• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the material actually, it’s heavy though I think they quote 30oz?

slows2k

Reaction score
I’m not sure about the material actually, it’s heavy though I think they quote 30oz?

Ah, I thought it might be from the second run they did with PS. The first year was camel and the second was this large herringbone donegal, which matched up with the Balmacaan from that year.

Either way it looks great, even causally like that.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yea it’s the 2nd version, just check the PVW Balmacaan version, weight is a bit lighter on PVW one vs the Anthology one.

By the way the herringbone is not strictly black/white the “black” is very dark brown

Edit: I also tried on someone else’s MTO navy version when I pick up my 4x1 DB sport coat. if someone needs a more formal version the dark navy is definitely the one to go, don’t know how much they upcharge for MTO though (I would have gotten the navy had I not already over loaded in navy in general)

Last edited:

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Can you post a pic wearing a pair of shoes/boots you see yourself wearing with it?

Since we're partly talking about proportions I'd wanna see what it looks like as you'd be wearing it, and that little bit of extra height matters.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Posting this q both here and in the cloth thread b/c the two have some non-overlapping participants:

Looking for heavy, very wide herringbones.

I know Marling & Evans makes some lovely 720g spongy herringbones, and I'm not against going in that direction – but really I'm looking for something wider.

Even this wouldn't be too wide:

View attachment 2147023

Any recommendations?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a leather fan, but this looks good.

Screenshot (1338).png
Screenshot (1339).png

Gttrf822

Reaction score
Got ma coat. Experimenting with pressing the lapel line lower to the bottom button. Any tips are appreciated
20240309-113432.jpg
If you want a coat like this, why even bother having it "made bespoke"? I'm sure you can get a better result from ordering MTO a few sizes too large from SuitSupply or Spier, and at least you'll have some level of craft in the tailoring and relatively right proportions. From what you described and seeing your other "bespoke garments", it looks like your "tailor" is far from a real tailor and what you got might be something glued together, and even if you only paid something like $400 for the labor it is a ripoff.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a coat like this, why even bother having it "made bespoke"? I'm sure you can get a better result from ordering MTO a few sizes too large from SuitSupply or Spier, and at least you'll have some level of craft in the tailoring and relatively right proportions. From what you described and seeing your other "bespoke garments", it looks like your "tailor" is far from a real tailor and what you got might be something glued together, and even if you only paid something like $400 for the labor it is a ripoff.
Good point, and I considered it.

I gave him my Ralph coat to copy. I figured that would have the best chance to replicate the same design and silhouette that I already like.

I can attest to none of this being glued together, but it is likely machine stitched.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might like this guy by the way (pricing and stock aside)

I’m guess this is real life picture, probably too short for your taste might be the only downside

Edit have you look into wrap coat in general it would definitely flow and drape

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics