• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you can swing it, go bespoke. It’s a coat you’ll have forever & hopefully pass along to your children. Why not splurge a little bit?

Although I think RTW overcoats work fairly well for my frame, there might be a possibility that I use Divij for either a polo coat or a Tailor Caid-inspired tweed top coat at some point down the line. But that would primarily be for the fact that it would allow me to nail all the stylistic details I want and pick my own cloth.

Most mainstream bespoke options are out of my price range and that would be compounded by the fact that I probably would only wear the overcoat a dozen or so times a year...

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I think RTW overcoats work fairly well for my frame, there might be a possibility that I use Divij for either a polo coat or a Tailor Caid-inspired tweed top coat at some point down the line. But that would primarily be for the fact that it would allow me to nail all the stylistic details I want and pick my own cloth.

Most mainstream bespoke options are out of my price range and that would be compounded by the fact that I probably would only wear the overcoat a dozen or so times a year...
I’d go with Caid if you want an ivy polo coat. The problem is, with Caid, the armoury uplift is rough. Maybe a trip to Japan is in your future? I’d imagine the uplift is almost 1-2k which isn’t quite a trip to Japan but it’s close.

Plus, they might be able to turn around 1-2 fittings during your visit or make adjustments. And, imo, it’s an awesome experience to visit the tailor at his Sartoria

I’m thinking about a polo, between either Milan or Florence. I’m not sure yet

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Step 1: Go to Tokyo,
Step 2: See Caid,
Step 3: See some of the other tailors/shoemakers,
Step 4: Profit.
If you place a big enough order & visit shoemakers too, then it’s like you’re getting paid to visit Japan. #sartorialmath

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage repro navy Ulster in 800gsm melton. It is on sale.

IMG_1598.jpeg

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an amazing coat. Full belted double breasted coats aren't common, and the pockets look different too. Nice big collar that you can flip up.

Chest measurements sound nice and full.
I agree. Unfortunately, it's too warm for my geography. My wallet is very happy. 😆

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Unfortunately, it's too warm for my geography. My wallet is very happy. 😆
Unfortunately, it's perfect for my location.

Fortunately, I've already bought 2 massive coats this year, so there's no justification I can come up with this one except for "I want it."

Also, more coats mean I can appreciate and enjoy each individual coat less.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice coat. Looks like my "Melton Monster" but not as full or heavy.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an amazing coat. Full belted double breasted coats aren't common, and the pockets look different too. Nice big collar that you can flip up.

Chest measurements sound nice and full.
The shape reminds me of Noel Cowards coat in the famous picture, though his was camel.
Noel-Coward-Ulster-Coat-in-Camel.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Your coat must be a monster. When was the last time you wore it?

I'm not snapping this up because it's too warm for the Bay Area.

Yes it is too warm. I bought it in Chicago where I lived in the early 80s.
In those days I wore a suit,more or less, every day for work and stood
on an open platform for my train to work. after which I walked several
blocks. I alternated it with a British Warm ( 32oz) from Chipp) and a
a lighter Loden-like Balmacaan from Burberry. The last time I wore the
"monster" was 1988. I actually miss real winter, except the driving.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads