• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thrift fit pic:

And talk about synergy, my wife was showing me these vintage containers that hold sewing suppleys on ebay last week. She said "I would get one for you, but you'd probably find one thrifting." I told her that I had never seen one before, but that they were pretty cool. Out today and what do I find?

You have no idea.

Got this this week. Had to shell out $45 but it is absolutely packed with supplies.

Pawz

Reaction score

Pawz

Reaction score
You gotta ask to see pics of the damage. Otherwise I would pass. Too expensive if it just turns out to be a luxury dust rag.

Thanks. :)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday, my wife surprised me with what is probably the coolest back to school piece of clothing I've ever received. It was 50% off at Nordstroms, so I figured it was a thread appropriate brag. :slayer:
LOVE this!
I I make good money at my job, but as soon as I pay off my loans ($22K to go - projected payoff is this year!!!) I am going to thrift and do eBay full time. I just love to do it and I will always have my degree to fall back on. My job is just not challenging enough and there is normally nothing for me to do because of the economy. There is also no where else to work.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Been doing eBay full time since I got laid off this past March. I love it, am making more than I did at work and really is great making your own hours and such. Can't beat it!
Pure Awesome! :slayer:
And some Steely Dan (AJA!!!!) Heart, etc.
Jethro Tull is one of my favorite artists and Songs from the Wood is definitely a must-have of their's. The band went through three big changes in music styles. They started out as a blues-rock band (This Was, Benefit), moved onto progressive rock (Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Passion Play) and later transitioned into soft folksy-prog (Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses). I stopped keeping up with them after Stormwatch (1979) but I think they changed again slightly after that one. Anyway, great find. Give it a good spin if you haven't heard it before.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped off a backseat full of donations, and used my 20% off coupon to pick up an SF Giants hat (my size!) and the most awesome Hawaiian shirt I've yet thrifted.

It's a dead stock 1960s shirt with buttons made to look like pieces of lava!

Last edited:

mp906

Reaction score
All available.

E Zegna, made in Italy, L, mint.

J-crew button downs.
XL

Medium

BB makers, 15

Hardy Aimes London, 100% wool

Dolcepunta silk

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Only if you share with the thread your journey through PA and your adventure in Scranton. That story had me chuckling.

Fair enough! I actually was able to search my PMs and find the story...

I did cut across the length of Pennsylvania a few years ago on my way to NYC. It's a much bigger state than it looks on the map. It took us a long time to get back as we had to stop at Penn Sate and Scranton (huge The Office fans). It was funny, no one at the time knew where to tell us where Poor Richard's was or any of the other hot spots. I think they have tours now, but at the time, one woman said "What show? And it's based on Scranton, PA?" I even went to the Lackawanna County sheriffs office/courthouse. The 3 or 4 deputies looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked if they sold anything with their name on it :D

Yup, after a 2 year break and decade long break before that. :embar:

Congrats! I'm sure it will be more fun this time around, don't let the others make you feel old :slayer:

I
Ah yes. I was in food service for about 10 years. I loved it, but the hours sucked - especially at the management level. I too was an art major. Now I do 3D design and drafting for an electrical contractor.

Not to discourage you in the least. I make good money at my job, but as soon as I pay off my loans ($22K to go - projected payoff is this year!!!) I am going to thrift and do eBay full time. I just love to do it and I will always have my degree to fall back on. My job is just not challenging enough and there is normally nothing for me to do because of the economy. There is also no where else to work.

Am sure you will love your new endeavor. That sounds very interesting. We expect you to report back and track us all sorts of things.

Awesome goals....and incredible that you'll make it! Our students have no real idea what many other people pay for higher education. They pay between €0-375 per semester undergrad and post-grad, including medical and law school. It is also available to international students, but I feel they fear foreign abuse and that may be why they don't offer many undergraduate degrees in English. Quite a few post graduate programs are offered in English, but it's fairly limited in bachelor degree programs.

And talk about synergy, my wife was showing me these vintage containers that hold sewing suppleys on ebay last week. She said "I would get one for you, but you'd probably find one thrifting." I told her that I had never seen one before, but that they were pretty cool. Out today and what do I find?

You have no idea.

Got this this week. Had to shell out $45 but it is absolutely packed with supplies.

These are neat and I see them nearly every time I go. I've never picked one up simply because I don't know what I'd do with it, but they're interesting!

Is this EBAY find worth it?

Seller claims wear under the arms (no pics), the RN leads to nothing, it's been 'personalized', and something's going on inside the collar.

I like the color, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALVATORE-F...371&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=370744308468&

What's a shirt like this worth?

As advised, I'd probably pass. He took the time to mention them, so I'd guess that they're problems....but it may be worthwhile to ask for more pictures!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

HUGE SHOUT-OUT to GM-H for a SICK Holland & Holland baby alpaca blend jacket.

Well, here's my best thrift brag to date, and will explain my absence: met a girl in a thrift and she is amazing--pointed out and correctly identified an orphaned suit jacket out of the blue. :inlove:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

mp906

Reaction score
What is the story on Hardy Amies? I left a jacket with the tag, but it seemed incredibly well made. I liked the buttonholes on it, but there wasn't much info online. It wasn't my size, so I didn't get it.

This one i made in Italy and wool, and like new, so I kopped.

Hardy Amies info from AAAC:

The late Hardy Amies (his book The Englishman's Suit is worth owning) was a Savile Row eminence who had his name on a chain of high-end shops. Amies, who died in 2003, was known for designing women's as well as men's clothing.

He sold his interest to some Hong Kong investors (the Fungs) a couple of years before his death. As I understand it, the chain became badly overexpanded (there were locations in Japan, IIRC) and now all that's left is the original bespoke operation at No. 14 on the Row:

http://www.hardyamies.com/index.php

A side effect of the expansion and contraction of the HA "brand" has been that there is a good deal of HA-labeled haberdashery floating around out there. The HA ties that I own all say "Made in England," but it doesn't surprise me to learn that some of the ones you find in the Asia-Pacific region were made in China. The English-made HA ties I have found to be excellent. I haven't seen or used any of the Chinese-made ones, so I can't comment on those.

Amies was an interesting fellow. He spent WWII as an officer in the Special Operations Executive (SOE), the asymmetrical-warfare outfit that Churchill created in the summer of 1940--a time when Britain was desperate for ways to hit back at the Axis--with a mission to "set Europe on fire."

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

This one i made in Italy and wool, and like new, so I kopped. Hardy Amies info from AAAC:
The late Hardy Amies (his book The Englishman's Suit is worth owning) was a Savile Row eminence who had his name on a chain of high-end shops. Amies, who died in 2003, was known for designing women's as well as men's clothing. He sold his interest to some Hong Kong investors (the Fungs) a couple of years before his death. As I understand it, the chain became badly overexpanded (there were locations in Japan, IIRC) and now all that's left is the original bespoke operation at No. 14 on the Row: http://www.hardyamies.com/index.php A side effect of the expansion and contraction of the HA "brand" has been that there is a good deal of HA-labeled haberdashery floating around out there. The HA ties that I own all say "Made in England," but it doesn't surprise me to learn that some of the ones you find in the Asia-Pacific region were made in China. The English-made HA ties I have found to be excellent. I haven't seen or used any of the Chinese-made ones, so I can't comment on those. Amies was an interesting fellow. He spent WWII as an officer in the Special Operations Executive (SOE), the asymmetrical-warfare outfit that Churchill created in the summer of 1940--a time when Britain was desperate for ways to hit back at the Axis--with a mission to "set Europe on fire."
Thanks for the helpful info! I do like that tie, it's actually fairly interesting. I suppose I should go back and eye that odd jacket and at least check out a size/get pictures in case someone here would be interested.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC correctly Hardie Amies was an English designer that rose to prominence during the 60s. There's a book about the history of 60s & 70s menswear in England - Day of the Peacock - that has a big about HR and others of that period.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

IIRC correctly Hardie Amies was an English designer that rose to prominence during the 60s. There's a book about the history of 60s & 70s menswear in England - Day of the Peacock - that has a big about HR and others of that period.

Interesting! I'm going to check that book out, I'm sure it's a fun read. Lot of photos??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads