• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Olympics

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Something tells me heads are going to roll at the top in USA Track and Field after these Olympic Games ...
patch[1].gif

i certainly hope so. US Men's 4x100 and US Women's 4x100 = Epic Fail. granted, it's questionable whether they would have gotten gold in either of those events anyway.

-Jeff

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least there's still the men's 4x400. If they don't win gold, that will be an even bigger failure than the 4x100.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
+1 on the men's beach volleyball final. Dalhausser really is a beast/I]. I actually prefer beach volleyball to the indoor variety. It takes incredible skill and conditioning to cover that much real estate with two people, in sand. Beach volleyball may be my favorite Olympic sport.

Exactly. As a lay person, when they don't cover their real estate aka play good defense I get turned off quickly.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
SPOILER:

American Bryan Clay wins the decathalon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...v=ap&type=lgns

"We've got the "˜world's greatest athlete' now," he said.

What do you all think? Is the decathalon a good way to determine the greatest all around ahtlete at any given Olympics?

No.Jack of all trades,master of none.
Having said that you did say all round athlete so maybe.
Personally I find someone who is excellent a one or two disciplines more impressive than someone who is pretty good at several.
Take Kluft as an example,she has destroyed everyone at Heptathlon for years.This Olympics she decided to concentate on triple jump(bombed out) and long jump(finished nowhere).

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
SPOILER:

American Bryan Clay wins the decathalon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...v=ap&type=lgns

"We've got the "˜world's greatest athlete' now," he said.

What do you all think? Is the decathalon a good way to determine the greatest all around ahtlete at any given Olympics?

if you're talking about all around athlete where the point is to be the best at a variety of disciplines, i say yes. either decathlon/pentathlon or the triathlon.

-Jeff

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The judges' cheating is starting to get embarrassing now.
I have just watched the 3rd British fighter go out due to pure skullduggery.
It seems every country is of the same opinion,the Italians reckon they have missed out on six medals
due to the unscrupulous judging.
It is leaving a sour taste on what has been an excellent games.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
The judges' cheating is starting to get embarrassing now.
I have just watched the 3rd British fighter go out due to pure skullduggery.
It seems every country is of the same opinion,the Italians reckon they have missed out on six medals
due to the unscrupulous judging.
It is leaving a sour taste on what has been an excellent games.

I didn't realise the IOC read SF. In an unprecedented move the Sarah Stevenson result has been overturned.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I didn't realise the IOC read SF. In an unprecedented move the Sarah Stevenson result has been overturned.

Did you see the cuban Angel Matos do some taekwondo on the ref and is now ban for life?
boxing[1].gif

In other news, it seems nobody has a chance in diving except china. It has come to the point of it being boring like US winning softball until they got the silver. I understand they are handpicked for flexibility since very young, blah blah, but diving is so repetitive that I don't see why they are so dominant for so long. I marvel at their consistency and the amount of splash on entry before the lack of competition bored me. Of course, I find the synchronized diving events unnecessary. Yeah, it takes skill so why not do mixed synchronizing with 3-6 divers at a time and make each an event? Better yet, we should start with one diver then add one diver per round until last one standing.
plain.gif

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
SPOILER:

Speaking of the possible chinese diving sweep. Matthew Mitcham of AUS broke it with a gold on the Men 10m platform.
worship.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody see the Cuban Tae Kwan Do dude get disqualified then kick the ref in the head and shove an official? Disgraceful. Fidel should put a rocket up that twat's arse...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
Of course, I find the synchronized diving events unnecessary. Yeah, it takes skill so why not do mixed synchronizing with 3-6 divers at a time and make each an event? Better yet, we should start with one diver then add one diver per round until last one standing.
plain.gif

That sounds awesome, actually.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
Anybody see the Cuban Tae Kwan Do dude get disqualified then kick the ref in the head and shove an official? Disgraceful. Fidel should put a rocket up that twat's arse...

lol8[1].gif

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia

That ref did look pretty pleased with himself that he'd called time and lost the Cuban the medal. Not saying he was asking for it, but I bet it was satisfying wiping the look off his face...

zupermaus

Reaction score
The Swedish judge had disqualified him for taking too much time out. The Cuban guy was sitting waiting for medical assistance having broken his toe, but thats allowed in Taekwondo, the only Olympic sport (with judo) that allows you to strangle your opponent till he loses consciousness or break their limb. Youre only allowed 1 minute out.

I can see why the Cuban guy got so mad, he was denied a medal (he'd been winning since then) by doing something he'd thought was normal. However that gives him no excuse to kick the guy, the ref was doing only his job. Also it would be doubtful if he'd have won the match with a broken toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads