• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sorrry for the double post, I forgot my favorite piece: Samuelsohn for Paul Stuart, 100% cashmere. Fits me like a glove right off the rack.

holy **** dude.

Trafalgar braces Ive been getting about $185 a pair for lately.
Huntsman can you please post in my vintage thread?
A&S Im up to about $350 on one.

That is a hell of a score you had.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Yea, as much as I like my job, I don't want to be a cook forever, and they say it's never too late to go back.

A bit late to the party on this but that's awesome. I went back to school recently after a few years working a job I disliked and life has been 1000x better ever since. Best of luck in the program.

No kidding, the synergy is strong.

Gotta say, I run into Evisu like half the times I go thrifting. Didn't think the eBay ROI was very good on it, and would never wear it, so I never pick it up.

so the jobs at prada and cucci fell through but I was just informally offered a job at the rl flagship in sf \m/ I guess being super trad pays off. also I have finalized my college plans, due to my parents complete lack of any funds to pay for college my new plan is to go to berkeley city college and get a ****** apartment with my punk friend who will pay his rent through his band and working at ameoba and my genius friend who will go to berkeley and pay his rent by tutoring I will work at RL and continue thrifting while I take only like 1 or 2 classes at a time so I can get guaranteed A's because I already have a bunch of credits from ap's so I only need to take a few classes before I transfer to berkeley and major in business with a social sciences minor \m/ any thrift thread homies in berkeley or oakland?
(I may work at the new gant flagship instead though because I have more connections there and they give you a free head to toe outfit when you are hired...)

Your plan sounds a lot better than his plan.

Soon, my friend. Still talking her into entering Thrift Store Runway.

Huge score, that's great! So much awesomeness with members lately. Way better than when everyone was losing their jobs a couple months ago.

I know, crazy. Some universities are free. Students choose to finish their "Matura" and immediately begin working or go on to university. They can also choose a different route than the Matura and begin an apprenticeship with a company/store/shop or in a trade. There were actually student protests when they raised the fees a few years ago. Previously, there were no fees and students got upset. Of course, the remainder is paid by us (taxpayers), so it's all relevant. Everyone received the same deal (education paid by the state or you receive pay during your apprenticeship), so it all works out I suppose.

It is awesome, but all you Americans who are jealous just remember: they have to pay a tax for their TVs and radios. So who really has it good?

Congrats on all of the big life changes - Eazy, Capn, & 330!

Anyone want a denim tux shirt? 15 x 34. AVAILABLE

Nobody has said this yet so allow me: that is amazing. Wicked find.

Also great haul GMMcL!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

holy **** dude.

WUT?
($1 each) :hide:

Too slow.

:slayer:
The A&S cashmere I found a few weeks back is up on Ebay, starting at $199. Almost a dozen watchers. Rarely get that many at that starting price.

Just to be clear: That's the highlights from the last SEVERAL WEEKS. Not just one score.

Passed a few days ago on an awesome Zegna taglia exclusivo solid charcoal because it was a MF orphan. And several awesome squares today because they were machine sewn. WTF with that?

This is *******....awesome.

Assume you were quoting the song that shall not be named, so FTFY

Jowen

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Wow - that is a beauty!! Nice score!!
Sorrry for the double post, I forgot my favorite piece: Samuelsohn for Paul Stuart, 100% cashmere. Fits me like a glove right off the rack.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
holy **** dude.

You don't say...

I have somewhere around 50 of those in inventory... didn't figure they were worth mentioning
rotflmao.gif

Friskydingo

Reaction score

Gotta say, I run into Evisu like half the times I go thrifting. Didn't think the eBay ROI was very good on it, and would never wear it, so I never pick it up.

I leave all of it except the selvedge, that I proxy to one of my friends. Some of the designes are worse than Ed Hardy.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are a few pics of the Aloha Shirt I found today, taken with my real camera... If you can comment on the material of the buttons or the fabric, I'd appreciate it. I can't tell whether it's rayon or polyester.
This is awesome! Love it!
i like the navy one best My 3rd RLPL find. first was a shirt, second a pair of slacks, now a suit. NA on the bay.
Nice! :slayer:
Anyone want a denim tux shirt? 15 x 34. AVAILABLE
Damn, I'd be all over this if it were 16.5 - 17.
I see your womens kiton is doing better. :)
:nodding: :D
Yeah, but hopefully not too much better, Nataku. My gf wants it, so dibs! For a lawyer-to-be.
Free shipping if you win. :) I'll get those measurements for you tomorrow!

Last edited:

CesarC

Reaction score
+1 Lovely jacket. The cut seems somewhat simple, but elegant.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Wow - that is a beauty!! Nice score!!
Quote:
fistbump.gif

Quote:

UNAVAILABLE

After that GW incident when some lady snatched my heavy winter gloves, I headed to Marshall's where I picked up these nice Dents for $15 (normally don't quote prices, but seems more appropriate for discount stores, yes?).

Faconnable linen shirt for me

Two tartan Pendleton blazers I gave my sister for her birthday.

I also picked up some more things for myself: a Pearl Izumi Polartec half-zip mid-layer I am going to use for running, a striped RL Sport shirt, and some nice brown captoe semi-brogues made in Italy by Cable & Co.

AVAILABLE

PRL Made in Italy full-strap loafers, 10D

Field & Stream blue flannel, size L

Gitman Bros. with what look to be bone buttons

bone, right?

Lorenzini shirt in black, marked 15 L. Passed on this a few weeks ago but was 1/2 off, so I got it.

Thrift/discount/vintage fit pic from last week, after I went to a speakeasy with the gf and some friends:

Details:
Chinos: J.Crew, thrifted
Vest: untagged, thrifted
Tie: Oscar de la Renta Couture, thrifted
PS: untagged, C21
Socks: local discount store
Hat: Borsalino for BB, local vintage shop
Jacket: bespoke velvet blazer, local vintage shop
Shoes: Hanover shell cordovan longwings, local vintage/consignment shop
Shirt: CK Silver, discounted retail

The 2 local vintage shops are on the lower end of the price-scale, equal to and sometimes significantly lesser in price compared to some of the pricier thrifts (especially west-coast, from what I gather).

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't say...

I have somewhere around 50 of those in inventory... didn't figure they were worth mentioning
rotflmao.gif

You don't say...Why am I not surprised by this anymore. We are not surprised at anything you do anymore, Matt!

I leave all of it except the selvedge, that I proxy to one of my friends. Some of the designes are worse than Ed Hardy.

Did somebody say SELVEDGE???!!! LOL! +1

For those gents that are going back to school, I support it! After 4 years of hiatus, I finally went back to take my senior thesis class, essentially a research class on contemporary problems in the wonderful world of criminal justice!

I don't want to open up a can of worms...So any comment on the matter please direct them to me in the form of PMs...I did my thesis on the efficacy of gun control. If you are really interested in the matter, please PM me and I'll send you a copy of my paper. It's only 20 pages. So it's a light read.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit thrifting.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

*Gasp! Wait a minute, what do you mean you quit thrifting? You are never ever going to buy anything from a thrift shop? Hmmm, that's hard to believe...I'll give you a few months to maybe a year before the you get bitten by the bug again!
biggrin.gif

Unrelated to thrifting, big shout outs to Friskydingo for keeping an open mind to read my research paper on gun control and giving me feedback! Awesome!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I quit thrifting.
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif
Sure you did. And even if you did, you'll be back. You can't quit it...it's like crack baby. You'll go a day or two and say you've quit. Then you'll drive by one and say "one stop won't hurt me". Next think you know you're down on Skid Row at this hole in the wall joint with a arm load of fine Italian stuff. Who you trying to kid baby...you know your an addict. :nodding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads