• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, I know I asked this before, but what's the verdict on Martin Dingman shoes? I was hoping to pick up a new pair of their chukkas that I found for a reasonable price (about 60 bucks for rubber vibram soles).

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
We are all still learning, but if you didn't know that a jacket with gold buttons is a blazer and doesn't have matching trousers and you want to be a buyer and seller of men's clothing, you may want to slow down and do some homework. Wouldn't normally make this comment except you are a frequent poster and seem to be pretty committed to the thrifting game.

By the way my C&J Marlow Shell's arrived today from the Ralph Lauren sale, they are amazing. I forget who it was who tipped us off tot he sale in the forum but I thank you greatly!! :)

Awesome. That was an insane deal. Still waiting patiently for my stuff to ship.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ArborVitae I would say they are separates and both companies happen to have ordered the same fabric from the same mill. If you found them together, though, that's a little too coincidental to be likely.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is what my tailor gave me when trying to get me to go with Adrian Jules :

Even more important, Adrian Jules ranks among a tiny clique of the world’s most elite clothing makers who still hand-craft true, "Grade 6 Make" clothing.

During the early-1900s, the numbers of Grade 6 Makers in America tallied several hundred. Now, probably less than 100 makers, worldwide, still tout a Grade 6 Make. Today, America counts just two Grade 6 makers: New York’s Adrian Jules and Chicago’s Oxxford Clothes. Each stands a toe-to-toe rival with Europe’s most vaunted brand dynasties.

Grade 6 Make dates to the late-1890s and traces its birth to the United Garment Workers. Created to establish an industry-wide employee compensation system throughout America’s garment industry, Grade 1 to 6 was originally a pay-by-ranking system created to objectively benchmark pay scales and hourly compensation to a garment worker’s knowledge, talent and skill level.

During the early- to late-30s, the six grades – particularly Grade 6 – had gained such wide-spread popularity that the grades became a competitive rating system used by clothing makers to rank themselves among their rivals. In short, Grade 1 to 6 came to identify an industry pecking-order: Those with the largest number, or highest employee-percentage of Grade 6 employees, were known as Grade 6 makers – or, a "Grade 6 brand." Like Kleenex and Xerox, Grade 6 Make had become a generic name for a highly elite niche clothing makers.

But by the late-1940s, the prestigious Grade 6 Make had eroded into irrelevancy, its once luxury connotation a victim of WW II wool rationing by the War Production Board and a wartime shift to armaments by U.S. factories and factory workers. Later, automation, then computerization -- and now, robotics – continue to transform men’s suits into marvels of high-speed, technological production. Their genesis from cloth to finished garment, now measured in just minutes, has rendered the once highly revered, Grade 6 Make, near obsolete. Now, only a handful of fashion’s savviest insiders understand the term and use it correctly.

Today, the cost of Grade 6 clothing is beyond the reach of most consumers, save for a handful of well-to-do connoisseurs who demand an impeccably hand-tailored fit, elegant fabrics and the painstaking quality of bespoke craftsmanship.

Surprisingly, the retail price of a handmade, Adrian Jules, Grade 6 Make suit is no more – and sometimes less – than the cost of an all-machine-made suit by a highly coveted designer, whether Gucci, Prada, Ralph Lauren, Burberry, or Dolce & Gabbana.

But whether the yardstick measures quality, artisan hand-make, flawless fit, exquisite fabrics or any of the other benchmarks connoisseurs use to judge "value," there’s still another very significant reason every Adrian Jules suit delivers the biggest-bang-for-the-buck: An unrivaled comfort level that’s without peer, thanks to the "free-floating dynamics" of their all natural, full-canvas shoulder construction. It’s for all these reasons that Arnald Roberti, Adrian Jules’ co-CEO, echoes the words of his own loyalists when he calls his company’s Grade 6 Make suits: "America’s Best Worn Secret."

So, you're saying I shouldn't have sold my Adrian Jules suit (bought from Nat, actually) for, like, $95 shipped? And that I shouldn't pass on their ties?

[
Love that sportcoat!

I have a similar HF cashmere roughly your size. Get @ me if you want measurements.

Last edited:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hometown thrifting only really brought women's clothes today. Anyone's wife/girlfriend an 8.5AA and actually into this style?

Ferragamos

The girlfriend found this. Best part is that she would have bought it anyway simply because it was small and had zebras on it.

Medusa.

I have a hard time believing someone would fake a shirt as weird as this one, but here's some shiny Charizard **** on the tag.

I went to a weird discount store that I sometimes find good stuff at. Found a whole rack of "Hickey" suits for about $40 a pop. This was really cool to me at first because I'm in the market for a super cheap suit. Problem was that NOTHING MATCHED. I would find jackets that fit me and no pants that matched and then I would find pants that fit but no jacket. They had a lot of JAB too but I'm not sure where the quality was at.

ArborVitae

Reaction score
@ArborVitae I would say they are separates and both companies happen to have ordered the same fabric from the same mill. If you found them together, though, that's a little too coincidental to be likely.

Thanks for the input, that's not completely impossible. They were both found together, are both a size large, and are (in my estimation) too well built to be fake. I thought maybe it was a collab or a maker's mistake?

Edit: Same buttons too.

Last edited:

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ben Silver madras for me

First time picking up a Reyn Spooner. Lets see how this goes.

These are AMAZING! Lilly Pulitzer lizard print pants. 34 x 32/33ish.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BBGF Navy 43L, coolest part is the fully functional cuffs.

Cool lululemon savasana wrap size 4

@ChetBGood point, I just don't get into suits that often, I should really start researching. I appreciate the feedback

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy