• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That Crombie is BadBoy.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
however, i believe it is recent. i have one. sans nice collar.looks 2000-2005. could be wrong. sorry EZ. overcoat. THICK tartan kilt-type material heavy thing.early late 80's-early90's. Crombie are BEASTS at any age.
Ahhh, well, this clothing thing is a constant learning process, that's why I come here. :nodding: Thanks for the info!

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A discussion in the thrift bragging thread made me realize I need to put this caveat in here:

Union tags are helpful, but they are only a general guide. Earlier tags were sometimes used after their replacements had been introduced if a particular tailor or factory had a bunch of the old ones laying around. The only thing a union tag will tell you for sure is that the garment wasn't made prior to when they started using that label.

In other words, you can use a union tag to establish a not-earlier-than date of manufacture, but not a precise date or a not-later-than date.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A discussion in the thrift bragging thread made me realize I need to put this caveat in here:

Union tags are helpful, but they are only a general guide. Earlier tags were sometimes used after their replacements had been introduced if a particular tailor or factory had a bunch of the old ones laying around. The only thing a union tag will tell you for sure is that the garment wasn't made prior to when they started using that label.

In other words, you can use a union tag to establish a not-earlier-than date of manufacture, but not a precise date or a not-later-than date.
I can provide evidence to back this up....Union tag indicates the later part of '62-'76, but maker tag is dated 1980.
$T2eC16h,!wsE9suw0PbNBQ9HBCS8OQ~~60_57.JPG
$T2eC16V,!)8E9s4l7bT)BQ9HBEy,zw~~60_57.JPG

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low volume operations like custom tailors would be especially prone to that, I would think.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The old Hanover Shoe factory, spent a little time as a temporary library while the new local library was being built. Now the factory has been remodeled as an apartment building.

The old Stetson Shoe Factory I believe is a combination of housing and shoe museum.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gotcha, there is obviously no union tag to go by, so I was just taking a guess. On another note, here's a large piece of Brooks Brothers luggage from the 40's. This I did find information on in regards to the metal tag near the handle.

I have been collecting 40s luggage I see to trade or sell as it is used a lot for vintage shop fitouts Down Under.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Spoo, my guess would be '50s for those shoes, but they could be anywhere in the '40s-'60s.

The extended into the vamp round captoe ventilated spectator is pure early 50s.

jchosko

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this thread. It's going to get me back on SF with some more frequency. Amazing stuff!

Here's some vintage jackets I picked up recently (with the exception of the 4 button cuff one, that's a recent PRL by Corneliani), they're by BB, J. Press, and Southwick.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1. I think that label is from at least the '30s, if not older.
I have sent photos of the back marks of the buttons to a button appraiser to get an approximate date on those. I found some Norfolk Hunting Club buttons on ebay with the exact same back marks. The NHC has been around since 1895, so I suppose they could be from around that time...or more recent of course.

Last edited:

Beau!

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a vintage coat and which seems to be a bit mysterious.
The tag says Georg Blitz 1972, which leaves me no hits on the web what so ever. There is a golden button on the inside which says Friedrich Linden, Luedenscheid. This name leaves me with a guy that made buckles and buttons for the nazis and a cameramaker.
Does anybody in here have a clue about the origin of this coat? Or where I could seek help?

In advance, thanks!

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Top 10 coolest things Ive seen in this thread.

I'm going to agree with you here. It's amazing that people throw away or donate stuff like this, when it should be in a museum. Gmmcl's Huntsman too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads