1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Today's finds....*

Fuck, I forgot to include this:

NOTHING IS AVAILABLE FOR NOW

I'm in the midst of the most haphazard and poorly planned and rushed (I have 2 days) move in history (in fact, today I should have been packing instead of thrifting), and all this is going in a box, nary to be found for at least a few weeks while I get my shit together.

I'm legitimately sorry. The timing is bad/insane.

...entirely styled in the Noobizor school of poasting

Alright, so today I found some pretty cool shit from the wonderful world of MC that we all know and love... way more than we love SWD...

I found some pretty sweet and seasonally appropriate shirts...

[​IMG]

recent EZ, recent Burberry London, kind of awesome Thomas Pink polo jersey type deal, BB short sleeve gingham seersucker shirt

And then I found some pretty sweet shirts that are perfect for a lanky Androfan...

[​IMG]

8x (forgot one) Brooks Brothers Slim Fit shirts (about half are the thicker All Supima Cotton), all in Androfan's size. All perfectly minty/possibly NWOT (they all had the "store folds" going on and were crisp). I left, I shit you not, about 25-30 others, all slim fit, many all supima cotton...just because.

And then I found some shirts that get you bros' hearts beating...

[​IMG]

Canali, MINT RLPL, RLPL, EZ, Brioni

And then I found some of that neckwear that you bros so love...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EZ, Brooks, Brioni, PLEATED Brioni (I've only seen one of these posted...a Stefano Ricc by Nataku, to much fanfare IIRC), Ben Sherman skinny (for me), Boss black

And then I found something I thought was rad, but may very well be worthless, but is still going into my "cool old shit" collection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I asked a family member about this, and apparently it's an "Officer's blue" uniform (even though it's jet black). It's apparently the formal "dress" wear for officers. Trying to amateurishly date the tags, it looks like it's probably Vietnam era at the oldest, so probably not worth much of anything. Still, I think it's cool as hell, and it's my size regardless, so if all else fails expect to see it in a thrift fit (lol, ya rite). (If anyone knows about old military gear, more deets in the spoiler pics, and would love some help dating it, Nataku).

And then I found something I found some boring shit *YAWN*...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nicest Harris Tweed I've found with (real?) coin-styled buttons (side vented, narrow lapel, unlined shoulder, made in England for some brand I can't remember), NWOT BB mainline Loro Piana Zelander, (the only) NWOT Jack Victor (I've ever picked up) Loro Piana 100% cashmere

[​IMG]

Pure tits multicolor/stretched button SC (swear to god it was made with a burlap sack...and is awesome), Pure camelhair BB SC, baller Burberry SC

[​IMG]

Awesome (you can't see the purple and yellow windowpane in the pics) Paul Stuart for Southwick SC, Southwick 3/2 sack tweed unlined trad jizzfest SC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baller Oxxford SC with even baller-er brass buttons

And then I picked up some orphans. I mean...wouldn't you have too?...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Belvest SC (??...at the least, an SC'able orphan...solid navy, side vent, S120s), RLPL SC'able orphan (Chester Barrie, side vent), Isaia not-at-all-SC'able, but fuck you because: Isaia

And then I picked up some monkeysuits for you monkeys...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(the only) Mani (I've ever picked up) - cashmere blend, tits soft nice textured beatersuit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Loro Piana Tasmanian S120s grey glenplaid w/blue windowpane suit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Older but ridiculously nice EZ grey w/blue windowpane suit

...and that's what Androfan found today dudes!!!!

"But wait, Andro," you start out, trying to hide your disappointment. "I thought you said you had some epic level shit going on today. So far you've posted a few decent pieces, but this is THE thrift thread of THE internet. You've got to deliver more than that dude."

"Well, shit, now that you've put me on the spot, here are a few more pieces, I guess," Andro mumbles, clearly embarrassed....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henry Poole side vent pinstripe orphan #1

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Henry Pool side vent pinstripe orphan #2

"Yeah, that's right...TWO Savile Row pieces in one day...and they're both from a SENATOR" Andro excitedly exclaims, chest pumped outward.

"But Andro," you continue, dejected..."those are just two orphans. Granted, they are bespoke fucking Savile Row pieces, which basically never show up here, but really, they're just orphans, so who gives a shit"

"First of all, goddamn if you aren't aggressive. And second of all, I'll have you know, the place I picked these up from has a good record of delivering pants after the fact. But, fuck it. I'll give you more, you ingrate..."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baller Huntsman bespoke side vent SC (or, SC'able jacket), in a thick visible birdseye...all the bells and whistles you'd expect

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely an SC (based on the buttons & color) bespoke side vent Henry Pool SC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hutsman side vent bespoke 6/2 DB SC (or easily SC'able with some brass button greatness)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bespoke Hutsman SC with MOTHERFUCKING FUNCTIONAL MEDALLIONS as buttons. I really cannot explain to you the amazingness of these buttons. They weight a metric ton each and look regal as shit. Trying to figure out their composition, but there's no way they're filled...they're definitely sold throughout. They have a bunch of pictures and then some writing that looks to say ".958" on the back of them, and appear hand stamped. I will try to take pictures of the backs of the buttons later to figure out wtf they are.

"Still," you frumpily claim, not really even believing your own bullshit at this point, "yeah, a few SR orphans and actual SC's, but it's not like you found a SR suit or anything, so big whoop..."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hutsman Bespoke side vent RECENT (2000) navy w/pinstripes suit. I handled a Kiton Super 180s BlancBlu suit, and the fabric on this SHITS ALL OVER the Kiton. I can't even describe it. The threadcount has to be north of S180s, but of course the epitome of class Huntsman doesn't note a threadcount. This. Thing. Changes. Lives.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Just...see asterisk above.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Well, I might as well follow that up with my (comparatively) weaksauce haul from San Francisco/Burlingame today...

Bike Stuff (clockwise from top left):
    Swobo cycling jersey(one of the decent makers I left off my list)
    Zoot Triathlon jersey -my size, and it matches my bike, shoes and helmet...
    Santini Giro d'Italia cycling jersey
    Louis Garneau Metromint Team skinsuit (last year, I believe) -my size, but I don't think I'm
    Giordano Motorola Team Full-Zip cycling jersey

[​IMG]

Shirts (clockwise from top):
    Brioni Flannel (??). Pretty cool.
    Brioni Sport
    Eton

[​IMG]

4. brianG

brianG Senior member

Mulholland Brothers weekender bag. Tag indicates handmade in America. Riri zips. Nice cotton lining. I kinda like this better than the Dunhill, so I'll have to move that soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

^^Wow! Money!!!!!!!! Someone musta really like their pooles! [​IMG]

I found a similar Belvest today but I was level headed enough to leave the orphan be...Shit, on second thought, I should have coped...[​IMG]

6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I DIE.

I want it ON THE RECORD that I am going to respect your request for clemency and NOT PM you. But you KNOW I want to. When I finally do, please give me some creds for having been the only one who exercised some restriant.

NICE WORK, SIR!

2 people like this.
  7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Greg looks great, but its like Bill Buckner winning a world series. You will just never forget some things.

That is AWESOME.

I also have to give big shout to NATAKU for totes hooking up a sick bridle leather savile row Foster & Sons case for Uncle Spoo's vintage luggage collection. YOU DA MAN BRO!

Andro, thats a great haul, well done.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

9. Beck

Beck Senior member

2 leather coats today by Kuhlman and a nice new pair of jeans

[​IMG]

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I love that you quoted yourself....

...and I'm not even the faintest bit sure why.

1 person likes this.
  12. JDMills

JDMills Senior member

Salvation army was having a 'formal wear' sale, jackets, dress pants, dress shirts 99cents. So of course I scored an awesome Tombolini double breasted glenplaid suit for 2$ and a Mani black with diagonal white bead stripe sports jacket (I have to wear black to work at the moment ick so itll do), for another 99cents. What kills me is the number of beautiful suits but whose pants have been sold separately, checked 3 or 4 times on the pants rack and nothin :(

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Spoo just implied I won the World Series. (Unlike Buckner, unless you're counting him as playing for the Mets.) I'll take it. (Though I'd prefer VOATS IN TTO'S POLL.)

1 person likes this.
  14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

FTFY

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

[​IMG]

16. Beck

Beck Senior member

Eh jerks like you are the reason this place sucks and causes hundreds of people to lurk. Criticizing everyone's finds meager or not, the only ones people give a damn about are people who have been here over 5 years or Spopoker. Which I see nothing more then a little secret club house hangout. This thread was made to show off thrifting/discount finds and all day long i see "BALLER THAT IS GOING TO GET SO MUCH MONEY $$$$$$. If it isn't a response in an obscenely large font its people swearing all the time. No one is just nice and the values that you all know are thrown aside. This thread is full of sellers and hobbyists, I find crazy hauls and don't really care about posting them because the effort will be blown off by some superstar finding a Pimp cane or something stupid and the most i'll get is low ball offers from lurkers. Been here since 2011 and it's only gotten worse.

FTFY.

1 person likes this.
  17. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I'm quoting this for the pure mindblowing meta epic of it vis a vis my reputation on this thread, and a perceived point made directed at my post...and for nothing more.

Also, post #71901.

So...so close.

18. DanM

DanM Senior member

Nothing really photo worthy - picked up a few BB items for myself an my b-i-l, Bruno Magli loafers and AE Bradentons, and a pair of YELLOW Oxxford trousers... 34W 36L. Now I feel both overweight and short.

19. wcl

wcl Senior member

I have mostly lurked here almost weekly since 2006 and the place seems about the same to me.

[​IMG]

20. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

What?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.