• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was trying to find some fit picot wasn’t sure if it’s the same model, is NMWA basically the same one?

WhereNext

Reaction score
Cross post from the bespoke thread:
New overcoat + mirror that desperately needs to be wiped down after upstairs construction. 640 gram wool-cashmere (85-15) cloth of unknown mill. “Not for everyone” lining that I am thrilled with. Cuffs modeled on a robe my Great Uncle owned and left behind when he passed away (sometimes there are other reasons for going bespoke). I’d lower and/or extend the suppression point a bit, but very happy with this first overcoat with this tailor.
IMG_1748.jpeg

IMG_1750.jpeg

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Posting this q both here and in the cloth thread b/c the two have some non-overlapping participants:

Looking for heavy, very wide herringbones.

I know Marling & Evans makes some lovely 720g spongy herringbones, and I'm not against going in that direction – but really I'm looking for something wider.

Even this wouldn't be too wide:

View attachment 2147023

Any recommendations?
Bumping this question.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the bespoke thread:
New overcoat + mirror that desperately needs to be wiped down after upstairs construction. 640 gram wool-cashmere (85-15) cloth of unknown mill. “Not for everyone” lining that I am thrilled with. Cuffs modeled on a robe my Great Uncle owned and left behind when he passed away (sometimes there are other reasons for going bespoke). I’d lower and/or extend the suppression point a bit, but very happy with this first overcoat with this tailor.
View attachment 2148139
View attachment 2148141
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it looks too small from the photo to acommodate
a jacket or a thick wool sweater, the gorgeous lining not withstanding.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Sorry to rain on your parade, but it looks too small from the photo to acommodate
a jacket or a thick wool sweater, the gorgeous lining not withstanding.
Hmmm, that’s interesting. It’s cut specifically to wear over a jacket (I’m wearing one in the picture) and it is extremely comfortable to wear when doing so. I wouldn’t actually wear this jacket unless it was over a sportcoat or suit. Perhaps it is my poor picture taking, a difference of opinion on what is too trim to be comfortable, or that I’m surprisingly oddly shaped.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Hmmm, that’s interesting. It’s cut specifically to wear over a jacket (I’m wearing one in the picture) and it is extremely comfortable to wear when doing so. I wouldn’t actually wear this jacket unless it was over a sportcoat or suit. Perhaps it is my poor picture taking, a difference of opinion on what is too trim to be comfortable, or that I’m surprisingly oddly shaped.
I'm with you. Coat looks great, beautiful cut, and the special cuff treatment makes it a standout. Doesn't appear too small in the least, especially since you've revealed you're wearing a jacket underneath. A lot of thought, and probably cash, went into the making of that coat. So when it's time to show it off, like now, maybe a little prep work, like a Windex spritz and a software tweak so you're not listing to the right.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then I'm wrong. When I wore overcoats ( I now live in CA) they were usually fuller.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried on this J.Press polo coat when I was in the city the other day. It was lighter than expected, and didn’t necessarily have a slouchy feel…but the fit was decent and I was closer than some of the others I’ve seen with regards to style details I want. Unfortunately, they don’t go on sale at the end of the season…

IMG_8039.jpeg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like it but a bit too "sleek" for ulster for me
It’s too tight, I think.

Tried on this J.Press polo coat when I was in the city the other day. It was lighter than expected, and didn’t necessarily have a slouchy feel…but the fit was decent and I was closer than some of the others I’ve seen with regards to style details I want. Unfortunately, they don’t go on sale at the end of the season…

View attachment 2149993
IMO, if you can swing it, go bespoke. It’s a coat you’ll have forever & hopefully pass along to your children. Why not splurge a little bit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads