• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not a photographer, though i work with them daily. great job on the light box, but i do think you need one secondary light from directly in front that's unfiltered to pop out the details.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gold cufflinks. 1.99+tax

Talbott, Brioni, and Paul Stuart England staples (can trade these if u need them)

!!!And!!! I will trade this one with a Kiton suit or an Alpha Romeo Spider Veloce or the like. Make offers!! -maniacal laugh here-

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gold cufflinks. 1.99+tax

Talbott, Brioni, and Paul Stuart England staples (can trade these if u need them)

!!!And!!! I will trade this one with a Kiton suit or an Alpha Romeo Spider Veloce or the like. Make offers!! -maniacal laugh here-

I saw a couple of Polo Bear ties for $20 brand new a week ago... But they were kids size :satisfied:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

If it's not Cashmere its only worth a Hickey Freeman
lol8[1].gif

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Photos look awesome! I use a 5000k professional color viewing table and I think the light quality looks just as good. I am definitely impressed. However, you are going to need a much larger box to shoot a suit....or horse barn.

(not 100% perfect condition so prob just going to turn the RLPL into my new "photo tie")
That is what i did with the dunhill tie I was never comfortable with its authenticity.

t2russo

Reaction score
I'll bite. I just needed to do some thrift therapy after a rough couple of days, so I wanted to do something nice out of something bad. Shirt is accounted for, and I let that go for $20, and I just want to get the jacket gone for the $40 I paid plus $6 for shipping. Paying it forward or something like that...

Did he mention "cost" was $90 for the shirt and $600 for the suit...I kid I kid
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Very nice gesture of you. Just make sure these don't go to someones uncle's son's brother's g/f's father....aka ebay.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Built this nice little light box and tried it out. Anyone have any suggestions for light placement? Used tissue paper for the sides but debating about changing it out for a different material. Had to try it out, so tossed a few items I thrifted today in it.... Have not touched the shells yet, but they should clean up really really nice. Dibs goes to someone who has a pair of shells in a 7-7.5 to trade! There are 11D Other Allen Edmonds are a 8.5 EEE Canali and RLPL were 50 cents each (not 100% perfect condition so prob just going to turn the RLPL into my new "photo tie")
The shoes came out lovely. Major props! But I think for taking photos of ties, this is overkill. I can take just as good photos of ties with a piece of white computer paper and my DSLR with a bounce flash (or regular flash if I wanted to).

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll bite.  I just needed to do some thrift therapy after a rough couple of days, so I wanted to do something nice out of something bad.  Shirt is accounted for, and I let that go for $20, and I just want to get the jacket gone for the $40 I paid plus $6 for shipping.  Paying it forward or something like that...

Nice of you. I wish it was my size. Now where is klobber or mexicutioner?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
The shoes came out lovely. Major props!
But I think for taking photos of ties, this is overkill. I can take just as good photos of ties with a piece of white computer paper and my DSLR with a bounce flash (or regular flash if I wanted to).
Figured this was cheaper then a DSLR although that is on my thrift list
lol8[1].gif
Shot with an old Lumix DMC-FZ5

Photos look awesome! I use a 5000k professional color viewing table and I think the light quality looks just as good. I am definitely impressed. However, you are going to need a much larger box to shoot a suit....or horse barn.

That is what i did with the dunhill tie I was never comfortable with its authenticity.
Plan is to get a fridge box and do the same thing for the suits
biggrin.gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll bite.  I just needed to do some thrift therapy after a rough couple of days, so I wanted to do something nice out of something bad.  Shirt is accounted for, and I let that go for $20, and I just want to get the jacket gone for the $40 I paid plus $6 for shipping.  Paying it forward or something like that...

OK someone buy this before I do. I have a navy Saks Made in Italy I picked up before the Holidays from Kloober so I really don't need another.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK someone buy this before I do. I have a navy Saks Made in Italy I picked up before the Holidays from Kloober so I really don't need another.

$40 is a respectable price, will you be in trouble with the wife if too many packets go through your door? :laugh:.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$40 is a respectable price, will you be in trouble with the wife if too many packets go through your door? :laugh:.

After my suit spree of a couple weeks ago...what do you think?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two Mystery Picks Today. Any ideas/info?

First is a very sturdy heavy wool suit, Maker - Neumann (Apparently Austrian?) date 1969, 3 roll 2 jacket, Pleated/cuffed pants. Button Fly. A lot of little details that scream quality.

Vintage Suede jacket. Peak lapels, leathher buttons (hemisphere), zip out liner. I have pictured the only tag in the jacket, I assume the leather patch had the maker on it at one time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads