• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Picked up these today. I paid a little more than I normally would for a pair of shoes, but these seemed to be worn very little J. Crew Suede Wingtips Size 12 and available.

Also, anyone ever hear of "Fil a Fil"? I picked it up because it looked pretty nice. Only problem is two dumb pin holes from the price tag.

Sorry for the blurrrrry pics

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Hit one spot today and had some great snags. Left behind one Oxxford suit because it was too far gone at full price...mayyybeee on half off day. All but the mocs and RL shirts are available.
Awesome finds. Lot of brands I hope to check off the list one day.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It has been brought to my attention that:

1. I have accumulated a literal pile of dress shirts collected with the intention of employing the OXY treatment for various reasons; and
  2. I have an equally large pile of shoes in need of cleaning and polishing.

Therefore, I intend to spend the evening alternating between standing in front of my kitchen sink OXY-treating shirts and sitting at my desk polishing shoes while watching online episodes of Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit.  :(

I am currently doing something similar. I have about 10 pairs of shoes that need to be polished, and I'm sitting in front of season 8 of Frasier. Talk about a crazy Friday night.

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Oh, and this seems to be a common item being brought in lately...never seen one before until the others posted and and then bam

Jorgeezy

Reaction score
Anyone picked up any decent black shoes in a UK 9? Let me know
smile.gif

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Wow, and all I'm doing tonight is going to see Jimmy Pardo. Wait a minute...

Eazy - Sorry to hear about that, man. Hope you get well soon. I always try to be wary of the craziness of some drivers when I bike, but all it takes is one asshole.

Also, can anyone tell me anything about Filippa K? I picked up a casual shirt today for myself. Looks nice and the cut is nice and slim, but was just curious to know the 'SF take' on the brand.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Wow, and all I'm doing tonight is going to see Jimmy Pardo. Wait a minute...

Eazy - Sorry to hear about that, man. Hope you get well soon. I always try to be wary of the craziness of some drivers when I bike, but all it takes is one asshole.

Also, can anyone tell me anything about Filippa K? I picked up a casual shirt today for myself. Looks nice and the cut is nice and slim, but was just curious to know the 'SF take' on the brand.

Cool basics a la Acne and APC, though the pricepoint is slightly lower. No comment on the quality of construction as I've never seen a piece, but I think it's generally appreciated amongst the SW&D crowd.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
Fraiser? Law and Order: SVU???

Forget thrifting...some of you fools need to step up your TV series game.

Easy sorry to hear about the HnR.

As for the Polo discussion, what's more American than exploiting some Chinese kids? Our athletes are wearing clothes that some 11 year old had to put together for pennies. Like. A. Boss.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ I picked up a licensed BNWT Gieves & Hawkes 2 piece (made in USA) last year.  It took a couple of tries, but it went for $124.99 or $149.99.  I don't even bother with them anymore when I see them because I don't think it would have done anything if it wasn't BNWT.

Several of the Savile Row houses have had licensed RTW lines over the years, often made specifically to be sold in the US.

Gieves & Hawkes tailored clothing was made by Hickey-Freeman but to a lower standard than HF mainline. KFS tailored clothing made in the US or Canada is also not very good. The recent stuff with the Kilgour name onlly (not KFS) is very good. Some of the KFS accessories are very nice, though, as they often come from the better English makers. Huntsman tailored clothing, often with that great red lining was made in England by Chester Barrie or in Italy by some high quality house. The Huntsman accessories and shirts are very nice as well.

Occasionally you might run across ties from houses like Poole or Anderson& Sheppard which may sell them in their main shops even before they recently established RTW adjuncts on or off Savile Row.. But some items with with Japanese or Korean fabric content labels are by their Asian licensees.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, SVU has Mariska Hargitay (spelling?). Fair enough, other ladies on the original (who seemed subject to Jack's glass ceiling) were easy on the eyes, but Jayne Mansfield's daughter does something for me. Not in the early butch years, but otherwise yes.

I know GMMcl just tried to Oxy soak some wool pantaloons with disastrous consequences, but has anyone had any luck doing spot cleaning on the inside of pants, particularly if the spot is on white, cotton lining?  I'd imagine these have been dry cleaned numerous times, but I wonder if a dry cleaner could focus on an area and lessen the staining at all?

Yes, the consequences of that particular misadventure were quite disastrous -- all the more frustrating because I think a simple dry cleaning would have done. However, a few weeks ago, I was very Oxy-gressive with a few pairs of Tom James suit trousers, one Holland and Sherry. And that went just fine. Jkidd also recommended the Oxy pet product, applied then taken straight to cleaners. Haven't tried that yet.

Several of the Savile Row ...

This was interesting. Thanks. I have a licensed GandH sc I like, but pass routinely. I also pass routinely on the KFS stuff, but will be on the lookout for the kilgour stuff.

Tell me about Arnold Brant. Passed today. Mainy mentioned it. Seemed well made of good cloth, but it didn't fit me right and I was afraid of getting stuck with something I wouldn't be able to move. Separately, anyone ever heard of "Porro & Porro, Custom tailors?"(Yes, snarkers, I will google it as soon as these dang kids fall asleep). Found a killer light blue striped linen SC today, double vent, well nade with handwork. Fits me well, so I don't care much about whether its a grail find. I'm just curious. Thrift fit to come....

Shiny

Reaction score
I’m like everyone else. Not a lot out there. Picked up the following over the
past week.

Been looking for this check pattern on a dress shirt for a while.
Unfortunately, not my size. BB Traditional fit (red lettering) 16 x 35,
French cuffs. It’s also NWT (!). Reluctantly available:

P1010400.jpg

Armani Collezioni pants. All wool. 33” waist/27” or 28 inseam. You
have 2” to let out in the inseam, though. I’m pretty sure these are
not orphan pants (see tag), but I could be overruled. Color is a
darker olive. Available.

P1010407.jpg

P1010408.jpg

Meltonian cream polish :slayer:. Only $1! Not available

meltonian.jpg

1st Florsheim Imperial Vs that I’ve found. Size is tagged 12A, but
there is plenty room for my D sized width. A little pebble grain
action going on. Available.

P1010403.jpg

P1010405.jpg
P1010406.jpg

This if from a Marshalls excursion. Navy pin stripe PRL blue label
suit. Did not cop, but it is red clearanced @ $170 or $180. I tried the
coat and it oozed Italian dreaminess. Wish it was my size. I think
the label is Caruso, right?

prltag.jpg

Cap, I’ve noticed a lot of Penn State shirts/caps/fan stuff in my neck
of the woods. A lot of people seemed to have jumped off the
Penn state wagon. I wonder why... :sarcasm:

Brian: check your email. May have a suit possibility.

Get well soon Eazy.

ellsbebc

Reaction score
16 pairs of cufflinks. You know me.
I've received compliments on all three cuff links you sent my way a few weeks ago. To my dismay, the elephants drew the "Roll Tide!" comments from all four individuals who noticed them

mjt73106

Reaction score
******* awesome! I'm glad you decided to keep it, looks great!
I've got about 15 Pendleton ties, love em! They look really great with tweeds in the fall and winter, I say grab them.
biggrin.gif

On another note, I will be out of the thrifting game for a little while. I was involved in a hit and run last night. As in, I got hit by a car on my bike and the cooltrucker didn't even stop to see if I was still alive. Luckily through my years of mountain biking, I perfected the tuck and roll, so I came away with some nasty road rash, but no broken bones or missing teeth. The Cannondale didn't fare so well however, broken chain and two tacoed rims.
baldy[1].gif
Back to lurking.....
cloud.gif
Be quick to mend! Not a bad idea to let the thrifts replenish for you! Let me know if there is anything I can do. . .

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah man, label is Corneliani. That's an awesome deal...I'd be surprised if you don't get blown up via PM for proxy requests.

This if from a Marshalls excursion. Navy pin stripe PRL blue label
suit. Did not cop, but it is red clearanced @ $170 or $180. I tried the
coat and it oozed Italian dreaminess. Wish it was my size. I think
the label is Caruso, right?
prltag.jpg

Cap, I’ve noticed a lot of Penn State shirts/caps/fan stuff in my neck
of the woods. A lot of people seemed to have jumped off the
Penn state wagon. I wonder why...
sarcasm.gif

Brian: check your email. May have a suit possibility.
Get well soon Eazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads