1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazye

eazye Senior member

Sometimes I don't get to read the thread for a few days and by the time I catch up, there's been so much good shit posted , I just say nice job fellas!, instead of 100 multi-quotes. I think people get the jist..... well.... most people. ;)

2. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

Sure, I could be a jerk...but so is someone who hijacks a thrifting thread to start a flame war. Thanks for the hearty welcome - glad to know I'm in fellow company!

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Totes photobombed.

I would have opted for a lighter trou with that jacket. It's pretty dark and busy, so a darker color, imho, makes the fit seem very drab and dark. Similarly, the black shoes -- I almost universally prefer brown these days.

Ideally, trou would be a hair slimmer and shorter. But I'm the last person to talk in that department.

Jacket sleeve length is good, but just be sure the right shirt sleeve is just caught in your jacket sleeve -- not actually too short.

Similarly jacket length is good and shoulders are pretty close. Maybe a hair too big, but I wouldn't get worked up over it. As you say, the jacket is a tad snug, which is buckling the lapels and opening the quarters a bit too much.

Hard to see colors, but the scale and value contrast of the jacket and tie seem pleasing.

Overall, you're in pretty good shape to start with, and swap the trou for gray and the shoes for brown and you're dancing.

Just my .02

1 person likes this.
  4. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

I like prada. hint hint
    [​IMG]

but deadboy is spot on. a lot of people will look better in JCP/Zara blazers then a canali.
    SUbjective is the key here.
    just as whena woman wears milano blaniks most of us wont even know.
    payless shoes can suffice

example:
    call it spring would be laughed at on styleforum.....
    [​IMG]

5. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

Manolo Blahniks? About all I'm looking at on a woman is her shoes, so that part of your point is probably less lost on others than it is on me. But I do totally agree with the thrust of it: in the end, it's just clothes. Arguing about them, however, can be fun - like the best dinner conversation, it's totally vapid at the same time that it produces a mild thrill. And superficiality in its classic form does not tolerate relativism well. So when I hear a guy "ooh" and "ahh" at some designer whose clothes are plastered all over Times Square and whose name appears in a dozen pop songs, I'll have something to say about it. But, you're right. Just clothes.

6. almosthandsome

almosthandsome Senior member

Few recent things. Mostly keepers or bay-bound.

Theory, Zegna, Zegna rayon, Peter Millar chambray, Gilded Age chambray
    [​IMG]
    Skeety Ted Bakers
    [​IMG]
    Aqua 5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baur Loden, Womens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Armani/Vestimenta x 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Varvatos. crinkly wool w/ metal buttons & functioning cuffs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Donegal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Freeman
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

346 x 3, Makers, PRL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someones small Windham Hill collection (Michael Hedges [​IMG]) JT and Miles Davis
    [​IMG]

Just grabbed these last night, no clean up yet:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been very lucky in vintage Woolrich goodness lately. This guy fits awesome and single-handedly bumps me from almosthandsome to handsome. Well almost.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Let's see a thrift fit in that bad boy!

1 person likes this.
  8. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

I've picked up one of those Flussers. Really outstanding.

1 person likes this.
  9. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

10. mrcmcklwht

mrcmcklwht Senior member

Nudie slim jims

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dries Van Noten

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'm thinking this is real... anyone? My first if so

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  11. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Are those legit? I messaged that guy a few days ago. I couldn't see the Alden stamp and when I asked him if there was one, he kinda dodged the question so I moved on. Going to hate myself if I missed placing a snipe bid on those if they're real.

12. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

No reason to think they aren't legit. Typical Alden markings. Great deal...crazy narrow though

13. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

New one for me, I found this for the Scavenger Hunt. Anyone know the brand? I like the thickness and will probably keep for myself.

EDIT: If you can't read it it says "Astor & Black Custom Clothiers" "Seven-Fold"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. DanM

DanM Senior member

I've heard mix reviews on Astor and Black. I believe there is a fairly extensive thread either here or on AAAC about them. Other than a couple of ties, my personal experience is limited. Ties seemed well made, fwiw.

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Love of the game, man. I don't even post 80% of my finds here, partly because they're meh by the standards of this forum and partly because I'm too lazy.

Wes, can we get a ruling on whether the repro tiger stripe is good for the scavenger hunt?

Tom James-esque MTM company, they've got a following in Ohio and probably elsewhere. Same model as TJ - they'll send a salesman to your office to measure you and take your order; clothes are made in the Far East. My dad got a blazer from them; quality was OK, but he had a hard time getting them to make it fit right.

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Acceptable....but not preferred. Woodland will not be accepted as ERDL

17. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Picked up a nice wool sports coat for $5

Palmbeach - Hartmarx brand. Not sure if it's good or not but the jacket itself is quite nice for the price.

[​IMG]
    The coat was laying on my desk and the bottom was draping thats why it looks funny

[​IMG]

18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Love that brooks jacket. Don't know where you are, but looks like one I saw at GW locally (holly springs, nc). Same string issue on the label. I passed because I didn't know the flip value. But it was nice.

19. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

20. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

maybe you should explore the possibility of having the only facebook group dedicated to munching on buttholes

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.