• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Nice, man!

I finished my Bachelors (in Web Design and Interactive Media) in September. I went back to school in April of 2010, 14 years after I got my Associates degree.

Not that the high-paying jobs have been rolling in, but I'm getting there.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Major in Thriftology at a graduate level!
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

With a minor in flipping. :rotflmao:

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice, man!

I finished my Bachelors (in Web Design and Interactive Media) in September. I went back to school in April of 2010, 14 years after I got my Associates degree.

Not that the high-paying jobs have been rolling in, but I'm getting there.

Yea, as much as I like my job, I don't want to be a cook forever, and they say it's never too late to go back.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I
Yea, as much as I like my job, I don't want to be a cook forever, and they say it's never too late to go back.

Ah yes. I was in food service for about 10 years. I loved it, but the hours sucked - especially at the management level. I too was an art major. Now I do 3D design and drafting for an electrical contractor.

Not to discourage you in the least. I make good money at my job, but as soon as I pay off my loans ($22K to go - projected payoff is this year!!!) I am going to thrift and do eBay full time. I just love to do it and I will always have my degree to fall back on. My job is just not challenging enough and there is normally nothing for me to do because of the economy. There is also no where else to work.

Am sure you will love your new endeavor. That sounds very interesting. We expect you to report back and track us all sorts of things.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! And same here, if I went back in my early 20's, there is a good chance I would have flunked out.
biggrin.gif
I'm studying fashion design at Columbia, go figure. I was previously one of those art school kids, wahhh wahhhh, even though I've always considered myself somewhat good at "art" I quickly realized it was not really something I wanted to go to school for. It was actually my wife who gave me the push I needed to go back for something I'm really passionate about and Columbia has one of the best design programs in the country. After a grueling 8 hour orientation yesterday, I feel confidant that it was the right choice. First class: garment construction. Working in the industry is my main goal and getting good enough at sewing to tailor my own clothes is an added bonus.
nod[1].gif

OH wow! Can't wait to pre-order a SC or a hand made tie from the Ez-mang! Dibs on 40s!

With a minor if flipping.
rotflmao.gif

Awesome! I was having trouble coming up with a minor and bam! You nailed it!

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I
Ah yes. I was in food service for about 10 years. I loved it, but the hours sucked - especially at the management level. I too was an art major. Now I do 3D design and drafting for an electrical contractor.

Not to discourage you in the least. I make good money at my job, but as soon as I pay off my loans ($22K to go - projected payoff is this year!!!) I am going to thrift and do eBay full time. I just love to do it and I will always have my degree to fall back on. My job is just not challenging enough and there is normally nothing for me to do because of the economy. There is also no where else to work.

Am sure you will love your new endeavor. That sounds very interesting. We expect you to report back and track us all sorts of things.

****, you know if I could thrift full time I would. :D

Randy

Reaction score
Congratulations, EZ, and I'm with Barrel in looking forward to your many successes.

Randy

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^
I trained as a librarian and sometimes I check out the job market in NYC. The pay is crap and could never support a family (or probsbly even an individul) but I recently saw 2 positions at Ralph Lauren, one to manage their corprate wide data library of designs, the other to manage their artifact library, ehich sounded really neat. Someone here mentioned that they'd sold two vintage workwear items to RL designers - that's the place your items ended up in.

dustinmyself

Reaction score
^^^^
I trained as a librarian and sometimes I check out the job market in NYC. The pay is crap and could never support a family (or probsbly even an individul) but I recently saw 2 positions at Ralph Lauren, one to manage their corprate wide data library of designs, the other to manage their artifact library, ehich sounded really neat. Someone here mentioned that they'd sold two vintage workwear items to RL designers - that's the place your items ended up in.

they sound like sweet jobs!

I've always wanted to get into the construction of menswear. But there is so much to know. and there isnt any decent school around.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ocooney

Reaction score
Tax season stuff seems to finally be hitting the shelves here:

Saw 2 bad fakes at 1 store, and at the next, picked up these:

My first C&J (for Barneys). Left another pair for BB that had a large hole in the sole.

Anybody know if the sizing is US or UK if made for a US store?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tax season stuff seems to finally be hitting the shelves here:

Saw 2 bad fakes at 1 store, and at the next, picked up these:

My first C&J (for Barneys). Left another pair for BB that had a large hole in the sole.

Anybody know if the sizing is US or UK if made for a US store?

Whoa. How's that for synergy. I never even heard of evisu genes until yesterday when I found some.

sn0wman

Reaction score
It is rainy out here and decided to hit an estate sale this morning. They advertised Giorgio Armani suits and high end ties so I got there at 5:30am to ensure I got a good number (#4). Fortunately, the first three only wanted tools.

Turns out they were asking $30-$50 for each Armani SC or suit and they were too small for me so I left them. Did snag a Hermes and a Valentino tie.

The only other Hermes tie I owned was absolutely hideous, so it had to be real.. :) This one, since I could see myself wearing this one, I'm not sure. Any Hermes experts out there?

Valentino (red) and Hermes (yellow) ties:

Even cooler, just yesterday I decided I needed a cedar lined chest for storage since all my closets are full and my wife is starting to give me that "look." Leaving the sale, I saw this, looking new - still with its 1970s-type tags on it and both keys for $20. Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads