The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

2. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

They look brown because that's how cordovan ages, is what I was told by someone who cobbles for a living. I picked up some BB Aldens a while back that looked like that.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Also picked up 2 Donegal Tweed SCs

And this other stuff.

Vintage Bostonian V Cleats 10 D/B
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Vintage Corcoran Military Paratrooper Boots, look to only have shelf wear, maybe worn once. (9 D)
    Sold some worse than these before for big bucks.
    [​IMG]

Oh did I forget to mention 35-40 more pairs of cufflinks? I'll set them up better later for a Cufflink photo extravaganza
    For those keeping track, that's 75 pairs (I think) in less than 2 weeks.
    [​IMG]

I'm going out of town for the weekend, so if you PM me I may not answer til Sunday or Monday, but I will try if I have cell service.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I am trying so hard to find a pair for you man. You mentioned work boots before...these are so close.

Yes, its sort of a reverse patina thing going on.

6. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

really? damn - i was certain that they were misplaced photos. even the sole looks to be different. anyway! holy shit on the cufflinks. I am def. going to bite this time around.

[​IMG]

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Report from the field: A friend just closed on a vacation home in the Berkshires and invited a few of us out for a guys' weekend. I just scored a FLAWLESS letterman jacket dated 1946 and the lady threw in a picture of the football player who it belonged to for free. No steady internet, but we're getting hammered on Berkshire Brewing Co. Steel Rail Pale Ale and I had to mention this on the thread from a barstool at the Conway Inn, lol.

8. gauchogolfer

gauchogolfer Active Member

Reality check request. Am I nuts to consider buying a Samuelsohn blazer at Nordstrom Rack for $400? It's a perfect fit, soft cashmere jacket, but more than I wanted to spend on the spur of the moment. How good a deal is this?

9. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Left behind a 42L Samuelsohn orphan. No luck finding the pants.
    [​IMG]

Also left behind this creamsicle houndstooth Samuelsohn sport coat but I forgot the size.
    [​IMG]

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Part of that is due to the fact that my flash apparently fired on both of those pics.

11. concealed

concealed Senior member

Franklin County eh? Berkshire is decent beer, for thrift store prices ($7.99/64oz growler) can't beat it around this way :)

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

They retail for over $1,000, I really like the quality myself. I think that's a great deal for a brand new cashmere blazer that fits perfect.

13. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

You've been finding some good stuff, man. Those shoes will definitely get you a bit of money on ebay. Or you might even post them on Ask Andy for $50 or something.

I'll be out of commission this weekend due to baseball purposes, so go thrifting crazy.

14. gauchogolfer

gauchogolfer Active Member

Ack! That's what I was afraid of ;)
    The most I've spent on a suit so far has been $400 for my BB 1818s, so spending the same on a jacket is a new proposition for me. I worry what kind of rabbit hole I may be headed down.

15. Broder

Broder Well-Known Member

Because of illness and lack of time, today was the first day I could go thrift on for two weeks time. It is pleasant to find so much new stock, however, there was not much worth buying for me.

Passed on a vintage Burberry sports coat, made in England and apparently of pretty high quality. Too bad it was a 40L. Also found an ugly green, windowpaned, double-breasted sport coat by Yves Saint Laurent, odd big size. Would probably have bought it if it weren't for the price. Passed on two blazers, MTM by Oscar Jacobson, nice fabrics (Loro Piana) but the prices were too high for mediocre quality. I also found quite a few shirts made by Eton, as it is a Swedish brand they are pretty common over here. Would you guys consider them worth picking up?

Found a pair of trousers that fit me well and will be great for the upcoming summer. I don't even care if it's Hugo Boss, I have such a hard time finding trousers that both my fit my budget (as I am just sixteen years old) and my thighs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.