• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. That's amazing info. First I've ever heard of it, though (in nearly 10 years on the clothing forums, too, which shocks me).

This is what my tailor gave me when trying to get me to go with Adrian Jules :

Even more important, Adrian Jules ranks among a tiny clique of the world’s most elite clothing makers who still hand-craft true, "Grade 6 Make" clothing.

During the early-1900s, the numbers of Grade 6 Makers in America tallied several hundred. Now, probably less than 100 makers, worldwide, still tout a Grade 6 Make. Today, America counts just two Grade 6 makers: New York’s Adrian Jules and Chicago’s Oxxford Clothes. Each stands a toe-to-toe rival with Europe’s most vaunted brand dynasties.

Grade 6 Make dates to the late-1890s and traces its birth to the United Garment Workers. Created to establish an industry-wide employee compensation system throughout America’s garment industry, Grade 1 to 6 was originally a pay-by-ranking system created to objectively benchmark pay scales and hourly compensation to a garment worker’s knowledge, talent and skill level.

During the early- to late-30s, the six grades – particularly Grade 6 – had gained such wide-spread popularity that the grades became a competitive rating system used by clothing makers to rank themselves among their rivals. In short, Grade 1 to 6 came to identify an industry pecking-order: Those with the largest number, or highest employee-percentage of Grade 6 employees, were known as Grade 6 makers – or, a "Grade 6 brand." Like Kleenex and Xerox, Grade 6 Make had become a generic name for a highly elite niche clothing makers.

But by the late-1940s, the prestigious Grade 6 Make had eroded into irrelevancy, its once luxury connotation a victim of WW II wool rationing by the War Production Board and a wartime shift to armaments by U.S. factories and factory workers. Later, automation, then computerization -- and now, robotics – continue to transform men’s suits into marvels of high-speed, technological production. Their genesis from cloth to finished garment, now measured in just minutes, has rendered the once highly revered, Grade 6 Make, near obsolete. Now, only a handful of fashion’s savviest insiders understand the term and use it correctly.

Today, the cost of Grade 6 clothing is beyond the reach of most consumers, save for a handful of well-to-do connoisseurs who demand an impeccably hand-tailored fit, elegant fabrics and the painstaking quality of bespoke craftsmanship.

Surprisingly, the retail price of a handmade, Adrian Jules, Grade 6 Make suit is no more – and sometimes less – than the cost of an all-machine-made suit by a highly coveted designer, whether Gucci, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, or Dolce & Gabbana.

But whether the yardstick measures quality, artisan hand-make, flawless fit, exquisite fabrics or any of the other benchmarks connoisseurs use to judge "value," there’s still another very significant reason every Adrian Jules suit delivers the biggest-bang-for-the-buck: An unrivaled comfort level that’s without peer, thanks to the "free-floating dynamics" of their all natural, full-canvas shoulder construction. It’s for all these reasons that Arnald Roberti, Adrian Jules’ co-CEO, echoes the words of his own loyalists when he calls his company’s Grade 6 Make suits: "America’s Best Worn Secret."

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 43L BB 1818 Golden fleece navy blazer. No pants unfortunately, Are the buttons pretty much worth more than the suit jacket itself?

woodchuck312

Reaction score
cool info Jebarne. Sadly the quality of just about everything has gone down dramatically, the consumer wants to pay the lowest price possible and does not necessarily value quality any longer. Heck someone was talking a few days ago about French Shiner shoes. They used to make a nice shoe but have any of you picked up a pair of more recent French Shiners.... they feel like they are made with card board boxes lol.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it's a navy blazer, you shouldn't be looking for pants...

What are people's thoughts on martin dingman shoes?

aglose

Reaction score
E Zenga tux jacket, 6/1 unvented in good shape, no pants. Kop? Peak lapel probably a 44-46.

Last edited:

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 43L BB 1818 Golden fleece navy blazer. No pants unfortunately, Are the buttons pretty much worth more than the suit jacket itself?
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if its just a blazer. It didn't indicate a drop size for the pants, so I figured it was a blazer. But theres always talk about the difference, due to the button colour etc. Yah the buttons look like the recent one, 8 sleeve 2 down the lapels.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if its just a blazer. It didn't indicate a drop size for the pants, so I figured it was a blazer. But theres always talk about the difference, due to the button colour etc. Yah the buttons look like the recent one, 8 sleeve 2 down the lapels.
IF it has gold buttons on it, it's a blazer. Unless someone put other gold buttons on it before they donated, and it used to have dark horn buttons on it. Even so, seems like it would pass as a blazer, and without a drop on the tag, I'd say you are in good shape to make some dough on it if you want to, or trade it for something nice.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IF it has gold buttons on it, it's a blazer. Unless someone put other gold buttons on it before they donated, and it used to have dark horn buttons on it. Even so, seems like it would pass as a blazer, and without a drop on the tag, I'd say you are in good shape to make some dough on it if you want to, or trade it for something nice.
yah, its the gold ones. thanks guys

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ChetB: That rayon shirt is :slayer:
thrifted myself a hot pair of hot speakers @ 30% off at my local value village: for the uninitiated
Wow! Those are beautiful. I love B&O's designs but hate the fact that you need special cords, connectors and just about everything else to use them. +1 on ChetB's comment regarding the special B&O stylus for their turntables. I thrifted this a couple years ago:
Came with the original remote to boot. Mint condition. Sounded amazing. However, I decided to sell it while the stylus was still good. No regrets.
E-thrifted. Bought and paid for with a mix of consignment store funds and ebay bux.
:drool:
Cross post...
Love that sportcoat!
If I had more disposable income, I'd buy the single shoe and run it over in the parking lot with my car a bunch of times.
:lol:
This is what my tailor gave me when trying to get me to go with Adrian Jules :
Even more important, Adrian Jules ranks among a tiny clique of the world’s most elite clothing makers who still hand-craft true, "Grade 6 Make" clothing. During the early-1900s, the numbers of Grade 6 Makers in America tallied several hundred. Now, probably less than 100 makers, worldwide, still tout a Grade 6 Make. Today, America counts just two Grade 6 makers: New York’s Adrian Jules and Chicago’s Oxxford Clothes. Each stands a toe-to-toe rival with Europe’s most vaunted brand dynasties. Grade 6 Make dates to the late-1890s and traces its birth to the United Garment Workers. Created to establish an industry-wide employee compensation system throughout America’s garment industry, Grade 1 to 6 was originally a pay-by-ranking system created to objectively benchmark pay scales and hourly compensation to a garment worker’s knowledge, talent and skill level. During the early- to late-30s, the six grades – particularly Grade 6 – had gained such wide-spread popularity that the grades became a competitive rating system used by clothing makers to rank themselves among their rivals. In short, Grade 1 to 6 came to identify an industry pecking-order: Those with the largest number, or highest employee-percentage of Grade 6 employees, were known as Grade 6 makers – or, a "Grade 6 brand." Like Kleenex and Xerox, Grade 6 Make had become a generic name for a highly elite niche clothing makers. But by the late-1940s, the prestigious Grade 6 Make had eroded into irrelevancy, its once luxury connotation a victim of WW II wool rationing by the War Production Board and a wartime shift to armaments by U.S. factories and factory workers. Later, automation, then computerization -- and now, robotics – continue to transform men’s suits into marvels of high-speed, technological production. Their genesis from cloth to finished garment, now measured in just minutes, has rendered the once highly revered, Grade 6 Make, near obsolete. Now, only a handful of fashion’s savviest insiders understand the term and use it correctly. Today, the cost of Grade 6 clothing is beyond the reach of most consumers, save for a handful of well-to-do connoisseurs who demand an impeccably hand-tailored fit, elegant fabrics and the painstaking quality of bespoke craftsmanship. Surprisingly, the retail price of a handmade, Adrian Jules, Grade 6 Make suit is no more – and sometimes less – than the cost of an all-machine-made suit by a highly coveted designer, whether Gucci, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, or Dolce & Gabbana. But whether the yardstick measures quality, artisan hand-make, flawless fit, exquisite fabrics or any of the other benchmarks connoisseurs use to judge "value," there’s still another very significant reason every Adrian Jules suit delivers the biggest-bang-for-the-buck: An unrivaled comfort level that’s without peer, thanks to the "free-floating dynamics" of their all natural, full-canvas shoulder construction. It’s for all these reasons that Arnald Roberti, Adrian Jules’ co-CEO, echoes the words of his own loyalists when he calls his company’s Grade 6 Make suits: "America’s Best Worn Secret."
Wow, great information! A local high-end men's clothier does Adrian Jules custom stuff so I see it from time to time in the thrifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy