1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The OneShirt: A Phoenix from the Ashes [4/24/13 UPDATE: A SHIRTMAKER, AN ENGLISHMAN, CHAMBRAY, AND F

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I personally don't care for the selvedge, but how is visible, nubby handstitching not equally fetishistic?

3 people like this.
  2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

For me, the fabric already limits it to casual.

I find myself uncharacteristically unbothered by the selvedge on an obviously casual shirt.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a selvege chambray shirt (links way upthread somewhere), though the selvege line is on the underside of the placket and is not visible unless you look on the inside of the shirt.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh it is, but it is less noticeably so. Also, there is nothing else you could do with those stitches. You could, theoretically, do something better with the selvedge.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

If they used the selvedge somewhere else and tried to claim it was designed to improve the durability of the shirt, most here would immediately call bullshit.

[​IMG]

6. dieworkwear

I don't know. I think selvedge and handstitching are more or less just fetishistic details for clothing nerds. There's some "rationalization" for them - selvedge is more durable, handstitching aids movement in certain areas. Parts of those are true, but those reasons seem pretty secondary to their main function: things to obsess over if you care about old ways of creating clothes. Nubby hand stitches on shirts and trousers are just decorative, and as you know, are often reinforced with machine stitching anyway.

If handstitching is too subtle of a detail, you can take waterfall shoulder heads. There's tons of stuff we obsess over that serves no real function but to advertise to the world "this is something different, this is something special." There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. We can like clothes for the things they represent and for the ways they were created. Not every detail has to have a practical function behind it.

I don't care for the selvedge detail personally, but I don't think it's anything more than personal taste.

9 people like this.
  7. sugarbutch

8. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I'm fine with that shirt as a casual, Summer shirt. I don't mind the selvedge as at least the colors work well together. It could have been purple or yellow or something truly ostentatious. A guy wearing that shirt is still dressed better than the large majority of guys out there.

9. dieworkwear

10. rob

rob Senior member

I think some of the obsession with showy details derives from insecurity: If I've paid so much for this bespoke item, I damn well want something that announces it. I admit to having to fight that urge at times.

One caveat. I don't think this applies to Foo at all, as I've not seen even the tiniest bit of insecurity in him.

Rob

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

That might hold true in some cases, but I think in many other cases it's just clothing "nerds" wanting to satisfy their curiosity and interest. Which is nothing bad IMO.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would notice how "different" your waterfall sleeveheads or surgeon cuffs are in real life, so there's no real point in showing off the "bespokeness" of your garment. When I ask for some eccentric detail, I do it for myself.

12. sugarbutch

For a non-SF, non-denimite, it just looks like a stripe. Hardly showy.

13. dieworkwear

Anyway, the shirt looks to be handstitched, and I think those details look nice. I wonder if Gerald and Diana are able to take online orders, or if you have to visit their shop to get fitted for a shirt.

14. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I'm not hating on it. I just don't like it, and yes it would prevent me from buying it.

Also, it's been done 1000x by the workwear brands for about 5 years to the point that Jcrew and Gap now sell the same gimmick.

Now obviously that Vanda one is much nicer than the mall brand stuff, but it's still a detail that I find gimmicky.

16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

However well made, those are absolutely horrible and the 'selvedge' in that case is like wearing the label outside. Gauche, in other words. And please no-one try to tell me it's 'ironic'. Marimekko fabrics are fantastic, mind you - all of the curtains in our house are Marimekko. Enough said, I think.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Last i asked, which was a few months ago, they were only doing full bespoke, which requires fittings in person.

18. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

Those are FU pants in the trad tradition. I'd never wear them, but like the concept. Agree the 'selvedge' is taking too far; in fact, to me it would seem to be outside the ethos of trad, but I'm not an enthusiast, take it with a grain... One can tell they are Marimekko just by seeing the print.

19. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like them and I would wear them.

20. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Just got around to put the fabrics together for comparison:
    In the middle two Chambrays, the lighter one is SG cotton/poly old style, and the blu denim one is from the English source mentioned early. The two small sample cuts are handwoven organic cotton cambric fabrics, but as the cotton is not bleached, these have a dirty look nog to my taste. I have also included two shirts, the lighter one is an Albini end on end, the slightly darker end on end is from a very cheep italian source. Also in the picture from the bottom left corner, Alumo soyella end on end, Bonfanti Dallas end on end (the finest of all), tops other end on ends from Alumo cards and the bottom right, end on end from Canclini 120/2 argento range. This is to shows that end on end and cambric/Chambrays are two different animals. I like end on end very much for my business shirts, have several more finer then the ones in the picture, do not see it well as substitute for chambray ...[​IMG]