1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went back to the place that had the Hobers/EG Cappelli and another Hobers was put out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BBGF, Canali Flannel, Turnbull & Asser, Hilditch & Key

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRL Cardigan w Big MOP Buttons, PRL Hand Knit Fair Isle

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 x Rugby Ralph Lauren Selvage

[​IMG][​IMG]

Florsheim Imperial V Cleats 12 B

[​IMG][​IMG]

RLBL Flannel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billy Reid Camel Hair
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LVC 1954s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

How many of you guys hit up estate sales. I've been considering it lately, but haven't pulled the trigger.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Cardinale, seemingly hand made, blue blazer, dual vent. Patch pockets x2

40L

Pics soon...ish.

4. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

I do, but its mostly for non-clothes stuff in all honesty. All the ones I've been to have been pretty bad for men's clothing. I have to say though that there are usually cufflinks, but not too much else. If you have the time and want to look at other stuff then go for it, if not I would pass. It's worth looking at estatesales.net and estatesales.org in addition to craigslist for them if you are interested.

5. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Are all Bally's a thing? Found these tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are these womens? Didn't seem like it until I looked at the photo.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  6. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Truth. I know it's small potatoes, but I found my first Sulka on a day after a state-shutting-down level snow storm.

7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Yeah their stuff is mostly awful and rather Ed Hardy-ish, aesthetic-wise. I picked these up because they were nice, slim herringbone wool pants in my size, something I'd been looking for for a while. I wouldn't suggest picking up anything by them as a rule though.

8. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Also, any reason to think this isn't legit? Tag seems a little crooked but it's also stretched slightly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ps-sorry for no spoilers. Posting from phone and can't get the HTML right for some reason.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Doesn't cost anything to "pull the trigger" and go to an estate sale...I go to maybe 6 or 7 a year only because I've scored well 2 or 3 times in the past, but they are a waste of time for the most part and I only go to sales that look really interesting. "Living estate sales" should be avoided as they are glorified moving / garage sales. Estate sales put on by a company are almost always at or above full retail, then they pull the nicer items out on the final "half off" day...on top of that, they will move items from last week's sale to next week's sale of an entirely different estate. Pretty much a racket unless it's a true old-timey estate sale, in my personal experience. I've found much better deals at regular old garage sales. That said - as mentioned, I have done really well a few times on items the sellers had no idea about and neither did I - just rolled the dice and got lucky. If you've nothing better to do, go check a few out! I also like going to live auctions when I'm out of town in podunkville - never know what will come up and they can be crazy fun.

10. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

it has to drop to less than -13F (-25C) for it to be much of a deterrent here

11. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Yup - Rich college towns are great, kids take their SWnD stuff to consignments to get $4 beer money for $200 jeans their parents bought them. Just have to know where the kids all go. I do.
    here, when it gets over 105. I was at a SA this summer when the AC had gone out. But it was half price day and I wasn't going to miss it!

Those are GREAT. My first shells were Hanovers just a couple weeks ago. My second were Aldens, so just keep your eyes open.

Blazers:
    Pal made in Korea? Legit? It feels fantastic, like heavy flowing silk and the buttons are cool. 100%? 55%/45%? Google translate is striking out on this one.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brooksgate hopsack, 3/2 roll, unfortunately only 1/3 of the buttons [​IMG]
    Made up for it on the sleeves, 4x each. Bought it to harvest spares... then picked up the DB below with the exact same buttons the next day.

[​IMG]
    Brooksgate DB, all buttons intact.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Valentino, first time I've seen solid cast brass buttons on anything. Very dated coat though and not in perfect shape, may harvest...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

Its a fake, Pal.

1 person likes this.
  13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Bummer. Still has price tag and recently purchased, so I get to return it to Savers. Could be worse.
    Thanks-

14. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

[​IMG]

Is this 7 fold?

1 person likes this.
  15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Pfffff, I wish it were like this in Minnesota. Trekked out last year during a snow/ice storm. Roads were terrible. What usually is a 30 min drive took 1 1/2 hrs. Tons of accidents and clogged up freeways due to snow/ice and accidents. Got to my first stop to find half the city there at the Goodwill. Everyone must have taken the day off from work to go thrifting. -25 f air temp maybe? Nope, might as well be 75 and sunny. Everyone's still out like it's a regular day. :brick:

16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hell, even I was out thrifting in Minneapolis at -10 last winter when I visited...

17. Harvitz81

Harvitz81 Senior member

Need advice on this -

Was out thrifting this evening and passed up on a NWT Peruvian Link 100% alpaca sweater. Kop or not at $30?

May head back tomorrow as it did fit me, but weather too warm here in northern Cali for it. Saw it as store was closing and was too indecisive.

18. Jonny Foy

Jonny Foy Member

First of all, what or who in their right mind would want to be rescued from being crammed up against a smokey, piss-stained old suit? If you find the right one, you'll never have to work another day in your life. Giambattista himself couldn't tear me away, even if he offered me a spot in back of his cashmere-laden cart. Second, nice pic. I like the Romper Stomper hems on those jeans. Finally, let's just be clear: I didn't start a flame war with 'Tex - I ended it. Keep those fit pics comin' boys!

19. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Senior member

Finally getting some good use out of the ignore button.

3 people like this.
  20. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.