• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

G1 original 1986 first issued Predaking! One of the rarest combiner ever made! Suck it bitches!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't either until I started having my suits made. As I understand it (and I would bet Orgetorix would know the full history here) is that the union created designations for factories based on the skills that were required to make the clothes in that factory. It wasn't until later that the makers started advertising based on the union designation of their factory. 

A really nice M2m, full canvas, has a shot at being a grade 5, though it could be a grade 3 or 4, depending on who makes it, and other choices, amount of handwork etc. I would consider a golden fleece as a grade 5 when made by MG, not sure today. I would put the 1818 line at 3+ or 4. 

When I was shopping around, they typically referred to Grade 6 guys as "bench-grade" suits with almost all the finishing done by hand. And when I checked, everyone was outsourcing to either Oxxford or (most common) Adrian Jules. I don't know where the Corneliani, Canali, Brioni etc m2m's would rate quality wise but I would guess 5 equivalent. Canali is taking over the m2m business from Joseph Aboud since Men's wearhouse bought them. Full Canvas. Nice product that almost anyone on this forum would happy to have in a 10 suit work rotation, but I'm guessing the price point they want is sub $1500, which means a few compromises, so I'm guessing Grade 4. Still damn good and a great work horse suit in a rotation. If, like me, you went to Nordstroms, Dillards, Belk, Macy's and bought the HSM, RRL, Joseph Aboud or Hickey Freeman, you were likely buying a grade 3 suit and were thrilled to have it. Now, you won't pay $15 for one of those in like new condition at goodwill. 

Would be interesting to find what went into the criteria chosen for the different grades. Wonder if Jeffreyd has ever discussed.

Waiting to hear of one of my guy's occasional 20% off sales because I want to have a 1/4 lined A Jules blazer made for the summer. 

Even at that, a top tailor (like Despos) who makes a pattern for you, uses the best fabrics, hand fits you a couple of times in the process will be vastly superior to that, but at 2x or even 3x the price. 

If I was younger and better looking, It might be worth it.

naaaaah.

the more you know! thanks man for the rundown.

and @eazye that LP suit is bossssssss

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't either until I started having my suits made. As I understand it (and I would bet Orgetorix would know the full history here) is that the union created designations for factories based on the skills that were required to make the clothes in that factory. It wasn't until later that the makers started advertising based on the union designation of their factory. 

A really nice M2m, full canvas, has a shot at being a grade 5, though it could be a grade 3 or 4, depending on who makes it, and other choices, amount of handwork etc. I would consider a golden fleece as a grade 5 when made by MG, not sure today. I would put the 1818 line at 3+ or 4. 

When I was shopping around, they typically referred to Grade 6 guys as "bench-grade" suits with almost all the finishing done by hand. And when I checked, everyone was outsourcing to either Oxxford or (most common) Adrian Jules. I don't know where the Corneliani, Canali, Brioni etc m2m's would rate quality wise but I would guess 5 equivalent. Canali is taking over the m2m business from Joseph Aboud since Men's wearhouse bought them. Full Canvas. Nice product that almost anyone on this forum would happy to have in a 10 suit work rotation, but I'm guessing the price point they want is sub $1500, which means a few compromises, so I'm guessing Grade 4. Still damn good and a great work horse suit in a rotation. If, like me, you went to Nordstroms, Dillards, Belk, Macy's and bought the HSM, RRL, Joseph Aboud or Hickey Freeman, you were likely buying a grade 3 suit and were thrilled to have it. Now, you won't pay $15 for one of those in like new condition at goodwill. 

Would be interesting to find what went into the criteria chosen for the different grades. Wonder if Jeffreyd has ever discussed.

Wow. That's amazing info. First I've ever heard of it, though (in nearly 10 years on the clothing forums, too, which shocks me).

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The employees at a local GW do this. They hide the other shoe of a pair they want in the back until their shift is over and they are able to make a purchase. Really shady staff at this store.

****, I should have figured this. I found a solo suede PRL made in England (C&J) loafer a few weeks ago, but couldn't find its mate.

E-thrifted. Bought and paid for with a mix of consignment store funds and ebay bux.

NIIIIIIICE!

OliT

Reaction score
Guys,

Any opinions on Walkover shoes? They're on sale at VP now, and the loafers (made in Maine) run about $160. Seems like a decent deal.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The employees at a local GW do this. They hide the other shoe of a pair they want in the back until their shift is over and they are able to make a purchase. Really shady staff at this store.

This makes me sad. The single nicest shoe I have ever come across was a mint Alden, looked like a wholecut with toe medallion, and I tore the store apart trying to find its match. Probably should have bought it anyway and sold as an amputee shoe just to spite anyone hiding the other shoe.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New york folk (@hooker4186 , @TJGent87 , @KamoteJoe , @ anyone I forgot?).

I'm going to be rolling through NYC on the way home to PA next weekend. I'm hanging with friends on fri night, but might have a few hours to kill before my train and wanted to hit a couple of thrifts to find some stuff for myself. Traveling light, so I'm not going to be buying a store worth of things haha. If you have anything you can recommend, let me know (PM is fine). I won't spread the word!

I'll be in Manhattan/Brooklyn for the most part. I have a feeling I'm going to be paying 4x thrift prices for stuff relative to here, so I'm only planning on finding a couple of things.If I can find a leather jacket in my size, I will be elated!

OliT

Reaction score

Guys,

Any opinions on Walkover shoes? They're on sale at VP now, and the loafers (made in Maine) run about $160. Seems like a decent deal.

Update on this: From what I can tell, they're produced by the old Highland Shoe factory, that was bought up by the same company that owns the Walkover brand. Unsure about leather quality, but they look pretty nice.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Predacator???
Woah!!!

Haven't seen that in years

Fosho! That **** was super rare!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like how the hell no one cop this and saved it for me?! Score!!!!!!1
@eazye those are beautiful. Hit me up if those don't perfectly hit you ;)

@barrelntrigger i don't know what to say, killed it with that haul. Makes me want to study abroad in Japan and rack up all the hidden grails in the field.
Thanks bro! Not everything was thrift prices but 80% of what I coped were discounted heavily. For instance, that Post Oalls chorecoat with the beautiful throat latch was like $30. The wife coped 7 beautiful silk kimonos for like $5 a piece.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems