1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Tip of the cap to Ick578.

We were talking about those buckle strap loafers he found last week (confirmed Church's here) and when there wasn't a trade to be made for stuff I have on hand, instead of moving into "awkward dickering over PM where one of us invariably gets annoyed" territory, his simple solution: "I'll put them on ebay, take your best shot. If you win the auction, subtract 25% off the winning bid for being my thrift thread pal."

I did not win the shoes. His suspicion of what they'd fetch on eBay was about exactly right.

Still, I thought this experience was very good. And gentlemanly. And fair. Applause. I am glad to have helped him in some small way by bidding them up.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Regarding Barbour check shirt, I had one that sold for like $23 if I recall correctly. Small bills yea, but still turned a profit.

:rotflmao:

3. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

I just had a good trade with him too.

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

yeah i figured spoo would have a different ebay seller handle for more low-rent items, so as not to tarnish his brand. balearic2? balearic-basement? balearic-rack?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Those shirts under an alter ego would get 0 page views. Here, I cater to the aspirational customer who lurks my auctions, wants a piece of the lifestyle, but can't afford the real deal $1500 for a Versace silk shirt. Capice?

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

Met up with Workthatwedo to hand off some stuff this evening. He checked out the SA I usually hit, so I hit the Savers that he skimmed. He picked wrong [​IMG]

All of this is available

Paul Stuart DB peak lapel navy blazer with bronze buttons
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GORGEOUS Pal Zileri Gruppo Forall w/ Loro Piana Super 120's suit. It's lighter blue than navy and a very light summer-weight fabric. The jacket fits me wonderfully, but the pants are too slim and can't be let out enough. [​IMG] I'm debating just keeping the jacket and swapping the buttons for light horn or MOP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rough estimates:

18.5" shoulders
    22" pit to pit
    24" sleeve (with about 1.5" to let out)
    33" pants waist
    29" inseam w/ 1.5" cuff

There were a bunch of other Pal Zileri Gruppo Forall suits... I left 2 that I didn't like the fabric and seemed kind of dated. I brought this one home in an olive color. I also found an exact copy of this in a blue / black fabric, but couldn't find the pants. Unfortunately I found this bit of damage by the pocket as I was taking pictures... Fortunately the tags are still on so I can return it unless someone here wants it for cost + shipping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First one of these I've found
    [​IMG]
    Marked a 16/41 with a C next to it... Seems kind of short, is that what the "C" means?

Also these cool Brooks Brothers Irish Linen navy pants... Marked a 35x30, really 34 waist with 2" to be let out. I just got some navy linen pants from jkidd, so I don't NEED these... I could have them let out, but if someone wants these let me know

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

C = "corto" in Italian (short).

8. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Peal is just the name BB uses for their shoes. Alden and others make the shoes. Just about all the shell loafes are Alden.

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Dibs? [​IMG] Especially if it's a solid navy suit

Brooks brothers bought the Peale & Co. name and they brand shoes made by other makers with that name. Those are definitely Alden (made in the USA) and definitely shell.

10. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Baleric Last Call.

11. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Just about fell over when I received the reply from the buyer to the message I sent questioning his negative feedback.

"Apologies, I clearly missed the length size! I need to remove the negative feedback in this case, I am looking into this. Best Regards."

:slayer:

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Send him that feedback revision form STAT!

13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

[​IMG]

14. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Timeline of events:

10:00 Received email from buyer admitting he didn't read listing.
    10:00 - 10:02 Spent letting this sink in as ebay buyers never admit fault.
    10:03 Feedback revision form sent.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Seriously. I'm floored that someone would wear that shirt too... much less pay $1500 for a used shirt like that

16. SpooPoker

How about his wife?

:devil:

17. grendel

grendel Senior member

18. tben

tben Senior member

I've always wanted a peak lapel suit. Alas, something like that is hard to thrift in my size..Awesome stuff..

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Finally some luck. A Brioni shirt in great condition, including the original collar stays, and a pair of Brioni woollen slacks. Total cost $11.

20. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Still no pants for those Zegna suits. Looks like those Holland & Sherry buttons will indeed be getting some use soon...

No Cucinelli or Edward Green today, but some decent finds.

(sorry about some shitty pics - I'm too lazy to adjust the settings for white garments)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fabric on this is fucking orgasmic...
    [​IMG]

Somebody school me on these. They fit well, but have no content tag/where they were made, etc...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Staple color PRL by Corneliani pants all tagged 33R, all pleated and cuffed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mountain Hardwear breathable rain pants:
    [​IMG]

Bally 10D
    NWT LL Bean dog tie
    Charvet PS
    Italian made key case (can't make out maker)
    gloves made in France for Saks, silk lined. For EazyE's lady
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.