• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
As with my Cucinelli, which was flawless/unworn condition, I don't get who would donate such nice things.
I would guess it came from some wealthy clotheshorse who bought more than they could wear. One of my friend's mothers was/is like this - buys tens of thousands of dollars of stuff, pops the tags, and half of it ends up getting donated unworn after a year or two. Incredibly wasteful, but these people do exist.

rubin749

Reaction score
Here are a few bad webcam pics of the Domenico Spano jacket I bought last weekend. The sleeves have surgeon cuffs, and are clearly too short for me. Does trying to get a button added and the fabric taken out as much as possible make any sense?

Snapshot_20091106_14.jpg

Snapshot_20091106_17.jpg

Snapshot_20091106_20.jpg

A recently thrifted Lorenzini linen/cotton shirt is underneath.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
Hermes suit in perfect condition (pretty sure it's recent--maybe you guys can help me out here). Super 150s and marked as 54R drop 8R. I'll be putting it on B/S once I take measurements and figure out how much to ask for it. As many of you have noted, I don't know how much things are actually worth, so if someone would also be kind enough to help me out with regards to that, that'd be awesome. Oh, and I also got an old as f*** women's watch that I am 95 percent sure is a real Rolex-datejust. Smooth back, 2.5 magnification, etc. I did not, however, find a darned pair of Chelsea boots. Been looking for a pair for a while now.

2h2doab.jpg

Cheers

Jon, amazing finds!! You've probably made the thrift find of the year right there! Told ya you were in a great locale for thrifting!
worship.gif
worship.gif

Gutman

Reaction score
Some desert boots for NZ$9 last week. Totally new, but I've now worn them a couple of times.

They have some sort of nylon lining in the quarters, vinyl edging on top of quarters, are thick suede rather than reverse calf, but very well made. Brand is "Lytefoot", made in NZ, so I would guess 70s or 80s because of the logo style and that was when our shoe manufacturing industry died. I almost didn't buy them cos of the rather snub-nose toe, but they go well as a "boot" rather than shoe / chukka. Very comfy. I'd forgotten how crepe soles "burr" - I haven't had crepe shoes since the 80s.

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Ok, where the hell do you guys go where y'all find great stuff?

I live in S. California and the stuff we get here are mostly junk. Anybody from SoCal who has actually had any luck finding any good stuff? If so, where'd you go?

myke

I'm from San Diego and whenever I go back to SD from school I hit up the thrift stores and I have the same problem. I see you're in Long Beach so this is a bit of a drive for you, but if you're ever in the San Diego area, make sure to check out Escondido as they have quite a few stores thrift stores worth looking at. Also check out some Churches. A lot of them have their own tiny thrift stores.

JonHecht

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
I'm from San Diego and whenever I go back to SD from school I hit up the thrift stores and I have the same problem. I see you're in Long Beach so this is a bit of a drive for you, but if you're ever in the San Diego area, make sure to check out Escondido as they have quite a few stores thrift stores worth looking at. Also check out some Churches. A lot of them have their own tiny thrift stores.
I'm in SD and in the past week I've got a recent Hermes and a mint brioni. Just keep looking.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mainy
I would guess it came from some wealthy clotheshorse who bought more than they could wear. One of my friend's mothers was/is like this - buys tens of thousands of dollars of stuff, pops the tags, and half of it ends up getting donated unworn after a year or two. Incredibly wasteful, but these people do exist.

I'll admit, i'm guilty of that. Doesn't matter so much when paying thrift prices though.
lol8[1].gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you might imagine given my total absence from this thread in recent weeks, I have not found much of anything in a really long time. I haven't been able to look as often which should account for something, but when I have been out it's been a total waste of time - at least clothing-wise.

But, I recently stopped at a store I hit only once every couple months. No clothes worth grabbing, but they had some fantastic LP's - mostly Classic Rock but still a whole wack of LP's to add to my collection. They used to sell them for $2 a piece, but now they're selling them for $0.10! For a grand total of $3.48 (including tax) I took home the following 32 LP's all in VG+ to NM condition:

Beach Boys - Friends
Beach Boys - 20/20
Beach Boys - Surf's Up
(Basically 3 of my top 5 B.Boys albums and I didn't have them)

Beatles - Help
Beatles - VI
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
Beatles - Let It Be
(Had a couple of these, but I don't mind duplicates for .10)

Blood, Sweat & Tears - 3
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears

Bronski Beat - Hundreds & Thousands

Chilliwack - Dreams, Dreams, Dreams

CSNY - 4 way street

Diana Ross and the Supremes - Greatest Hits

Doors - Strange Days

Isaac Hayes - ...To Be Continued
Isaac Hayes - Joy

Jefferson Airplane - Bark

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

John Lennon - Imagine

Joni Mitchell - For the Roses

Laura Nero - Gonna Take A Miracle
Larua Nero - The First Songs

Mothers of Invention - Burnt Weeny Sandwich

Orpheus - Orpheus

Paul McCartney - Ram
Paul McCartney - Tug of War
Paul McCartney - Band on the Run
Paul McCartney - McCartney
Paul McCartney/Wings - Wild Life
(More of a John Lennon fan, but I'll take 'em home for .10)

Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

The Who - Tommy

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Wow, that's a huge price drop! Wish I could find LPs for .10 anywhere around here! Anyway, nice score on those! Especially the Orpheus (still looking for a copy of this sucker), Doors and Mothers of Invention! Were the Beatles original Capitol releases on the black w/ rainbow band label?

JonHecht

Reaction score
I apologize, but I am hijacking this thread... again. Today made the hermes look like sh*t. I got NINE Savile Row jackets, all mint with the exception of one (it will be easy to spot) which has one cuff damaged (looks like some maniac dragged it on the ground!!!!). These include a ton of John Kent, 1 Henry Poole and 1 Gieves and Hawkes. I also got a bunch of ties-- 1 Hermes, 1 Henry Poole, and a ton of Stephens & Co (there were so many Stephens & Co that I left about 4 behind!). I also got a suit that is very nice (not pictured, so as not to take away from the other stuff) that I hope that you guys can shed light on. It has the inside Bond's 5th Avenue tailored in Rochester. It is beautiful, fully canvassed, double vented, fairly skinny lapels. Anyone know anything about it? Note: I did not take any pictures of tags, because I am already going to be showing a ton of pics. I will get my photographer friend to take full pics later. I measured *one* jacket for the hell of it, and am going to assume the rest are all like that. I will take actual full measurements at a later point. The measurements are (henry poole): Chest: 43 Waist: 40 Arm: 25 Shoulder to Shoulder: 18.25 Length BOC: 31.20 I will be on for about 30 minutes after this post to answer questions, and occasionally checking my iPhone. After that, I'm going drinking to celebrate! (And buy a new pair of jeans that I need). So glad I went to that Goodwill on impulse. Never been there before! I'm leaving the pics at full size so that you can enjoy them in the full glory--I don't care if it stretches the page, this one is worth it. They are all John Kent until I say otherwise
1zbe4g9.jpg
This is the one with the damaged cuff.
2zituz7.jpg
2q9j3fq.jpg
11ipfno.jpg
2vifuwj.jpg
acerf7.jpg
2dcg7ep.jpg
Gieves
24nllz8.jpg
Poole
k3wtxz.jpg
All have working buttons, whether they're single or double vented varies from jacket to jacket.
2ih57vt.jpg
2w59gep.jpg
The ties will be sold on here--not sure what to do about the jackets yet. All are sport jackets (with the exception of the obvious blazer). And I think this proves the guy who said that there are no good SoCal thrift stores wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads