The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

+3.

If nothing else it's inspiration to keep me on the hunt and my standards high (or giving up and going retail, ha)

Also, as for what does darkmatter get out of posting everything here?

Duh, it's a preview of his ebay auctions. He's getting watchers and bidders here by whipping up the hype machine to a very well targeted audience. And I'm OK with that, no one's making me bid on his stuff, I like to look

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You can block bidders that have more than X number of unpaid item strikes in a given time period. I set mine and almost never have an unpaid item.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I feel for him...I'm in that same club.

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG]

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Those are SICK!

6. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I've had these same thoughts while slogging through dry spells, but I'm not sure that this is true, at least where I live. GW has been doing auctions for more than five years now, and I still find stuff. Consider what's on shopgoodwill: Some stores list thousands of things, and most of it is utter crap because most of what gets donated to a thrift store is utter crap, and the offerings demonstrate that stores have serious holes in their games when it comes to judging quality--in short, the net is a loose one. The math doesn't allow for keeping fashion experts on staff to figure out what's good and what's crap. If they did that degree of examination and sorting, nothing would make it to the racks. It's almost impossible for any one person to know what's good based only on labels, and so while the BB might get pulled for auction, the, say, Aquascutum does not, and I doubt that the thrift stores around here know the difference between Purple Label and Chaps. Anyone with that degree of knowledge is not going to be working in a thrift store, where pay is low and turnover high.

For sure, the pickings are not as they were before the advent of the Internet and flippers, but, then again, how many folks bought nice stuff that didn't fit them before eBay and sites like this came along? It's a different landscape, to be sure, but I'm not sure that it is a desert, and the oasis well, I think, will always be pretty much the same. It's the Bedouins who change.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I had to leave behind this gorgeous PRL for Corneliani suit, dark brown with a light/white pinstripe because the price was too high ($69). Size 40R, super recent/pristine white content tag, pick stitching all over the place. Top shelf stuff.. If anyone wants a proxy, let me know. Also left behind a Hickey Freeman Loro Piana Tasmanian Super 130s that was around the same price ($69-$75 IIRC). If someone wants a proxy, let me know.

[​IMG]

Also, insane haul from yesterday forthcoming.

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Hey all, this is my first post to style forum. I have been a member for a couple years but never really spent too much time on here until found this thread. I also did not want to post anything until I got through this entire thread. (yes I read the entire 2028 pages, took about 6 months-that's not crazy, right?) Anywho, I would just like to say, reading this thread has been akin to reading a good book and after following it for so long, I feel like I know you guys. I really love the sense of community that goes on here and how (for the most part) you all help each other out, if not with knowledge, then with actual clothes. O.k so a little bit about me. I've been kind of a clothes whore since high school (going to all black public school's in the 90's was sort of like walking into a Ralph Lauren/ Tommy Hilfiger ad everyday). I've also been into thrifting for a couple years, although not really for clothes, mostly records, cool shit for the house. Anyway, I moved to much larger city about 6 months ago and happened to stumble onto this thread again. Let's just say the information that I've collected has been priceless. I've gone from owning a closet full of Nike dunks, to a closet full of kick ass "dress shoes". And my wardrobe has increased ten-fold. For the most part, the clothes I find are rarely my size (38, 32-30) but the good news is that I've got a ton of shit that I would like to trade with people on this thread! I also noticed that a few people seem to not be able to find shoes or pocket squares in their area. Those are two of the things I find the most of, so if anybody needs either of those, hit me up and I will keep my eye out. On that that note, as soon as I figure out how to post picks, I will show you some of the shoes and squares I picked up over the last 6 months. (sorry if this post is long winded, like I said I just finished reading this thread in its entirety last night and kind of had a lot to say)

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

They're for the ladies ;) May be hard to tell from the angle of that pic, but they're rather thin framed. Nothing is to say a guy couldn't wear them though...

10. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Ditto! I found this thread last year and started from the original post. Information on this post has provided me with the resources to better understand what I need to focus on during my new found obsession. I have thrifted for years previous to this, but I did not have the target focus that this thread has provided. The finds are getting better and better. My sister and niece and wife have started to thrift as well. I has been an interesting journey so far. How about some photos?

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Hit one store yesterday. Nothing much to speak of. Did pass on a Sears blazer and thought of Nataku. Is this something you want?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Also passed on a navy 100% cashmere overcoat from a maker I wasn't familiar with. Looking at it on the hanger only, it looked like about a 38-40R. If was pretty beat up inside, but no major rips, holes that I could see. If anyone is interested, I could go back.

12. John Sullivan

John Sullivan Well-Known Member

Allen Edmonds "Cody" size 10 C.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Faconnable cotton white button down collar dress shirt size Medium.
    [​IMG]
    Ermenegildo Zegna silk necktie.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Shoes, shirt and tie are available.

13. eazye

eazye Senior member

O.k, so here is my first photo post, be gentle. These are the shoes I've picked up for my self since about August, I've also sold a bunch of shells and other shoes not my size and re-donated countless pairs after constantly upgrading, enjoy!

A.E. Park Aves, finally found a pair in my size that weren't trashed.
    [​IMG]

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice haul! Just FYI in case you don't know, but Walter Morton is another brand for Hickey Freeman and is of the same quality.

Is the Coach portfolio available? It would go with my vintage Coach messenger bag [​IMG]

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Size and description of the HF?

I'm one of those who can't find pocket squares. Sometimes I find shoes, but definitely still looking (10E-10.5D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.