1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I do a fair amount of business there and I think that it is absolutely worth it. Posting photos is a bit of a hassle because you have to use Photobucket or an equivalent site, but that's OK. The thrift thread gets a ton of traffic, but, as brianpore and a few others have learned, it's not OK to post just anything. A lot of stuff that doesn't get much love here does over there--Harris Tweed, BB OCBD, a few other things. From a seller's standpoint, a lot of singles and doubles, but steady. As for it being weird, a lot of denizens there think the same thing about folks here, but they are not bad sorts.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Kicking myself for not taking a picture - But gonna try and describe it anyway.

I found a YSL shirt yesterday: all white dress shirt with "Yves Saint Laurent" woven into the vertical monochromatic stripes in a 20 point font or so every 2 inches horizontally, and repeating with three inches in between vertically. The writing was subtleish.

Anyone ever seen anything like that? Should I kop for teh flip? I think it was $8.

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

More mad knowledge. Thanks for sharing such granular data. I'm sure I'm not the only one who read this and said "THIS stuff is why come back reading."

In other news, I've never had occasion to do one of these

:fu:

but imma float that out for the following, which has happened twice in a month on vintage >$5 wingtips I've bought that I busted my ass to make look halfway respectable...and this one happened during an important meeting (serves me right for poor judgment wearing a newly thrifted pair in such a situation...call that a lesson learned)...on the bright side, I think I was the only one that noticed because it was on the inside arch:

[​IMG]

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:
    :fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

They's in trash can now.

4. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

[​IMG]

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Wow.

What brand were those alleged shoes?

6. tben

tben Senior member

I shelled[​IMG] out some coin for these. Tell me I am an idiot and I over-payed because they are a size 14. [​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Leeds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

Depends on how much coin - they appear to be in awesome shape.

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    A couple times more than normal thrift prices. Only one shoe appears to have any wear. Insane, it was like someone killed a giant and donated his shoes.

9. vexco

vexco Senior member

Oh come on, size 14 isn't THAT big! Good stuff, tho. They really do look to be in great shape.

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

no brand on the shoe. O'Sullivan heels. Smells like...Executive Imperial!

However, I blame it in the vintage part. LEather dries out. Don't know where or how they were stored. I doused these shoes with Lexol and also polished with meltonian...which should have at least prevented this if it didn't nourish the leather completely (which I'm sure it didn't). This could have happened to any brand of ancient thrifted shoes, no?

There were no telltale cracks or seam splits or anything; I went over them with the lexol really well I thought.

The other pair that blew out was an accident waiting to happen, ha, and it didn't surprise me, hence I didn't post a :fu: screed

Another sad sight for the thrifting brethren:
    [​IMG]

11. catside

catside Senior member

They are gorgeous. Two horses right there. One of them wearing faster! :) I would double or triple what you paid if my size.

12. workthatwedo

workthatwedo Senior member

Alden Tassel Moccasin Burgundy Calfskin -- 663 Aberdeen -- Size 8 1/2 B/D (Available)

After some TLC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ike Behar Shirt 15 1/2 - 34

A little short in the sleeves for me but might keep it anyways. Wish it was a 35 though. Anyone have a 35 they wish was a 34?
    [​IMG]

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Who wants to bet I can make Brianpore wish he had SMALLER feet?

NOS Vintage Gorilla Boots, Steel Toe, Cork Soles (6.5 E)
    [​IMG]

14. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

A timely cautionary tale. Found a pair of NWOT made in USA longwings today for $8, but had never heard of the brand. Woulda grabbed them but they were a weird size, 10.5BB or something like that. Between the never-heard-of-it brand and size, I figured I'd be doing well to make $5, or they might have ended up in the Dexters Black Hole Of Shoes That Never Flip. This photo is karma, I think.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.