The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

While we are talking about eBay, why do buyers wait a week or so to pay? I want my shit ASAP, I can't imagine not paying immediately.

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

The answer to this is easy: You are not an idiot. That does not necessarily hold true with the rest of the world.

3. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

This post has to be the tipping point. Where are you selling this stuff? I'm not hating; I don't want anyone to misread this. But now you're posting $3,000+ of NWT stuff , and I don't see any thrift price-tags or markings. Without links to B&S ads. or auction sites, you might as well start taking pictures of the racks at Stanley Korshak. I know that it's L.A., but we're not getting the whole story.

Quote:

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

I believe he has someone selling for him. I think they are an SF member, too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I found a Burberry like this at GW a year or so back that I had doubts about. Checked the pockets and, glory be, a bar receipt that bore the name of a prominent attorney in town. So I bought it for five bucks, then called the lawyer's office, telling his secretary that I'd found his coat at a thrift store and wanted to be sure that he did not want it back. Nope--he'd dropped weight, the coat was genuine and the sow was mine.

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

No bar receipts unfortunately and not quite $5 (someone at the goodwill recognized the burberry name), but I'd be pretty stoked if it were real.

7. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I don't believe the members here would be opposed to a link to the sales listings. At this point the girlfriend should be past hating the thrifting. I don't find close to what he does and my wife no longer has any issues with my hobby, due to the money I have made.

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    He is legit and actually a pretty nice guy and very helpful. I have had a few small conversations with him within a couple of pm's and he has provided me specific details about some of his items along with his consignor's link to his eBay sales. I don't know why he would go through all the trouble to create such an elaborate hoax.

9. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

For a thread full of grown men, there certainly is a lot of bitching.

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

Just gonna clear the air here - Hope no one thought I was implying anything ill about Mr. Darkmatter. I agree, dude was helpful and nice when I had a few questions for him in PM. More power to him.

11. catside

catside Senior member

Leave darkmatter alone guys. He has to make 60K this year to pay for college since he is going to fail if he spends so much time thrifting.:hide:

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

It's real, just the old Burberry label. They switched from that label about 10 - 15 years ago. It was used forever so there are plenty of these trenches out there (I've seen ones this style on eBay from the 1960's).

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Cool. Any idea what it's worth? I'm going to have the buttons fixed, but not sure I can find the straps for the wrists.

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

+1. I have two Burberry trenches that look just like this. Both of mine have a tag in the inside pocket that shows the year of manufacture. Take a look; you might have missed it.

Not much. But enjoy wearing it. It's a classic.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I can't even find an inside pocket :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.