• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It's not that much of a gamble. You just need to know where to place you bets, like away from the big negociants.

indeed true, but I have still found the process to be sometimes frustrating and in many ways still a gamble. Very knowledgeable store reps have helped my Burg purchasing substantially, though sometimes a good rep can be few and far between.

And now I'm
ffffuuuu.gif
as Helene Darroze is god damn closed for the entire time I'll be in London.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I believe I have a basic idea of how to buy Burgundy and yet I end up pissed off at least 1/3 of the time.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Canadia Day!

2004 Greysac - nice little bordeaux after a two hour decant at a great price ... old world FTW!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I still have a problem thinking this thread belongs to one person.

Tonight, 05 Rod's Reserve, Toad Hollow, Sonoma.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess June 30/July 1 is a very popular release date for the wineries. I've gotten release notifications from nearly every one whose list I'm on. Sea Smoke (my first year to get an allocation, bought a few), La Sirena (not yet), Newton (passing) and...today...Shafer released their '06 Hillside. I have the '04 and the '05, it kills me not to get a bit of the '06. But DAMN, after tax and shipping its $245 a bottle (Shipping's free if you buy six they tell me)
ffffuuuu.gif

It'll make for one hella 60th birthday party (in about 12 years) though right.

Finished off the last of the Montalena Zin from last night. I think I'm deciding I don't really like this wine that much after all. Virtually no change from last night. Very acidic plummy taste with lots of spice. The alcohol taste is quite pronounced and not very balanced on the back end. Maybe this would be better with food, I'm just sipping it tonight. I don't know.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What did Sea Smoke send you? I'm on the list!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What did Sea Smoke send you? I'm on the list!

4 of the '08 Southing PN (bought)
2 of the '08 "Ten" PN (bought)
1 of the Magnum 2 pack--Chard and PN, I think (passed)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ah, the 08 releases. I got that mailer in March. Whew. Had me worried for a minute!

Did your Kistler release? I'd love to be on that list and am quite jealous of you.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Ah, the 08 releases. I got that mailer in March. Whew. Had me worried for a minute!

Did your Kistler release? I'd love to be on that list and am quite jealous of you.

Yeah, so since this is my first year I'm probably getting an allocation because some other folks passed or didn't take their full allocation.

Actually I got my Kistler allocation around the first of March and it was delivered around the beginning of April, so its happily sleeping in my storage locker. I wonder if I'm going to get cut from their list though, since I only took about 6 of my 24 bottle allocation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yeah, so since this is my first year I'm probably getting an allocation because some other folks passed or didn't take their full allocation.

Actually I got my Kistler allocation around the first of March and it was delivered around the beginning of April, so its happily sleeping in my storage locker. I wonder if I'm going to get cut from their list though, since I only took about 6 of my 24 bottle allocation.

My bet would be the same or a slightly smaller allocation. The fact you bought means you can still afford them, which is how so many people got cut from the Sea Smoke list. Congrats on getting an allocation!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads