• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful!

I have just heard back from the button expert. He says the buttons on the coat are gilt buttons dating between 1830-1850. I still don't think the coat is quite that old. IIRC the company hadn't even started going by Brooks Brothers at that point.

Wow, that's neat. I agree the coat probably isn't that old, but it's still cool. They changed the name from "H & D.H. Brooks & Co." to "Brooks Brothers" in 1850.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still have a line out to Brooks Brothers requesting info on when they would have been making coats like this. Though I feel it is unlikely I will ever see a response from them.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I still have a line out to Brooks Brothers requesting info on when they would have been making coats like this. Though I feel it is unlikely I will ever see a response from them.

I think you will. They cant see **** like that every day. Its not like you emailed them asking why your non-wrinkle shirt wrinkled.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think you will. They cant see **** like that every day. Its not like you emailed them asking why your non-wrinkle shirt wrinkled.

That's what I'm hoping for. Problem is, there was nowhere to attach any photos and they don't supply an actual email address. I'm probably going to have to call them. I've got nothing but time, I'm in no hurry on this one.

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's what I'm hoping for. Problem is, there was nowhere to attach any photos and they don't supply an actual email address. I'm probably going to have to call them. I've got nothing but time, I'm in no hurry on this one.

Possible for getting someone on the inside: Search Linkedin for people who work at BB or Retail Brand Alliance and try to get in touch with one of them that way. If you can get in touch with someone, they can probably direct you to the right person who can answer your question.

BB has a whole company archives, somewhere in Virginia, I think, that I'd just about give my left arm to be able to visit for a day or two.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help with a date on this Brooks Brothers trench coat?

Anyone? I can't find this label online anywhere... Best I can figure is '74-'95 (based on the union label).

I figure with the number of Brooks Brothers fans in this forum, someone will know...

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit:

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have just heard back from Brooks Brothers about the Fox Hunt coat. They said they are glad to try and help with my request, and that the merchants would love to see my coat. They have now sent me an email address to send the pics.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just heard back from Brooks Brothers about the Fox Hunt coat. They said they are glad to try and help with my request, and that the merchants would love to see my coat. They have now sent me an email address to send the pics.

Nice.
fing02[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow.gif
Maybe they will pay top $$$ to buy it back for their museum!!! I've heard Levi's has done that!

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the Canadians on here:
The Hudson's Bay Co. has changed it's logo for the first time since 1965.
http://business.financialpost.com/2...a-new-logo-for-first-time-in-almost-50-years/

I've found several Harris Tweed jackets that didn't have the just-retired logo and was never quite sure of their age. The shimmering blue HT tag helped but this gives another aspect to consider.

The pre-1965 logo looks like this:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up this vintage navy polo-style coat. The union tag (understanding its limitations set forth above) dates it to the 1940s:

Wool/cashmere blend, super thick and, other than its need to visit a dry cleaner and the possible replacement of one button, this thing is in excellent shape.

GM-H

Reaction score
Probably one of the cooler things I have found in my size, J.Press linen blazer. From the union tag I think its from the 70's. Super trad, 3/2 roll, hook vent, patch pockets, and MOP bottons. Sorry for the crappy pics

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads