography is so dominating as Rubinacci samples on the interwebs that one might fall prey to thinking that is how Rubinacci looks. But, it just might be a look peculiar to him.
- B

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The softer the jacket, the more dependent it is on the shape of the body underneath. Matt (iam)'s look good becuse the cut and construction is a good match for him. I'd posit it's not for everyone.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Agree on the winching - I don't think I'm in for a Mafoo amount of winching but a little more is definitely in order.

I swear to God, the jacket's not that tight! I could gain 10-15 pounds and still fit into it. Part of the problem with these photos is that you can only guess at the shape of a wearer's body.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's objectively wrong for your jacket to have less apparent waist suppression. First of all, we have no idea how narrow your actual waist is. Second, your jacket is far from sack-like (in the perjorative sense). I did not specifically envision the front-on chest-to-waist ratio that you see in my photo when I decided to order from Rubinacci; I wanted something that would fit well and appear dynamic from every angle. While we can only see your front side, your jacket still swells nicely around and under your chest. It's just unfortunate that your photo flattens what is best appreciated in all three dimensions.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I swear to God, the jacket's not that tight! I could gain 10-15 pounds and still fit into it. Part of the problem with these photos is that you can only guess at the shape of a wearer's body.
It's a pity that it's difficult to post video clips of the different bespeakers moving/walking around. Photographs are so static and can - depending on the wearer - create a less than flattering impression, even if clothing is well cut... (e.g., I'm not very photogenic, and my wife always swears that I look better in the my clothes in the flesh
confused.gif
). I suspect part of the "impressions" that other members have of your coat (or, of the others) may be chalked up to the limitations of photography... What is that they say? the camera adds 20lbs?
Originally Posted by mafoofan
For what it's worth, I don't think it's objectively wrong for your jacket to have less apparent waist suppression. First of all, we have no idea how narrow your actual waist is. Second, your jacket is far from sack-like (in the perjorative sense). I did not specifically envision the front-on chest-to-waist ratio that you see in my photo when I decided to order from Rubinacci; I wanted something that would fit well and appear dynamic from every angle. While we can only see your front side, your jacket still swells nicely around and under your chest. It's just unfortunate that your photo flattens what is best appreciated in all three dimensions.
+1 FWIW I think the cuts of the different coats suit the wearers' build and sense of style (no pun intended
smile.gif
)... I do prefer certain cuts more than others, but only because my body is shaped more or less like some of the bespeakers shown here. The degree of waist suppression can also be a very personal choice... What seems "lean" to one observer/bespeaker may seem overly "curvy/feminized" to another... Also, again you're speaking to the limitations of 2D photography...

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Nice analysis. I think, as you and others have said before, you get what you pay for: Rubinacci.

You got what you asked for.

Bespoke clothing are like music; the clients are the composers and the master tailors are the conductors orchestrating a symphony of cutters and tailors. Unfortunately the music can only be as good as the scores written and even the best conductors/orchestras can only make a bad piece of music sounds mediocre.

I see a great conductor/orchestra here but unfortunately some musics are not of my taste.

HappymaN

Reaction score
Great suits in this thread.

whnay, how tall are you? Just curious.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Cardshark,

This photo has guaranteed that I will some day order a DB:
td1002vg7.jpg

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Same here. Maybe even two...
inlove.gif

MtB

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HappymaN
Great suits in this thread.

whnay, how tall are you? Just curious.

5' 8"

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
Personally I would also do flaps on your waist pockets along with the other stylistic cues (trouser cuffs, amount of shirt cuffs showing).

Also have to say that your stooped slightly forward posture (compared to the others') illustrates Rubinacci's fitting abilities for me.

Thanks,

- M

Originally Posted by iammatt
Can you explain these two comments? I understand the first half of the first one, but not the second half. The second one I don't really get at all.

From fabric weight balance perspective, flaps on the pocket would balance the weight of the peaked lapels.

From design perspective, the cuffs (trousers and shirt sleeves) and waist pocket flaps provide for more horizontal connectivity as the eyes look around.

From a formality perspective, double breast peaked lapels design is less formal to me than single breasted one, and so flaps rather than double besoms jive better.

I think it's more difficult to make a pattern for stooped or erect posture than a neutral one - to allow for the jacket's collar to sit properly (instead of being pulled up and backward for stooped, or up and frontward for erect).

From the photos (and others he's posted) I'm thinking that Bill has slightly stooped posture (most seemingly from the back shot, and suggested by the slight pectus excavatum on his jacket compared to the other Rubinaccis).

Overall I see Mr. Rubinacci passing his perfection of styling onto the various body types and personas - distinctively Neapolitan and Rubinacci.

- M

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I personally like DBs with besom pockets. I like them either way, actually. For a really formal midnight blue or oxford gray, I will get besom every time. Also, if the pattern is really busy and/or loud, I prefer besom.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From a formality perspective, double breast peaked lapels design is less formal to me than single breasted one, and so flaps rather than double besoms jive better.
I couldn't disagree more with this assessment. DBs are almost always more formal than SBs.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From fabric weight balance perspective, flaps on the pocket would balance the weight of the peaked lapels.

From design perspective, the cuffs (trousers and shirt sleeves) and waist pocket flaps provide for more horizontal connectivity as the eyes look around.

I think it's more difficult to make a pattern for stooped or erect posture than a neutral one - to allow for the jacket's collar to sit properly (instead of being pulled up and back for stooped, or up and frontward for erect).

- M

I strongly disagree with every point you make.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics