1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow, that is insane! Amazing hauls all around, actually. Hermes cashmere outerwear jackets, Kiton cashmere suits, Charvet & Loro Piana.... I'm guessing you're either from San Francisco or LA.

2. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

here is the big version
    thanks
    i think its 7 fold, its a golden fleece and very differet from any other tie I have.
    definitly several folds f not 7 fold

[​IMG]

3. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

Wow! Cashmere Hermes!!!

4. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

sparrow: It's probably a six fold (I had a recent GF tie that was a six fold) but people call six folds seven folds often (including me).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

tx chet

Spooooooo
    ostrich? some other fine leather?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Some quick research...
    [​IMG]

So, you know, you got that going for you.

7. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

found two beautiful shirts earlier but passed. curious to get some input if it was a wise move. a Kiton button and a an isaia shirt. both in great condition, but both had small letter initial embroidering. on the lower chest. found it to be an odd place to have embroidering. worth a cop or a good pass?

also found brioni "roma" coat. the sleeves only had two buttons though which made me think it was adjusted. good pass?

all my first of these lovely pieces, sadly, i wasnt sure if it worth the pickpu.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Never leave brioni kiton or Isaia, especially in decent condition....

1 person likes this.
  9. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Good condition Kiton and Isaia are never a good pass, embroidery can sometimes be removed without a trace. If they were reasonable I would've picked up, same on Brioni, could be older, thus 2 buttons, would have to see pics.

10. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

First picture looks like Stingray, closeups not so much

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+10000

12. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Why is it so hard to find a decent pair of flat front slim fitting gray dress pants? been looking for a few months now... Found piss stained Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, etc. Nothing worth picking up. This is torture!

13. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

Are we really this picky???!!! I wish I had your problem...

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Evening folks. Just got back from a conference and had a chance to stop by my first Savers. Actually, my first thrift store of any kind other than Goodwill.

Picked up some nice things. I won't bore you with the shirts or ties but I ran across a couple things I wanted to asked you guys about.

First, Ran across a nice pair of flannel pants. No brand or ID but it had wolf's head buttons:

[​IMG]

Is this some well-known exclusive line of pants that I'm crazy for having passed?

ok. This next item is probably the single nicest garment I've seen in a thrift store not to mention most other men's stores I've been in.

This is off of an elegant 100% cashmere hand tailored overcoat. All hand finished, working button holes, terrific buttons......Also, the canvassing that I can see from the hem of the lining is all hand shaped and sewn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at the stitching on the arm hole. Its about a 46. I didn't pick it up because no where on the document does it say that it is cashmere but I'm 99.98% sure it is. So the fact that there's not a cashmere tag and its a hong kong product and not english or Italian, I didn't know if it was a flip candidate.

However, any of you guys near Potomac Mills, Va Saver store can pick up a great overcoat for $25. If I could have worn it, I would have bought it.

15. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

I meant in my search for a decent pair. Never usually check pants and those came up as i searched during the last few months. Trust me, you wouldnt of liked opening the lining and seeing that mess. I would love to find any decent pair ( Brooks Bros etc) and slim them myself but nothing yet... Been rocking a NWT Calvin Klein pair i found in the meantime.

16. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I rest the case I started with Pnut.

Gray trou are the UBER STAPLE. And anyone who knows enough to buy gray odd trou knows that and wears them until they've literally slipped the surly bonds of Earth. (Sometimes the pents, sometimes the wearer. Either way, that makes them rare).

Said it before, will say it again. I NEVER leave a store without looking for a decent pair of solid gray dress flat fronts, in worsted of flannel. After several years, I have exactly 4 pairs, 3 of which I received in a trade.

Just sayin'

Speaking of gray pents, here's your daily thrift fit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

today i found unicron zanellas.
    no pleats.
    but blood stains.....
    didnt pickup.
    [​IMG]
    Thx, stingray would have been cool.

18. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

@gmmcl dem shooz

Damn Hermes cashmere outerwear? I think this is up there with Wes's possibly 1800s BB fox hunting coat as one of the best finds in the thread.

Not as nice, and also not from a thrift, but this baby ticked all the way down to $25 on yoox

[​IMG]

Hand work
    [​IMG]

Also, you've got to love yoox. Even at $25 I was hesitant to buy because it was listed as 95%cotton 5% elastane.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

haha alright. learning mistake. figured i'd learn by asking as well. thing is they wouldn't be for me. not my size. any value on tossing embroidered shirts on the bay? (also please feel free to let me know if this is not the appropriate place to ask this, i figure since it is already the topic)

20. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

The slim-fit flannels from Uniqlo are surprisingly good and inexpensive. I had just bought some Brooks Brothers Milano flannels and some J. Crew Bowery flannels when I got these. The Uniqlos were easily my favorites of the lot (and 1/4 the price).

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.