• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Feedback on the list has been extremely helpful. Probably enough options to convince my dad not to BYOB a $50 left coast chard.

there's enough decent options in the $150 mark that makes $50 Chard + $90 corking not really worth it.

edit: then again, i'm not so sure that a comparable $50 Cali chard wouldn't be $225+ on that list.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to Per Se on Friday. As has been discussed here on numerous occasions, the wine list is obscene. Is there anything gauche about bringing three of my own bottles and paying the corkage fee? I would be bringing pretty good stuff (maybe $100ish retail) but not epic, rare bottles.

Per Se may be Per Se, but honestly, if they want $90, my reaction is ****'em. And I am not given to strong reactions of this type.

~ H

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd see it as worth it if you picked up something like 2000 La Tache for like $1450, which is a little below most retail offerings, and dealt with the $90 fee. And Per Se doesn't offer the 2000 La Tache. But this did not long ago, and they had it for a cool $5295.

at the end of the day, $90 suggests they don't quite want you bringing your own bottles.

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to Per Se on Friday. As has been discussed here on numerous occasions, the wine list is obscene. Is there anything gauche about bringing three of my own bottles and paying the corkage fee? I would be bringing pretty good stuff (maybe $100ish retail) but not epic, rare bottles.

Some good suggestions thus far. Here's what I'd do with that budget depending on what you're in the mood to drink. Have fun!

Pol Roger, Épernay MV $135
Gruner Veltliner F.X. Pichler, Federspiel, "Klostersatz" 2011 $115
Chablis Domaine Louis Michel et Fils, "Montée de Tonnerre" 2011 $130
Morgon Domaine Jean Foillard, "Côte du Py" 2011 $105 (if you don't want the Lapierre mag)
Crozes Hermitage Domaine Alain Graillot 2011 $100
Gigondas Domaine du Cayron 2009 $105

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, recommendations have been tremendously helpful. I found out today that we are being "upgraded" to a private room due to a connection by one of my dining companions. Has anyone seen the private room set-up at Per Se? I am kind of skeptical - I would much prefer to be around other diners than cordoned off in Siberia.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Private room = VIP = extra courses / special treatment.

Yes, that is what I gathered, I am excited to have TK personally spoon caviar into my mouth. My concern is that private rooms are usually isolated, extremely quiet and devoid of any sort of vibe that comes from being amongst other diners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads