• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know I'm not alone, but I am really enjoying seeing DarkMatter's Isaias, Margielas and Brionis rather than reading about noobs bragging about their Christian Dior Monsieur ties and Brooks Brothers 346 polos. I do get jealous too but seeing others score big inspires me to keep at it when I hit a dry spell.
This thread was getting pretty bad. DM was the breath of fresh air we needed.

x2

I enjoy his posts as well!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I made it out to a new spot I've only visited once before, and I may have hit a small jackpot. Verification please? If these work out they will go towards my interview suiting fund. You guys gave me some hope :satisfied:

Armani Le Collezioni, 46L:

Ermenigildo Zegna, ?L (EU Sizing maybe, difficult to make out):

Nothing wrong with either one per se, but curb your enthusiasm.

Those are both pretty run of the mill and are average stuff. They are likely 15 years old.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, I have kind of quit thrifting. Look how often this thread gets updated nowadays versus in '08/'09. More than 100 posts a day. That screams overdone.
There are 4 problems rendering much of thrifting useless:
  • Many thrift outfits are not putting out much high end stuff and are selling it to premium bulk buyers
  • Prices are too high. When T Hilfiger dress shirts are $15 we've reached a bubble in the market
  • There is just too much competition now and too few scores relative to the past, I have been thrifting 15 years, its totally different now - everyone is brand savvy
  • The fever pitch of ebay flippers is worse than ever, which further erode the spoils
What this means is that its now a waste of time to go out...

This is true, sad but true.

Add that Goodwill are also doing auctions, it wont be long now before they become truly brand savvy and we see high end stuff siphoned off for a discount luxury market where everyone will duke it out over others scraps. Our days of high end finds are numbered.

In the past 6 months, I have already seen a doubling of bargain hunters and I know one or two by name. They aint SF members either. The landscape is changing, most of us will resort to our bargain hunting on eBay.

hmmurdock

Reaction score
Guess we have found the next thing that would be bitched about on this thread. For all the talk about community on here I'm shocked how some of you guys are acting. It's frankly sad you can get so worked up over this. Am I jealous of his finds? Of course. But the true spirit of this thread, hell the true spirit of SF in general is to get attention for yourself. There have been a number of guys who have posted epic finds with regularity on here but this is th first time I've seen so much hate. His **** is legit. It'mos thrifted. Trust me.

It's sad to think this thread has become filled with a bunch of jealous flippers who go aftrr a guy because his finds are better than yours.

My advice to DM...keep posting that ****. The guys who are here forthe right reasons will always have your back.

At some point this thread needs to change or we will continue to run off guys from routinely posting and then this thread will be filled with pics of **** I could care less about.

rocketron

Reaction score
This is all new to me, and not into jealousy, just bragging. Picked up two cashmere sportcoats last week. One is a deep burgundy, Joseph & Lyman for Bloomies, the other has an Oakloom label. Both in pristine condition.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, finally got around to uploading today's haul. This is my first time, so be gentle guys. Definitely some things I shouldn't have bought, but overall I'm hoping this ends up being a successful run. Would love your feedback

Giorgiolinia (mostly) wool sweater. M. Bought for self. No idea about quality, but it's a cool sweater for $3.

Pendelton Button-down collar shirt. Size M. Mine.

Pendelton 100% Virgin Wool Shirt. Very thick shirt. Sz. XXL. It's my new oversized, hobo shacket.

Member's Only Jacket. Sz. 38. Lol, why did I buy this? I can make a few bucks, but it was probably too much to make it worth it. In very good condition though (and my size :embar:).

Barcelino Dress Shirt. Size 39. Is this worth anything? If not really, it's mine!

Peter Millar Shirt. XLT. This one is in the what the hell was I thinking category. Nice pattern though.

Facconable Shirt. XLL.

Robert Talbott Band Collar Shirt. Cool shirt, very soft... probably not worth anything though. 16/35.

Hickey Freeman Dress Shirt. 16.5/34. I think the buttons are MOP too, which is nice if nothing else. Color is much more grey, my white balance was jacked for a lot of these pics.

Another Hickey Freeman. 16.5/35

Alan Flusser Coat. 42R. Pretty sure I shouldn't have bought this...

Walter-Morton 100% Camel Hair Overcoat. This thing is HEAVY! Sz. 41

Hickey Freeman Sport Coat. Partially lined. The pattern on this is drool worthy :nodding: Not my size though, 44-46ish I think?

Hickey Freeman Sport Coat.

Mabitex Trousers. 97% wool, 3% cashmere. Sz 34.

Brioni Trousers. Sz. 40

Zegna Trousers. Sz 36. Less yellow in real life, pictures still off. Small moth hole. Should I have left them behind or get it mended?

Ralph Lauren Canvas Messenger Bag

Oliver Peoples Bacall Sunglasses

Coach Portfolio. A little beat up but it is coach? :confused:

And that Burberry Prorsum trench that I posted earlier...

div25sec9

Reaction score

10-15% of my auctions end now in nonpaying bidders. it's absolutely ridiculous - when i was selling on ebay 5 years ago, this NEVER happened. why? sellers could leave neg feedback and 3 strikes and you were OUT - as in, ebay would actually NARU you (who remembers seeing "not a registered user", i do!). now, you can not pay as much as you want and no consequences. and the seller is still out the listing fee. just ridiculous

My unpaid count is rising too...about 5% now. It's pissing me off; even those with decent buyer feedback have been doing it too; there' no consequences

div25sec9

Reaction score
I picked up these shoes. From what I can figure, they might be Cheaney's (based on the made in England and possibly the 6184/F indicating width F on the 6184 last)... can anyone confirm or deny my findings?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy **** I was joking when I called shenanigans on darkmatter -- shenanigans just being a fun thing to call. I figured that was apparent, but, in light of subsequent posts, I now feel all :uhoh:

Snagged a very cool thin black stretchy cotton shirt by CO-OP, made in Italy. I'm assuming it's that Barney's brand(?), though I've never just seen the words 'CO-OP' on a red label before. Hrm.

I also bought some Margiela replica shooz by selling stuff I grabbed for trades. Does that count? Can I brag about that? :D

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw something with a "co-op" tag like you mentioned today. First thought was Barney's, but passed it up because I wasn't sure.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

UkOCi.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads