• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
I've been scared to buy from rakuten; scared of scams, scared of the prices, scared of the way Mozilla cuts the Japanese up into angry little lines...

Chrome auto translates into decent Engrish and converts Yen into USD, boiiiiii. Scams, you say? I figure it's not as airtight as purchasing from domestic eBay, but it's a pretty well established site. I'd say it's closet to purchasing from brick and mortar stores via Amazon. Sure, you could get scammed but don't those stores face losing their ability to do business if they freely scam several buyers?

Also, I've noticed that one seller I've been watching on eBay crossposts his Rakuten sales, albeit at much higher prices. Everyone thinks Japanese brands are some sort of unicorn, but they're plentiful and affordable over there. Shipping is the real *****, though. EMS is fast, and expensive.

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
managed to hit a few places today no brioni
frown.gif

j4xfj.jpg

vintage oxxford
M2nmL.jpg

ralph lauren sweater, cotton, medium, available
3MMKU.jpg

Ah15X.jpg

canali wool cashmere
6JaCj.jpg

canali super 120's suit
jQuns.jpg

skeet skeet
ndY6A.jpg

crazy prada techno fabric shirt... like a synthetic flannel
9KrNm.jpg

allen edmonds
hbbcw.jpg

KoYgZ.jpg

grenson boots in pretty good shape
LMd77.jpg

black benchmade alan macafaee loafers

I ALMOST picked up a pair of Prada pants with the exact same tag as the shirt. WTF Euro trash likeness.

Holy ****! I don't like the way he dressed but damn, WTF!!! Ebay that **** or donate it to that wax museum so they can dress a wax dummy and call it Cedric the Entertainer or some ****!

There seems to be a lot of confusion about Gant in this thread, I figured I'd share what I know, to enlighten my fellow thrifters:
Gant by Michael Bastian- Most expensive line, current, also only started F/W 2009 (10 maybe) so very recent
Gant Rugger- Also recent, step bellow bastian but same idea, remakes of archival gant clothes, think this line only started 6 or so years ago so also quite recent
Gant- Shield logo, recent but not worth picking up, along the same idea as penguin or ben sherman
Gant Blue Label- Crap, 90's, 80's, 70's cheap remakes of trad, lots of polyester, If you can find shirts that are all cotton they can be good for you but not flipping
Gant The Rugger, Gant Shirt Makers, Or Gant Made for X Men's Shop- Vintage tradly goodness, not sure about the flipabbility but definitely nice stuff. The Rugger often refers to the fit (tapered body) however I have seen Gant The Rugger Blue Labels which I think lean towards later 60s Early 70's and can be pretty nice.

I recently picked up a Gant Rugger shirt with that "R" shield on the breast pocket. Chelsea Trill. But made in the Philippines...WTF? Where does that fit in? It's a white shirt with 1/4? lined with blue fabric. Blue label with white writings.

Sorry no pics, my phone is being a ***** almost cause me to smash it against a wall.
ffffuuuu.gif

You motherfuckers, no one wants my billy reid or rag and bone? I still have a true size 41R that is just a tad off on me :( Oh yeah, its a solid charcoal chester barrie flannel, single vent flat front suit...HOLLACHA BOY

Bro, DIBS IF FITS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You motherfuckers, no one wants my billy reid or rag and bone? I still have a true size 41R that is just a tad off on me :( Oh yeah, its a solid charcoal chester barrie flannel, single vent flat front suit...HOLLACHA BOY

Bro, I think we just assumed you were gonna ebay that **** to get $! I would totally ask for the Billy Reid if it were denim!

Oh btw, measurements on that FF Ez by incotex 34/33, please! I just saw that! lol

Oh yeah, props on the Sander and CB flannel. Now, go and pick up a camel hair jacket in a 39S with MOPs!!!

<3

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yet more from Friday's haul

Harris Tweed, Made in England by Alexandre - 40S

Brooks Brothers Silk Wool Linen Blend SC 42R

Brooks Brothers Tweed 42S

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Pin 42R 36/29

VTG Tweed with wooden buttons, canvassed - 42R

L.L. Bean Bomber 44

Banana Rep 38R

Banana Rep 42L

Gray Chalkstripe Tweed, Suede Patch, double vent 40S

VTG Bold Gren Plaid Tweed - Canvassed 42R

Old Label HF , Grayish Blue with Royal Blue Pin Stripes, 44R 37/29

Old Label HF Charcoal Glen Plais with Burgundy Overcheck, 42R 37/30

Old Label HF Grey Herringbone with Blue Stripe, 44R 38/29

Oxxford Onwentsia, 44R

VTG Tweed Top Coat 38-40R (22 p2p)

VTG Woolrich Shirt-jac Large

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That bomber is it. :slayer: If I weren't afraid of home rXn it would be mine!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I didn't quite get an answer last night. Has anyone had experience with Toscano as a Brand? I found a decent amount in goof condition, all say made in Italy and I thought I recall seeing them sold at Full-line Nordstrom stores in the past. Flippable or Floppable?

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
http://i.imgur.com/9bm0O.jpg This is the Lanvin I'm looking for, right? Vintage perfume. Spoo, pick up or leave behind? Thought it was cool and different either way worth the poast Hmm. Try that again
9bm0O.jpg

Last edited:

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfumes have expiration dates. They go bad.

Last edited:

guyver00

Reaction score
Holy **** snacks, I finally found something good! :slayer: After saying I haven't found any decent brand names, this landed in front of me. Mind you I still haven't found anything from Vancouver. Weird cocktail cuffs too.

Not sure what do do about the tear at the collar. Should I try to fix it by swapping out the collar, or just harvest the buttons and put the shirt out of its misery? Or trade it here?

Edit: and what is the name of this kind of collar?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads