1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ I picked up a licensed BNWT Gieves & Hawkes 2 piece (made in USA) last year. It took a couple of tries, but it went for $124.99 or $149.99. I don't even bother with them anymore when I see them because I don't think it would have done anything if it wasn't BNWT.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Hey Frenchy, I was just wondering how that auction went that you mentioned quite awhile ago...the one with the watches (I think)?? Did you end up getting them??

3. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

Eazy...bummed to hear about your accident. Heal well.

Took today off to hit a few stores and am glad I did. Just the blackberry for pics, so sorry in advance:
    [​IMG]
    Churchs Diplomat, Park Ave and Alden Shells. Aldens fit me spot on.

[​IMG]
    2x Huntsman SC and 1x Huntsman suit plus Vestimenta unstructured jacket.

$77 total for all of the above.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Here's some passes from the last couple weeks... Just to get feedback

Passed on this Dunhill golf jacket... This one I probably should have picked up, but it was just in okay condition
    [​IMG]

Not something I technically could have gotten, since it was marked sold already, but since Frenchy is back, is this something I should have gotten if I could have? As I remember it this was pretty pricey
    [​IMG]

Passed on this today in my lunchtime fruitless thrifting visit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something seemed off about the nova check... Good pass or should I go back and see if it's still there?

5. HansderHund

That is a different pattern from Burberry. I can't tell you 100%, but the pattern doesn't look too bad from my perspective. The colors are vivid and the pattern is matched well. If it is cheap, you might want to pick it up to investigate it further.

Is the plaque off or is it just they way it is photographed?

6. concealed

concealed Senior member

its fake dont worry

7. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Good pass. I'm pretty sure they don't put the Prorsum Knight on Burberry London.

8. HansderHund

Ouch, you're right, I didn't look close enough.

9. Randy

Randy Senior member

Hate to hear that. [​IMG] Glad to hear your road skills served you -- I wouldn't have fared so well.
    Randy

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - what every happened to common courtesy? That sucks - what a jackass! Glad to hear you're alright. Bikes can be replaced, people cannot. Take care and hope to see you back in the thrifting game soon!

Grabbed a Manfrotto tripod and a NWT Barbour checkered shirt today. Sz L. Not much, but better than nothing. Sold the B&O system for $450 today to a local coffee roastery. Got a tour and met the owner - really cool guy. Got some free coffee beans out of it too. Glad I found it a good home - it really fit the vibe of their place too (revamped turn of the century warehouse with exposed brick, etc). Sounded amazing but didn't have the room for it.

11. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

What kinda head on the Manfrotto? (if you aren't interested in it yourself). I'd love to see a pic.

Eazy - Take it easy man, that sucks. I've got a few friends that have been taken down like that here in LA. Nuts to that guy for not stopping, special bout of karma waiting for him...

12. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

It has been brought to my attention that:

1. I have accumulated a literal pile of dress shirts collected with the intention of employing the OXY treatment for various reasons; and
    2. I have an equally large pile of shoes in need of cleaning and polishing.

Therefore, I intend to spend the evening alternating between standing in front of my kitchen sink OXY-treating shirts and sitting at my desk polishing shoes while watching online episodes of Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit. [​IMG]

13. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Stay away from SVU - it's like three corn-filled craps french-braided together. The original series is the way to go, Lenny FTW.

14. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Hit one spot today and had some great snags. Left behind one Oxxford suit because it was too far gone at full price...mayyybeee on half off day. All but the mocs and RL shirts are available.

Minty AE Park Avenues in a 10 1/2 E

[​IMG]

Some Eastland mocs for the GF, MiC, not the most excellent Made in Maine.

[​IMG]

These fit me better than almost any shirt I've ever tried on. I've honestly never seen a small custom fit, but the fact that the arms are as long as they are for a small gives me hope.

[​IMG]

You say you like 1/4 lined 3 roll 2 suits (pants not in photo)? BOOM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Non pareil....nothing better.

The pants do have one tiny hole on the front, though I imagine it could be rewoven quite easily.

And these I'm on the fence about because they both have the dreaded pee stain and one has a noticeable pit stain.

But still, Barbera at thrift prices can't be beat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know GMMcl just tried to Oxy soak some wool pantaloons with disastrous consequences, but has anyone had any luck doing spot cleaning on the inside of pants, particularly if the spot is on white, cotton lining? I'd imagine these have been dry cleaned numerous times, but I wonder if a dry cleaner could focus on an area and lessen the staining at all?

Edit: I accidentally posted duplicate images of one Barbera...the first one in the post is now a correction.

15. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Holy crap! Glad to hear you made it through OK. Hopefully, this is God's way of steering you to a Colnago for $14.99 at Salvation Army...

BTW, strictly by coincidence, a get-well-soon gift went out for you in today's mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.