• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was Sunshine with a second day at Nakiska, a smaller operation.
I agree, a beautiful place and it was a weekday so not at all crowded. Looking forward next year to probably Jasper.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:D NWOT from Marshalls
:slayer:
Icebreaker 320 Realfleece Hooded Jacket - these things are baller! With New Zealand Merino Wool. Unfortunately too small for me or I'd rock the hell out of it.
Pretty interesting, it has another tag with BAA Code (like sheep haha) so you can look up the location of the sheep whose wool was used! My Code is CD5A818C5 If you want to check it out: http://baacode.icebreaker.com/site/baacode/trace.html/?baacode=CD5A818C5&submit.x=69&submit.y=21
Nice!! I'd be all over it if it were a Large!
I oblige. Remember when I found this jacket for $5? Yeah... that's right... (Ignore beyond amateur photos, I am a rushed student who uses his phone :satisfied: ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181092463579
WOW! I knew they were good, but not that good! Awesome! :slayer:
Big shout outs to NATAKU and Wes for awesome hook ups! NWT Ford and EB canvas and leather bag and a blackwatch SC!!!!!!!!!!! Both are in freezer now!
Enjoy! :)
I guess that suit made in HK with Loro Piana super 160's might be more valuable than I thought. I guess this is a pretty reputable tailor over there...
Wow - definitely! I think William Yu is on part with WW Chan.
I took my 2 youngest skiing to a Rocky Mountain ski resort just outside Banff. Thrift fit: My two youngest about to head down:
This is the ski-out route. That's my youngest and behind her on the cliff face is an icy-blue frozen waterfall.
Looks like you guys had a great time and a lot of fun! Also: Shot out to Evil Abed for an awesome trade! Even tossed in a couple extras! Thanks again! Love the shirt and tie!

Last edited:

mb0893

Reaction score
very cool pics Boh! and quite the haul, as well.

If anyone would be interested in this Bozghese suit (cloth by Zegna) please let me know and I'll see if it's still there when I go next weekend. Tagged 46. Very minty.

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Also: Shot out to Evil Abed for an awesome trade! Even tossed in a couple extras! Thanks again! Love the shirt and tie!
Pleasure doing business with you as always.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm going to get crazy with the Aldens you sent out...

Almost bought a crazy pair of old green captoes in my size this evening down the street. Never saw such a thing, seemed well built, but needing love. Couldn't figure out the maker, and then I saw in the maker tag- Stacy Adams... But this was old, and seemed like a much more legit shoe than we're used to seeing from them.

Last edited:

Ejay415

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi, a few things I picked up last week from gw, salvation army, hospice, a for-profit thrift and 99-cent store:

brand new vasque gore-tex

couple of new backpacks

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CesarC

Reaction score
Comments:

So, a couple of days ago I had a dream that I was at the opera and met up with EazyE and wife, and happened to sit in the same row as GMMcL. No thrifting took place, but I imagine that what I was wearing was thrifted. Oh, and the star soloist was Robin Williams, whom I met in the hall as he escaped after his last scene.
puzzled.gif

Quote:
Hard. Want.
Yeah, so this was not found at a thrift store or discount store, but it was on sale and is quite possibly the oldest piece of Brooks Brothers posted on the thread, so *******.

Super Vintage Brooks Brothers Traditional Fox Hunt Master's Pinque Coat. About a size 36...Needs a little love.

Hey! That's exactly like my mom's sewing machine, which I grew up using a little bit. My uncle got it for her when he lived in Japan. Cool.
Super sewing machines, nothing like vintage machines. First one is made in Japan by a subsidiary of Toyota second in Italy.Anyone ever sew here?

Unavailable:

Hanover black shell PTB w/ trees, e-thrifted (didn't list shell, or width)

Seller caked them in instant-shine polish, which I'm about halfway done removing:

Old-school black velvet blazer that fits like a glove (after sleeve lengthening)

Came with extra buttons in baggie!

love this lining!

Interesting texture tie

I also picked up:
a vintage Burberry tie, cool vintage woolen tie for Met Museum, and a **** TON of stuff in my size and style from a guy doing a wardrobe dump (36R/S in DB with 70's style tailoring). Oh, and a green DB trench that fits me perfectly! Been raining stuff my size recently, which never happens!

Available:

BB Seersucker jacket / orphan (exploring trade, but may be available)

buttons chipped; some can be salvaged for button swap, but needs new buttons

Measurements:
Shoulder: 19"
BOC: 30.5"
Chest: 22.5"
Waist: 21"
Sleeve: 24.75" (+1")

TM Lewin shirt, 16x36. Available after I give it the treatment.

Definitely should've passed on this, but was picking up someone's leftovers all evening.
Canali Proposta 3button w/ fused center vent, tagged EU50R

Orvis SC w/ ticket pocket, basted shut

nice horn buttons

Measurements:
Shoulder: 19.5"
Length: 32.25"
Sleeve: 24.75" (+1.5")

old Eddie Bauer sweater, M

Measurements:
Shoulder: 20.5"
Sleeve: 20.5
Length: 25"
Chest: 22"

I also picked up:
a blue Orvis XL flannel, Hanover brown pebble-grain PTB 11.5D, both available but didn't shoot pics yet.
I passed on:
black Trafalgar braces at Marshall's for $20 that I can proxy, and a couple of nice Theory button-down shirts in small and medium that didn't fit me well at $60. I swear, been following in someone's footsteps recently, and I might have to expand my territory into more competitive turf. I thought I was treading on fresh grass, but I either was or have become mistaken...

Recent Thrift Fits:

After a night at the orchestra, saw a great performance of the Rite of Spring with a ribbon aerialist and dancers, very fresh.

IMG_5162_zps2d1343d3.jpg

Jacket: Corneliani, from Brianpore
Tie: J.Press, thrifted by me
PS: vintage Van Laack, vintage store
Shirt: Blank Label, thrift thread SS gift from Tben
Sweater: random Cashmere, TJ Maxx
Unseen
Pants: HF grey flannels, thrifted by me
Shoes: Nettleton shell saddles, ebay at a deal
Socks: grey merino Pantherella, Marshall's
Belt: AE burgundy calf + brass, traded from Westling

It's been rainy recently. Unfortunately multiple people said, independently, that I looked like Inspector Gadget
facepalm.gif

Hat: Bailey's, from DanM
Coat: Aquascutum, thrifted by me
Jacket: vintage J. Riggings, thrifted by me
Shirt: Michelson's, Daffy's
PS: Michelson's, C21
Links: Victorian gold-fill, e-thrifted
Pants: Ralph RL, passed to me from Tubs (thrifted by Westling)
Shoes: AE Park Ave beaters, thrift trade
Belt: AE burgundy + brass, traded with Westling
Socks: CK, Marshall's
Umbrella: University store, member discount

P.S. Should probably get those pants slimmed...

EDIT: I've stopped trying to come up with reasons / excuses for being skinny, but it's probably mostly genetics / metabolism, physical activity, and having a strong ability to curb certain urges (but not others, e.g. spending).

Last edited:

sn0wman

Reaction score
I've found a number of Johnston and Murphy and Allen Edmonds shoes over the years, and thought that was as good as it got out here.

Had a nice surprise today...

Crockett & Jones boots in pretty nice condition!

I think Chelsea is the model - haven't done any research yet.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Hanover black shell PTB w/ trees, e-thrifted (didn't list shell, or width)

love this lining!

Interesting texture tie

I also picked up:
a vintage Burberry tie, cool vintage woolen tie for Met Museum, and a **** TON of stuff in my size and style from a guy doing a wardrobe dump (36R/S in DB with 70's style tailoring). Oh, and a green DB trench that fits me perfectly! Been raining stuff my size recently, which never happens!

Available:

BB Seersucker jacket / orphan (exploring trade, but may be available)

buttons chipped; some can be salvaged for button swap, but needs new buttons

Measurements:
Shoulder: 19"
BOC: 30.5"
Sleeve: 24.75" (+1")

TM Lewin shirt, 16x36. Available after I give it the treatment.

Definitely should've passed on this, but was picking up someone's leftovers all evening.
Canali Proposta 3button w/ fused center vent, tagged EU50R

Orvis SC w/ ticket pocket, basted shut

nice horn buttons

Measurements:
Shoulder: 19.5"
Length: 32.25"
Sleeve: 24.75" (+1.5")

old Eddie Bauer sweater, M

Measurements:
Shoulder: 20.5"
Sleeve: 20.5
Length: 25"
Chest: 22"

I also picked up:
a blue Orvis XL flannel, Hanover brown pebble-grain PTB 11.5D, both available but didn't shoot pics yet.
I passed on:
black Trafalgar braces at Marshall's for $20 that I can proxy, and a couple of nice Theory button-down shirts in small and medium that didn't fit me well at $60. I swear, been following in someone's footsteps recently, and I might have to expand my territory into more competitive turf. I thought I was treading on fresh grass, but I either was or have become mistaken...

Recent Thrift Fits:

After a night at the orchestra, saw a great performance of the Rite of Spring with a ribbon aerialist and dancers, very fresh.

IMG_5162_zps2d1343d3.jpg

Jacket: Corneliani, from Brianpore
Tie: J.Press, thrifted by me
PS: vintage Van Laack, vintage store
Shirt: Blank Label, thrift thread SS gift from Tben
Sweater: random Cashmere, TJ Maxx
Unseen
Pants: HF grey flannels, thrifted by me
Shoes: Nettleton shell saddles, ebay at a deal
Socks: grey merino Pantherella, Marshall's
Belt: AE burgundy calf + brass, traded from Westling

It's been rainy recently. Unfortunately multiple people said, independently, that I looked like Inspector Gadget
facepalm.gif

Hat: Bailey's, from DanM
Coat: Aquascutum, thrifted by me
Jacket: vintage J. Riggings, thrifted by me
Shirt: Michelson's, Daffy's
PS: Michelson's, C21
Links: Victorian gold-fill, e-thrifted
Pants: Ralph RL, passed to me from Tubs (thrifted by Westling)
Shoes: AE Park Ave beaters, thrift trade
Belt: AE burgundy + brass, traded with Westling
Socks: CK, Marshall's
Umbrella: University store, member discount

P.S. Should probably get those pants slimmed...

EDIT: I've stopped trying to come up with reasons / excuses for being skinny, but it's probably mostly genetics / metabolism, physical activity, and having a strong ability to curb certain urges (but not others, e.g. spending).
Wow, those shells are beautiful! Members Only???!!! WHAT!!! I own 2 of their vintage leather bomber jacket. Love that stuff! I was wearing one in my avatar. I'm pretty sure that seersucker is a SC...J Press made one intended to be a SC. Go Gadget, go!!!!!!
I've found a number of Johnston and Murphy and Allen Edmonds shoes over the years, and thought that was as good as it got out here.

Had a nice surprise today...

Crockett & Jones boots in pretty nice condition!

bounce2.gif
drool.gif
Wanty!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

John Sullivan

Reaction score
Picked this up Sunday afternoon at the local GW.
1968 Akai M-9 w/ enough classical music to last me a while.
Plays smooth w/ great sound through two 20W self contained speakers.
BTW, if anyone comes across or has 7" reel to reel music they'd like to make available, I'm now looking!

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

YSL lapels too slim
Post of the week! :rotflmao:
and lots of extra pins and tie bars. I found 4 or 5 novelty pins that will easily pay for the entire lot
I'd like to see the ones with initials alphabetized, plz! :lol: No, srsly. :plain:
I oblige. Remember when I found this jacket for $5? Yeah... that's right... (Ignore beyond amateur photos, I am a rushed student who uses his phone :satisfied: ) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181092463579
WOW! Who has that kind of dosh for buying clothes off the interwebz? Congrats!
I've found a number of Johnston and Murphy and Allen Edmonds shoes over the years, and thought that was as good as it got out here. Had a nice surprise today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads