• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not at all. It's similar to SG's chambray, but looser woven.

If we could get them to source a lighter blue, I'd be up for going in on a special run. Don't know if they can do that, however, since they're just a merchant and not a mill.

Their website says they'll order custom runs, but I bet the minimums are high.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My chambray is on its way back to Torsten. It is indeed part polyester--says SG itself. Stay the **** away from Simonnot-Godard.

Shirtmaven vindicated again.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Torsten is SG's distributor in Denmark. He runs the blog The Journal of Style and the web shop Grunwald. He's like the Danish version of Will of ASW.

I bought the chambray from him. A couple of days ago he got on the phone with me to tell me SG told him the cloth I have is part polyester. In fact, all of their chambray, regardless of type, is part polyster. They even added that it has had polyester in it for the past 30 years, including what is sent to places like Rubinacci.

I'm going to use Alumo end-on-end. The high-end men's clothing industry is full of hucksters. Sadly, Simonnot Godard is one of them.

Last edited:

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Torsten is SG's distributor in Denmark. He runs the blog The Journal of Style and the web shop Grunwald. He's like the Danish version of Will of ASW.

I bought the chambray from him. A couple of days ago he got on the phone with me to tell me SG told him the cloth I have is part polyester. In fact, all of their chambray, regardless of type, is part polyster. They even added that it has had polyester in it for the past 30 years, including what is sent to places like Rubinacci.

I'm going to use Alumo end-on-end. The high-end men's clothing industry is full of hucksters. Sadly, Simonnot Godard is one of them.
The end on end will look great on more formal shirt, cannot see it as great button dows, even the 80/2 looks too fine.

Does the Chambray need to be SG or nothing, my bug with it it was that was a shirting worth less the 6 euro per meter but they were selling it at Riva prices. You would love the Bonfanti version but is still on the high price side, Albini is great as well and there is a merchant that is having Albini rolls washed the same way that denim is, and amongst the various colour I have seen one that is close to the SG version. Also, at a slightly higher weight, you can get 100% cotton chambray at 6 euro per meter...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
does this mean I have to burn mine?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
BTW, I agree, no BDs in end on end.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're rushing to judgment here, foo. I'd urge you to go the mass spec route:

massspectrometer.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
button down in end on end is seriously old school 1960's look.

everything from Phillips boyne comes from asia
older 44/45" will be from Japan. the basic broadcloth is ok.

59/60" fabrics are out of China.

the minimums for specific fabric is at least 1000 yards.

It was worth the second degree burns on my fingers to prove I was right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads