• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Ack! That's what I was afraid of
wink.gif

The most I've spent on a suit so far has been $400 for my BB 1818s, so spending the same on a jacket is a new proposition for me. I worry what kind of rabbit hole I may be headed down.

spam[1].gif

Hickey Freeman Ltd. NWT 100% Cashmere Solid Brown Sport Coat / Blazer - $425 $299
Size: Brand New - Tagged size 42 Long (see tag photo)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 22"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 19.5"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 26"
Overall Length (bottom of collar to hem): 32.5"
Brand New Sport Coat
100% Cashmere
Front Pockets Sewn Shut
Basting on Vents
Dual Rear Vents
Fully Lined
Half Canvassed
(I also have this in a slightly darker brown)

Hickey Freeman Presidential NWT 100% Cashmere Brown Houndstooth Check Sport Coat - $799 $499
Size: Brand New - Tagged 42 Long (see tag photo)
Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 22"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 19"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 26.75" (needs buttons put on)
Overall Length (bottom of collar to hem): 32.5"
Brand New Presidential Sport Coat
100% Cashmere!
Amazing Pattern Matching
Front Pockets and Chest Pocket Sewn Shut
Basting on shoulders, cuffs and vents
8 New Cuff Buttons with Thread
Lapel Pick Stitching
Dual Rear Vents
Fully Lined
Fully Canvassed

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Ack! That's what I was afraid of ;)
The most I've spent on a suit so far has been $400 for my BB 1818s, so spending the same on a jacket is a new proposition for me. I worry what kind of rabbit hole I may be headed down.

you could put one of us thrifty crazies here (me not best picker, many are better here, I am not volunteering) on the case...and it may or may not be almost new, or perhaps fit almost but not quite right...and spend less.

I say, smoke em if you got em (I rarely do, heh).

In what movie was it said, "Sometimes your just gotta say, 'WTF'?" I do believe, Risky BUsiness...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of illness and lack of time, today was the first day I could go thrift on for two weeks time. It is pleasant to find so much new stock, however, there was not much worth buying for me.

Passed on a vintage Burberry sports coat, made in England and apparently of pretty high quality. Too bad it was a 40L. Also found an ugly green, windowpaned, double-breasted sport coat by Yves Saint Laurent, odd big size. Would probably have bought it if it weren't for the price. Passed on two blazers, MTM by Oscar Jacobson, nice fabrics (Loro Piana) but the prices were too high for mediocre quality. I also found quite a few shirts made by Eton, as it is a Swedish brand they are pretty common over here. Would you guys consider them worth picking up?

Found a pair of trousers that fit me well and will be great for the upcoming summer. I don't even care if it's Hugo Boss, I have such a hard time finding trousers that both my fit my budget (as I am just sixteen years old) and my thighs.

big fan of Eton shirts here, rarely see them in thrifts unfortunately

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Park Ave 12 EEE for my "baby" brother (he said 4E would be better but he thinks he can squeeze in).

Allen Edmonds McAllister 12 D (Available but there is some cracking in the broguing).

workthatwedo

Reaction score
You've been finding some good stuff, man. Those shoes will definitely get you a bit of money on ebay. Or you might even post them on Ask Andy for $50 or something.

I'll be out of commission this weekend due to baseball purposes, so go thrifting crazy.

Thanks for ceding me the territory!
biggrin.gif

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size shirts do you have? I'm always on the look out for regular fit, slim cut is too tight on my frame.
Taking a look back over at AAAC reminded me why I don't visit very often anymore. It also made me wonder whether I should make an effort to sell some stuff that is the wrong size/style for the SF crowd (larger sizes, pleats, sack suits, traditional fit BB shirts) over at AAAC. Anyone sell or trade over there? Worth the trouble?

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left behind a 42L Samuelsohn orphan. No luck finding the pants.

Also left behind this creamsicle houndstooth Samuelsohn sport coat but I forgot the size.

Why did you leave behind the SC? That thing is baller!

Madroaster

Reaction score
Not a thrift find, but consignment. Filled a big summer hole so I was glad to get it. NWT ZZegna sportcoat, linen/cotton blend. The white balance is off (iPhone) so the jacket looks lighter than it is. It's a dark navy.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift fit. Had a (rare) formal meeting today, so went really conservative for me. I'm really liking this suit the more I wear it, despite the nontraditionally low gorge. The body fit is just great everywhere, which is extremely rare for me.

Suit: Hickey Freeman "Customized" (very old...I think it's the equivalent to the modern "hand tailored" line)
Shirt: Brooks Bros. slim fit
Tie: Brooks Bros
Shoes: AE Park Aves

All thrifted by me

Last edited:

Madroaster

Reaction score

Thrift fit.  Had a (rare) formal meeting today, so went really conservative for me.  I'm really liking this suit the more I wear it, despite the nontraditionally low gorge.  The body fit is just great everywhere, which is extremely rare for me. 

What do you consider a traditional-height gorge to be? That seems fine to me.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe it is the pictures/angle, but it is a bit lower than my other jackets, but not as much as I thought now that I look at it. The bottom of the gorge sits about 1.5-2" above my belly button when closed.

What do you consider a traditional-height gorge to be? That seems fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads