• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
As tempranillos go, this one is very "old world" in style with plenty of prune, dried raisin, dried dark cherry on the nose and palate. I'd guess it likely coems from old vines. Pretty strongly tannic, acid on the higher side and fairly pronounce alcohol. Strong minerality... long finish.

What my musical friend said. And enjoyable along with last night's Napa Cellars Cab after that heartless guttersnipe of a Burgundy from Friday night. The garnet loveliness of the LAN and the dark purple of the inexpensive Cab have assuaged my wrath.
smile.gif

Morning.

Cappuccino. Bach.

starkerbach.jpg

Lunch.

Basement cleanout. 3 people, 3 hours, 3 trips to recycling centre.

Mid afternoon Tempranillo treat.

lanrioja.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wine choses; bringing two bottles of 07 Turley Old Vines. Off to dinner.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Egly Ouriet Champs for a day at the beach in the hamptons. Just got back to the city, lovely time out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So, ribeyes, sauteed mushrooms, and baked off broccoli with garlic for dinner tomorrow. How does 2005 Pride Mountain Vineyards Merlot sound for the wine?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GF's sister got married. What would be an appropriate gift? I don't have a 250k fallback job, but if it's something you guys would vouch for I wouldn't mind paying under a bill.

I don't know their preferences that much. I know they had a wine tasting.

Would something that would age be appropriate or something that they can drink soon be more appropriate?

Bubbly? Cult Cabs? Maybe a really drinkable Viognier?

Also, really wanted to go to Troquet to try some foie gras for the first time and a glass of d'yquem, but
frown.gif
apparently they closed on the weekend.

I had a late harvest Rosemblum Viogner that tasted like really ripe peaches with vanilla liqueur sprinkled over it. It was quite good.

Flamboyant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
A tempranillo last night: Dominio de Atauta Ribera del Duero 2005

As tempranillos go, this one is very "old world" in style with plenty of prune, dried raisin, dried dark cherry on the nose and palate. I'd guess it likely coems from old vines. Pretty strongly tannic, acid on the higher side and fairly pronounce alcohol. Strong minerality... long finish.

I had the first bottle of two cases I cellared of 05 Pingus from the same area. Too early, but the Flor de Pingus is drinking well. I also had the 95 a little while ago - I think 05 is as good.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
GF's sister got married. What would be an appropriate gift? I don't have a 250k fallback job, but if it's something you guys would vouch for I wouldn't mind paying under a bill. I don't know their preferences that much. I know they had a wine tasting. Would something that would age be appropriate or something that they can drink soon be more appropriate? Bubbly? Cult Cabs? Maybe a really drinkable Viognier? Also, really wanted to go to Troquet to try some foie gras for the first time and a glass of d'yquem, but
frown.gif
apparently they closed on the weekend. I had a late harvest Rosemblum Viogner that tasted like really ripe peaches with vanilla liqueur sprinkled over it. It was quite good.

I find wine buying, unless you know the person and their tastes very well, to be a bad idea in general for gifts. I've done it a few times. And each time have realized there were better options I should have taken.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So, ribeyes, sauteed mushrooms, and baked off broccoli with garlic for dinner tomorrow. How does 2005 Pride Mountain Vineyards Merlot sound for the wine?
Likely ideal. Ribeye is
inlove.gif
GF's sister got married. What would be an appropriate gift? I don't have a 250k fallback job, but if it's something you guys would vouch for I wouldn't mind paying under a bill.
It's likely because of my Champagne preference as of late, but I'd do some bubbly. Because of preferences, it can be tough to buy reds, but everybody appreciates bubbly even if they know nothing about it. Look for some DP2K (Dom Perignon 2000), you can probably find it for $140, or some Bollinger Grand Ainee 1999 which can be had for $70. And then from Roederer there is the non-vintage Champs for $50 or their 2002 Cristal for $200 (but it really is a phenomenal wine).

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Last night, with grilled chicken and rice
2006 Ridge Geyserville. Very nice wine, mostly a Zin (70%) blend with carignane, petit syrah, and, strangely enough, 2% Mataro. Anyone know more about this grape?
Then a Carmes de Rieussec 2004. Good Sauternes for $30 a half. Big dried apricot and candied citrus on the nose. Really intense and powerful in the mouth. Big almond flavors with some orange and a bit of a toffee flavor. It was really satisfying. The incredible mouthfeel typical of Sauternes, with a nice, medium length finish. Like.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ Nice write up, K. I have a few of those Ridge's laid down so happy to hear they are good. Looking forward to trying that Pride Mountain after golfing today.
Also, really wanted to go to Troquet to try some foie gras for the first time and a glass of d'yquem, but
frown.gif
apparently they closed on the weekend.

Head back! Good to see folks wanting to try some classic pairings. As to helping with a bottle, I'd say either bubbly or something sweet. Just so hard to tell what folks will like but most will at least think they like Champagne and will usually be able to drink something sweet.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flamboyant
I had the first bottle of two cases I cellared of 05 Pingus from the same area. Too early, but the Flor de Pingus is drinking well. I also had the 95 a little while ago - I think 05 is as good.

Yeah- this was probably a little early. Not sure a solid decant would break it much but nonetheless a nice bottle.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would like to inform the folks in my thread, that Pride Mountain was incredible. Firm tannins, lush berry fruit, just a hint of smoke, a little mocha. That was a monster bottle.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stifling day in Toronto and a power failure in the bottom half of the city, so we had to eat at Sassafraz, a popular celebrity hangout during the Film Festival. It's very overrated, but the wine was very nice and the cars driving by, amazing!

sassafraz1.jpg

sassafraz2.jpg

sassafraz3.jpg

sassafraz4.jpg

sassafraz5.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the 4th of July weekend I opened up 2007 Le Pigeoulet en Provence. This is a white Vin de Pays de Vaucluse by the Brunier brothers of Vieux Telegraph.

Oh yeah, this was nice: Honey pear apples on the nose and tongue followed by pepper and herbal spice. Smooth mouth drenching wine; another golden apple with provence pepper. This is just a nicely built wine full of subtle graces. Did I mention this is a Kermit Lynch import?

I found it at a wine shop up in Evanston, Vinic Wines. It is a great place, partly because the prices are good, partly because of what they carry, and partly because of the aesthetic of the place. Did you know it is Jerry Garcia's birthday? Neither did I, but the Dead were on the radio while I looked around. I can compare this to another place, in Arlington Heights, where I went seeking a bottle of Les Palliieres: Grand Cru Wine Merchants, where the proprietor obviously cared deeply about the condition of his mid-range bottles; certainly a good place to buy from. On the other hand, the selection of obscure wines and Kermit Lynch wines at Vinic was more fun to browse, and Vinic is more fun to be in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads