• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It is their job, but I prefer to do it myself both for speed and safety of the haul.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

:rolleyes:
This was a for-profit thrift store, and it is their ******* job to remove hangers from clothing and scan it through.

It is true that it is their job to remove hangers. But you really shouldn't expect them to do their job well.

At most for-profit consignment shops I am in, the person ringing usually is either 1) working for merchandise, and not happy that you grabbed something nice before they could skim it, or 2) has absolutely no sales experience and is just trying to build up experience before leaving to work someplace that pays a respectable commission.

Either way, you are awfully optimistic to expect removing clips from a part-time employee who makes less in a week than the retail price of said tie.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Nice score on the shoe buffer. I love mine.

Thanks. I had the shoe buffer inside the golf case rolling it around inside the Goodwill browsing.

I always like it when the cashier takes the nice silk ties and wraps the SC around them then stuffs it all into a plastic bag.....

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, that's right: You're the Romney weird-o, or whatever it is they call folks who post stuff like you posted. Let's talk after Election Day, okay? And not here. This is a thread devoted to thrifting. Am I being stalked or something?

Speaking of Romney weird-o .... There's been a fairly nice green camel hair-ish Hickey Freeman sportcoat at the GW around the corner for a few days. It's an old label, and is a 42 long, so I haven't picked it up. But a dude was looking through the suits today for a 44 L, so I showed him the HF. He was adamant about it not fitting without even trying it on, but he did say, "Hickey Freeman! You know who wears that?" " .... " "Bill O'Reilly!" Another woman was picking up sportcoats for fabric uses.

I should stop trying to help people.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift/eBay Fit and also cross post from MC Casual:

BB Sweater via TheWGP
BB Dress Shirt via 518aata
Small Baller pants via the Rack (Louis Raphael)
AE Weybridge via eBay

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Romney weird-o .... There's been a fairly nice green camel hair-ish Hickey Freeman sportcoat at the GW around the corner for a few days. It's an old label, and is a 42 long, so I haven't picked it up. But a dude was looking through the suits today for a 44 L, so I showed him the HF. He was adamant about it not fitting without even trying it on, but he did say, "Hickey Freeman! You know who wears that?" " .... " "Bill O'Reilly!" Another woman was picking up sportcoats for fabric uses.

I should stop trying to help people.

I've tried a few times and it's mostly pointless and just wastes my time. I'd still help if someone asked, but I'm not volunteering any more.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, yeah, that's right: You're the Romney weird-o, or whatever it is they call folks who post stuff like you posted. Let's talk after Election Day, okay? And not here. This is a thread devoted to thrifting. Am I being stalked or something?

yea your being stalked, when you make stupid sarcastic remarks be able to back it up, now go back to thrifting

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just sent out 3 PMs (limit of 8 usernames/PM) to everyone that said they wanted to be a part of the secret santa gift exchange. If anyone else would like to join in on it, shoot me a PM and I'll add you to the list. Minimum 50 posts (not exclusively in the thrift thread) to join.

We'll be doing ties/pocket squares/small accessories, $25 limit. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'll keep it open through Friday or Saturday and then draw names. :nodding:

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lurker%5B1%5D.gif
Someone direct me to the thread where this interesting political conversation started...please?

trust me not that exciting, just i dont like drive-by ridicule without backing it up

matt22616

Reaction score
Sup dudes. Used to follow this thread daily but took a hiatus for awhile and only recently returned. I've been meaning to take photos and measurements of some thrifted SCs that either didn't work out or I've been hoarding with the intention of selling/trading. If one of you guys really wants one of these I suppose I would entertain selling, but I WOULD GREATLY PREFER TO TRADE. Some of the recent discussion about people whoring their wares in this thread struck a chord with me. Generally, I like the idea of this being a place to trade and B&S being the place to sell (yes, I realize that there's a dedicated thrift-trading thread, but honestly, I feel that this is a better venue due to the amount of viewers/posters/great finds). I realize that not everyone feels that way and I got no beef with people that post to sell, I've done it myself at least a couple of times I'm sure. So, without further adieu, the SCs! Measurements will read as follows: Shoulders/Sleeve Length/Length from BoC/Chest First is a HSM GT blue plaid SC, tagged 40R. Awesome pattern, high quality, made in the USA, yada yada yada. Almost brand new, still has a retail tag in the chest pocket for $595. Wish it fit. 19"/24"/31"/22"
8119954792_7a2e63f7f8_c.jpg
8119942577_ca5f990efd_c.jpg
8119955374_56097d0d88_c.jpg
This is a Hugo Boss 3 roll 2.5 blue blazer, tagged EU48. Very nice fabric, side vents, again, almost brand new. Tag looks familiar, pretty sure it's Italian, lardini? 18.5"/24"/31"/21.5"
8119943157_fd51ecf960_c.jpg
8119955836_38e6bca236_c.jpg
8119943701_f7851f4959_c.jpg
8119943979_645819a15e_c.jpg
Very badass black and grey herringbone tweed with a red overcheck. Half lined. I had this tailored in the chest and waist to fit me but I already have two herringbone tweed SCs. That said, it's boss, so it might take something pretty cool for me to trade it away. 18"/25"/30"/19"
8119956644_c90d7c5c0f_c.jpg
8119944501_2c33088983_c.jpg
Basic Tom James glen plaid SC. Still has lots of wear in it left. Tried to take it in in the shoulders and waist but it just wasn't enough. 18"/25"/31"/19.5"
8119957162_6ccebec8fa_c.jpg
8119945035_3f0ae87870_c.jpg
Saks house brand 100% bamboo SC, tagged 40R. Cool weave, like a navy and royal blue mix. Again, too big in the chest and waist. Never got around to having it tailored and found another SC w/ a very similar weave. 18"/25"/31"/20"
8119945247_b0002b5f91_c.jpg
8119958012_a5d55d742d_c.jpg
8119945815_22f7e33184_c.jpg
HSM GT navy blazer with cool overchecks, tagged 46R. This is a slightly heavier fabric, perfect for fall/winter. Literally brand new. Pockets are still basted shut. 19.75"/24.5"/31.5"/23"
8119946533_a47421d906_c.jpg
8119958582_7cf0a0d923_c.jpg
8119946249_288a5d15cb_c.jpg
As far as trades are concerned, as long as it's fresh, and I think it would fit, I'm down for anything really. I usually take a 38R in SCs and suits, 32"W/32"L in trousers, 15-15.5"/34" in shirts, and 10-10.5 C/D in shoes. For SCs/suits the measurements should be close to those of the tweed SC, with .5-1" allowance for stylistic variation (roped vs. unpadded shoulders, etc.). Holla at me, and good luck thrifting!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is true that it is their job to remove hangers.

OMG are we really going to thread slap fight over the job descriptions of thrift store employees?

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone here operate as hitch-n-post on the bay?

I am not them (I wish!) but I have bought from them a couple of times. Always good service. If they're not on SF, they should be... then again, maybe they'd do unpleasant things to this thread/ B&S!

Available?

... if you're serious, yes. if not, then I'm going to mail it to you anyway just to teach you a lesson. :stirpot:

yea your being stalked, when you make stupid sarcastic remarks be able to back it up, now go back to thrifting

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads