The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Looks great!

Question for the thread: does anyone know anything about older Hugo Boss? I know that brand gets little love here, but I saw an old (blue label with HUGO BOSS in big type on it) unlined SC today, fully canvassed and with working cuffs. Looked really good but the store had gone a bit mental with their pricing so I didn't buy. Might go back with a discount though, if that older stuff is better than the more recent.

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I get Boss staple pants sometimes, and I bought a linen jacket for summer on the Bay (those shadows on the lower pocket flaps are the buttons).

Boss has utility but ain't baller

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

That's not the gorge. That's the button point. The gorge is up by your collar bone and looks really nice in the pictures.

[​IMG]

gorge (gôrj)
    n.
    1. A deep narrow passage with steep rocky sides; a ravine.
    2. A narrow entrance into the outwork of a fortification.
    3. The throat; the gullet: The gory sight made my gorge rise.
    4. The crop of a hawk.
    5. An instance of gluttonous eating.
    6. The contents of the stomach; something swallowed.
    7. A mass obstructing a narrow passage: a shipping lane blocked by an ice gorge.
    8. The seam on the front of a coat or jacket where the lapel and the collar are joined.

[Middle English, throat, from Old French, from Late Latin gurga, perhaps from Latin gurges, whirlpool, abyss.]

4. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Senior member

That movie.

So much gold in it.

[​IMG]

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Nice. I have 2 like this (not zegna) but I love wearing them in spring summer. Congrats.

6. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Yeah, I sometimes pick up Boss if it looks nice and isn't too pricey, which isn't often, as most thrift employees around here seem to think it's the epitome of luxury. The label in the jacket I saw today seemed to be from a bygone time though. Wish I'd snapped a pic, as I've never seen it before and probably won't be going back to that store (at least until they decide $50 for a Moores suit is actually not reasonable).

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Corcoran jump boots are a great find. Especially if they're in great shape or Vietnam era & older.

Ran into flipper central today. Went head to head with both a husband/wife team and a mother/daughter team. This place is getting ridiculous. Don't people work anymore? Also wishing Jhane Barnes was Brioni. If so, I would have hit the motherlode. Someone donated their whole Jhane Barnes wardrobe (lots of crazy shirts and sweaters and some ok looking suits).

I did manage to grab a few things. All are available.Not pic-worthy finds, but I tossed up a couple pics of the ties if anyone is interested. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

- Bills M1 Flat front. 32x30.5 (waist size may vary, just going by the tagged waist size)
    - Bills M2p double pleated. 38x31 (waist size may vary, just going by the tagged waist size)
    - Mint Diesel Viker 88z jeans for the bay
    - Recent Brioni navy herringbone silk tie
    - NWT Recent Talbott BOC crazy paisley tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

On the way to somewhere else before I came home from work, I stopped in at a Goodwill that's somewhat off my beaten path that has occasionally yielded quirky finds (white bucks, Tilley hat, etc.). I found my first Corneliani. An 80's DB 6 X 1, unvented with a gorge that started somewhere near my nipples and went up from there. The peaks on the lapels were lower than the notches on my regular coats. :fu: Navy blue with black horn buttons and it fit like a dream. They had boutique priced it at $30. I left it.

I was flipping through the shirts in a desultory fashion and did a double take at this label.

Cotton / linen blend, short sleeves and just a tad large. Kind of an effeminate print but I think I can rock it poolside.
    [​IMG]

Epaulets?
    [​IMG]

Then I went through the long sleeves with a bit more determination.

It's got those cool buttons under the collar that makes it button down but look like a spread collar. Again, just a bit big but I'll live with it.
    [​IMG]

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

I have like 2x the number of sportcoats I should have... The only thing I'm possibly looking for is an unstructured cotton / linen / silk in a bright royal blue.

10. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

FYI to world: i'm also looking for the same thing in a (non-grendel) 44R-46R!!! :D

11. vexco

vexco Senior member

Not really anything around here at the moment. Did pick up a Hickey Freeman pinstripe suit: single vented, super 100's wool, untagged in size but seems to be around 44Rish. Will put up pics later!

Sucks about the flippers, Nataku. Some people have too much time on their hands!

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

+1

DEATH 2 FLIPPERZ

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thanks for all the kind words guys!!

And thanks for the info @Dig...guess I've been using the wrong word all along, oops. [​IMG]

14. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

Well I now know where you shop thanks to the orphan and Aldens. That is one of my favorite stops.

The houndstooth wasn't out yesterday though, so I may have to run over and check that out tomorrow.

Send me a PM if you want to compare notes on the OTP shopping.

15. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Interesting enough, a lot of the new people here are flippers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.