• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weeeellllp

I did exactly what I said I wouldn't and bought something not my size.... on the first time out, and probably made a mistake, because it was literally just a whim. But that doesn't mean I won't post them and make an ass of myself.

Barker Brown Leather Brogues 8.5:

So, how bad did I do? Also they will most likely be available pending one friends thoughts on them.

definitely not a mistake!

edit: woops i thought they were "barker black" which retail in the Crockett and Jones 600-700$ neighborhood, i assume these are an uncle :)

Last edited:

flatspotting

Reaction score
You could have done far worse. They won't flip for much, but the quality is okay--better than any mall brand.
Works fine for me, I wasn't looking for huge profit or something :)

If anyone on here wants them PM me, I can do the $10 I paid + shipping - if not I'll just ebay them for something similar :)

Thank you for the reply! It's appreciated, I am so new to everything here!

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Came home empty handed today, but had some near misses: Pendleton navy blazer (a little too small), BB cotton sweater (didn't like the color) and a Loro Piana half zip pullover (not my size). Oh well.

Attachment 53807

One of my earliest posts and mentioned that I left a Loro Piana Roadster pullover behind. :embar:
Nataku set me straight though and I picked it up and traded to him for a great Brioni jacket.

Last edited:

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Works fine for me, I wasn't looking for huge profit or something :)

If anyone on here wants them PM me, I can do the $10 I paid + shipping - if not I'll just ebay them for something similar :)

Thank you for the reply!  It's appreciated, I am so new to everything here! 

Anytime. Very generous of you, but be careful about posting prices in the thread as it's a touchy subject around these parts.

flatspotting

Reaction score
Anytime. Very generous of you, but be careful about posting prices in the thread as it's a touchy subject around these parts.
Ooooo that I did not know.... noted for the future :)

Alright.. here's a ridiculous question. Sizing on the Shoe shows 8.5, presumably a UK8.5, as they are made in England?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: I think he's trying to offer it at cost ($10) + shipping
fing02[1].gif
which has never been a problem here IMO. Only a problem when people try to use this thread as advertising to make a profit, hence you better not ask for $11

uote:
Still trying to figure this one out....first though was MG but as Andro org said, no MG but only time I've ever seen this kind of label is for MG and it is a Loro Piana Storm System tailored for Neiman Marcus

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See the few posts above this one - I'm trying to figure out the same as well. Seems like others are saying that ALL BBGF with that tag are Greenfield - "MG" or not. What led me astray was an ebay listing I saw quite some time ago with the same scenario where 2 labels were the same, one with MG the other without, and pointing to the "MG" as the difference indicating that it was a Martin Greenfield piece and the identical label lacking the MG was not. So at this point I have no idea.

I think he's trying to offer it at cost ($10) + shipping
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
which has never been a problem here IMO. Only a problem when people try to use this thread as advertising to make a profit, hence you better not ask for $11

Still trying to figure this one out....first though was MG but as Andro org said, no MG but only time I've ever seen this kind of label is for MG and it is a Loro Piana Storm System tailored for Neiman Marcus

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal with Orvis, anyway?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he's trying to offer it at cost ($10) + shipping
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

I agree with all that's been said: very generous, and the way to do it is say "cost plus shipping" then take it to PM. As a new guy, though, I'll warn you: There are a few sharps who will take advantage of that so they can flip on ebay.

I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DEVOLVING INTO A "WHAT HAS THIS THREAD BECOME" OR "MORALITY OF THRIFTING" WASTE OF TIME DEBATE

So just save it.

I'm just trying to alert a seemingly very broseph-y new guy to some of the hazards. 90% of us are on the same page; a few are not.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

flatspotting

Reaction score
I agree with all that's been said: very generous, and the way to do it is say "cost plus shipping" then take it to PM. As a new guy, though, I'll warn you: There are a few sharps who will take advantage of that so they can flip on ebay.
I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DEVOLVING INTO A "WHAT HAS THIS THREAD BECOME" OR "MORALITY OF THRIFTING" WASTE OF TIME DEBATE
So just save it.
I'm just trying to alert a seemingly very broseph-y new guy to some of the hazards. 90% of us are on the same page; a few are not.
To be quite honest - the big thing I've learned over the years of being parts of various forums for goods - getting a reputation is worth more than some cash early on. So I would rather be a bit generous now, and have people see I am not some tool than just come out the gates trying to make every penny I can.

Now, that's not to say I have some objection to making some extra money, I am just getting into this all myself and have an all-but-empty wardrobe, so the cash will help, and hopefully will come later.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Too honest! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads